• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'76 R90/6 cold start problems

grif_57

Hi all,

I was about to post a question related to my difficulty starting the R90/6 cold. Well, I was playing around with spark and gas issues. Yesterday I decided to check my valve clearance. I was sure the right side wasn't right. I pulled the valve covers and lo a behold the left side was too tight. I set the clearance to .006" intake and .008" exhaust. At this point the bike was still a little warm but it seemed to run better. Just to make sure it was running better I took it for a 150 mile run.

This morning, with the garage temp about 60 degrees, I set full choke and tried it. It started right up. Yippee!

I think I nailed the problem and I'm no mechanic. I love this bike!!!

Brian

Congratulations Brian. The R90/6 is a solid reliable bike. Now that you have the valves adjusted try a carb sync and you'll really be delighted. Quite a few airheads still around in this area, maybe we'll meet up one of these days. -Mike

Congratulations on finding the cause of the cold start issue.

Now, just keep an eye on those valves to see that they don't tighten up again. Some of the old airheads suffered from valve seat recession (sp?) meaning the valve would wear deeper into the valve seat, thus causing the gap at the adjustment point to tighten up.

Mark

I think I nailed the problem and I'm no mechanic.

No... actually, you are! :thumbs

Just like the old air-cooled VWs, these bikes thrive on correct valve clearances; and it's so hard to do, isn't it? As mentioned, a carb synch is the next order of bidness ... there's plenty of help here on the forums for learning how to do that.

Thanks guys for the moral support. And maybe, just maybe I'm getting there as far as "mechanic" goes. When my final drive FAILED :cry on the way to Sedalia last year I was able to locate a replacement and installed it and a new set of shocks myself.

I get a lot of help from Bruce... and a buddy at work with a '73 R75. Next onto the carb balance. Carbs are still a little bit of a mystery to me, but I can read.

thanks again

brian

Back