• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bent Passenger Peg - How Bad Is This

distributist

Hi everyone,
I've been a member of the BMWMOA for 3 years now, but this is my first time posting here.

I have a 2009 F650 GS twin, and lowsided in a corner late last November. I was fine and most of the damage to the bike didn't seem too bad. However, the most worrying thing was that the left passenger peg got pulled outward when the bike went down. At first I thought I could simply bend it back into place, but my attempt quickly convinced me that I either need a stronger me, a longer crowbar, or both.

The peg is (I believe) attached to the rear subframe. I'm bringing it into a dealership to be looked at on Tuesday, but would like to get some opinions as to whether this is something that can simply be bent back, or whether I'm looking at a new rear subframe (ouch!)

At the bottom I've attached two photos. The first gives an indication of how far out the passenger peg has been pulled out; the second a close up of the subframe, where you can see where it has bent.

Advice and opinions are appreciated. I want to do the right thing, but if I can get away with a less expensive repair, I'd much prefer it.

Thanks in advance for your assistance,
Hugh

passenger_peg_front.jpg

passenger_peg_subframe.jpg

I'm sure the dealer will say that yes indeed, you must replace the entire rear subframe, (as will probably members of this forum). I'd suggest, as long as the subframe is still straight and undamaged and the only issue is the foot-peg mounting, a bit of heat would help the re-positioning and then a spritz of black paint would do the trick. A local welding shop would be my first stop.

Thanks for the advice.

The problem with applying heat, of course, is that it sits right under the gas tank. The dealership actually was going to take it apart and straighten it, but the service manager called me today and suggested that I just hold on. Once they got the seat off, they could see the frame is bent in several places (didn't seem like that bad a tumble - I dusted myself off and continued riding to work) and warned me that the clock could just keep ticking and ticking on this one, as they might find more problems as they take it apart.

He did get the passenger peg down a bit and suggested I just hold on and look out for a used subframe, which could be installed with a couple of hours labour. So I've set up some saved searches on eBay and will be checking with some local salvage places. In the meantime it is rideable, so the situation isn't too bad.

Thanks again for your time and advice!

Hey, at least your OK :thumb If you do apply heat, the paint that is used is really stinky when heated. Some have suggested it's powder coat, if it is, it's a real nice job of powder coating. I think it's why it holds up so well. OM

I repaired that problem on a local bike by removing the subframe and having a section welded in. I can't say it's any better than replacing the part, though, since a bent subframe can be bent in many different ways and a new one is perfectly straight. It still cost a lot in welding and fabrication time. It is worth it, though, if you can find a way to detach the footpeg mount. I wanted to but didn't spend the time on it.

Back