• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

09 1200rt battery question

I swapped out my Exide for a PC680 after a year. Lost confidence in the Exide's ability to start the bike after such hard conditions as "parked for two days in a 55? garage", because it failed to, and always felt a little sluggish turning over. My primary concern is to have a battery that will always start the bike; I think that Odyssey has a good track record in that regard.

I swapped out my Exide for a PC680 after a year. Lost confidence in the Exide's ability to start the bike after such hard conditions as "parked for two days in a 55? garage", because it failed to, and always felt a little sluggish turning over. My primary concern is to have a battery that will always start the bike; I think that Odyssey has a good track record in that regard.

+1 !

Go with an Odyssey. :thumb

I've had very good luck with Odyssey, and bad experiences with the "BMW" gel batteries. Two of the latter quit with no warning away from home on my current and previous bike, and I required jumps to get home.

I have the Shorai, it's been great!

Since you live in Arizona have you tried to start the bike when the temps are in the 40's? I am interested because I am replacing the battery in my R12R, and with space issues, the Shorai provides more cranking amps than a standard Gel battery, or so says BMW MOA magazine recently. But, they say it does not crank as well when cold. Have you found that the case?

Thanks,

Wayne

Yes, even at temps lower than the 40's. The secret of colder temps is to switch the electric on, and wait 15-30 seconds then start. The load charges the battery from slumber.

I cannot explain it like Shorai did. But that's close.

Yes, even at temps lower than the 40's. The secret of colder temps is to switch the electric on, and wait 15-30 seconds then start. The load charges the battery from slumber.

I cannot explain it like Shorai did. But that's close.

Thanks, I had read that. I am installing one in my bike soon.

Wayne

Keep us posted Wayne. BTW, snowfall, use the Battery Tender.

I use mine in July, August and September when we have over 105F. I just unhook it for an occasional night ride.

Keep us posted Wayne. BTW, snowfall, use the Battery Tender.

I use mine in July, August and September when we have over 105F. I just unhook it for an occasional night ride.

I do use a battery tender (BMW's canbus charger) all the time. I put it on after a ride since it is often a week or more between rides. My battery was only 6 months old last fall when I was in New Mexico at the Sipapu rally and it would barely start the bike. Since then it has scared me many times. The next time I am at Gateway I will pick up a new battery, probably in the next couple weeks. They also recommend the Odyssey battery, but it has to be modified to fit my bike and still does not provide much more power.

Wayne

I put an Odyssey in MY -09 GSA. Modifications takes all of about two minutes. So far, so good. But I also put a meter on my bike called a "battery bug" which tells me approximately how much life is in the battery. I have it mounted up fron t so I can view it while I'm riding. That way, if my charging system begins to fail, I will see it before it is too late. I'm currently shooting a video on it and should have it up on Youtube by tomorrow night. My channel is called "ArmChair Traveler".

I went with a Westco battery from BeemerBoneyard $79.95 plus shipping. 10% discount mention BMWMOA code. My exide failed after only 3 yrs.

Back