• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Erratic Fuel level Indicator

geobeemer

Extra pieces?
2001 R1150GS - The Fuel level indicator was acting up last fall and yesterday the fuel level dropped to nothing with only 148 miles on the tank. No low level light came on yet so it would seem that the light and the fuel level are 2 different sensors. I have never replaced the fuel filter or had the tank open for anything other than to put gas in it. At times last year when I knew my fuel was low the LCD screen would indicate full and then drop down. As I mentioned, erratic behavior appears to be the norm now.

Since I should probably go in and replace the fuel filter is there something else in the tank that I should be looking for or parts that I should order before I even start?

When you are in the gas tank please take the time to renew all the rubber fuel hoses with the appropriate submersible fuel line. There are 3 hoses to replace, 2, 2" straight lengths, and 1, U shaped hose. Pick up the oetiker fuel line clamps too.

You can get most of what you need at http://www.beemerboneyard.com/r81111r1fupu.html

As to your fuel gauge being erratic, check the vent lines from the tank and make sure that they are in good order. If you have some pressure build up in the in the tank when you open the fuel cap, it would indicate that the carbon canister is plugged. The fuel gauge is driven from a float located in the tube inside the tank. The low fuel light is driven by the float arm that is located in the fuel filter assembly. There are 2 electrical plugs associated with the tank. One inside that controls the the low fuel light, and the large plug on the right underside of the tank. Make sure that the large plug is clean and securely plugged in.

I have checked the vacuum and it seems ok. No change to the guage either once tank opened up or even a rush of air. Thank you for the link. It sounds like I should just order the whole kit while I am in there. I will check the external connector this evening. Thanks guys!

When you are in the gas tank please take the time to renew all the rubber fuel hoses with the appropriate submersible fuel line. There are 3 hoses to replace, 2, 2" straight lengths, and 1, U shaped hose. Pick up the oetiker fuel line clamps too.

You can get most of what you need at http://www.beemerboneyard.com/r81111r1fupu.html

As to your fuel gauge being erratic, check the vent lines from the tank and make sure that they are in good order. If you have some pressure build up in the in the tank when you open the fuel cap, it would indicate that the carbon canister is plugged. The fuel gauge is driven from a float located in the tube inside the tank. The low fuel light is driven by the float arm that is located in the fuel filter assembly. There are 2 electrical plugs associated with the tank. One inside that controls the the low fuel light, and the large plug on the right underside of the tank. Make sure that the large plug is clean and securely plugged in.

They still don't have a replacement for the 180 degree pump to filter hose. Wish they did! The price for that short piece of rubber hose at the dealer is $35.

erratic fuel level indicator - hah!

I got this.
I have a 1998 1100 RT, and every so often this comes back around, usually in combination with rough idle or whatever.
I have a theory that sulfur compounds added more prevalently to modern gasoline leaves a non-conductive coating on the sender.
Dump in a whole bottle of STP Fuel System Cleaner and then fill the tank with fuel. I know it says "up to 20 gallons" but it'll be fine.
The cleaner has detergents that dissolve the sulfur compounds.

I got this.
I have a 1998 1100 RT, and every so often this comes back around, usually in combination with rough idle or whatever.
I have a theory that sulfur compounds added more prevalently to modern gasoline leaves a non-conductive coating on the sender.
Dump in a whole bottle of STP Fuel System Cleaner and then fill the tank with fuel. I know it says "up to 20 gallons" but it'll be fine.
The cleaner has detergents that dissolve the sulfur compounds.

You are right about the sulfur IMO. I clean my sender board every filter change, (sometimes more:mad) with a Q tip and electrical contact cleaner.
Pain in the ass. I can't stand stuff that does not work correctly.
Other brands of vehicles in this area have reported similar problems and the word sulfur comes up in discussions.
I will try a bottle of STP next time to see if it works.
FYI sender resistance should read as follows:
Full: 3.5 ohms or less
Empty: 80 ohms

I checked the connector and it seems fine, no corrosion and wires look healthy. Looks like the next step is STP and if that doesn't help then it is time to take things apart.

Mr. Glaves?

I have to assume that the erratic gauge was fixed at some point in history.
Is the sender a different design nowadays?
Did they gold-plate the contacts on later models or something?
I'm wondering if there is some sort of mod or upgrade possible.

I clean my sender board every filter change, (sometimes more:mad) with a Q tip and electrical contact cleaner.

Alternative, and a tip that was passed on to me, is to clean the contact on the half moon sender board with the eraser on the end of a pencil. Works great and actually helps the sender to read "more correctly" the fuel in the tank.

Back