• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

MotoGP Austin

"What I'm really impressed about is that there is some actual RACE talk on this forum. Racing is usually a dead topic here."

I am also impressed that there is a typically Aussie/European Motogp discussion here. This is certainly turning into an interesting season so far. MM and Rossi are making it interesting again. I wonder when Stoner will announce his return?? I see he is working his way up the V8 Super Car races but I think he may return to 2 wheels someday. BTW, those V8s are pretty exciting races with Nascar type contact but with lots of difficult narrow corners like in GP racing.

You guys didn't read my comment closely enough perhaps I should have expanded it a bit...

Yeah, I too find Russell's manner of speech odd, putting it in unoffensive terms. But I've also spent so much time traveling the globe listening to people speak English with varying degrees of proficiency and pretty much any accent you can imagine. So my brain tends to "dial out" accent and proficiency and focus on the message. Was not making any comment on his prior antices, only on what he said at the race.

I stand by my comment that he said a number of clear and crisp things things that explained specifics of race action for those who don't have the experience to have an intuitive understanding simply from seeing it.

As for his colleague, I've already forgotten who it was- he was just another sports talking head of which there are a bazillion on various networks- and he had nothing at all inciteful to say that attracted a millisecond of my attention- just the blatantly obvious that pretty much any person with a normal IQ would notice even if they had no idea why it was happening..

Off the top of my head, I forget whether its the normall Brit WSB or MotoGP commentators who I really disllike. They're apparentloy hired by promotoer as they have literally noting incitieful to say about the racing, equipment or event- and for folks who are native English speakers are even less intelligible than a young Japanese student trying out his first English conversation with a ntive speaker- talk about what not to be proud abouit...It always looks like they're commenting while watching a tape rerun- they often don't even notice positiion changes quickly...

He was a terrible ambassador for the sport. His attitude was as if the world owed him something, his on track behavior left a lot to be talked about. He was often times remanded by the AMA for his antics both on the track and off.

One year , the night before the Daytona 200 he was in a bar shooting his mouth off , some dude took exception to his mouthyness and beat the crap out of him.
Funny that none of his handlers came to his rescue.
He was so beat up the next day he could not race. Yep there's a real role model / champion for ya.

Then there was the episode where he was stopped by the GA. state police for driving his Porsche at a rate over 150 mph on the public road. When asked why , he said" he was Scott Russell" and had to get to the airport.
Yea , I'm real impressed by this wanker/loser.

I was aware of the "bar" incident. A friend was there, he said Russell was talking about the H/D race bike, and it's problems. My friend said? more than one guy started after Russell because of his remarks , and that Russell held his own for a a-bit. He [my friend] never mentioned handlers?

I wasn't aware of the other issues you pointed out.

Not making excuses but allot of guys, in all sports at that level have ..."attitude" I guess it's that star power thing ?

Sure, it's not new, but MM does it so well.

And when you lean off the bike, you shift more weight to the inside. You can counter that weight with more centripetal force, or throttle. Sure, standing it up and gassing it is the goal, but leaning off makes a tighter turn at a given speed. Hanging off doesn't make it go faster, but it allows you to turn sharper.

Agree on all points with a clarification on one. Using this style will allow one to go faster around any given corner (RE-EDIT: I see you said the same thing on a previous post). Its why the racers do it. You'll notice that Marquez' cornering style has his head virtually beside the gas tank. Contrast this with Hailwood from the '60s, Schwantz from the early '90s and then Rossi/Lorenzo. Interesting to say the least.

On the subject of Scott Russell...I quite enjoyed his commentating. Americans murder the English the language in weird and wonderful ways but so does anyone from Scotland :laugh. I was thoroughly entertained by Russell's insight as well as his accent, eh. :ca

The Brit commentator with Russell was Jonathan Green. I didn't find him nearly as intolerable as he is when broadcasting WSB races. And he's a huge improvement on the Greg Creamers and Greg Whites of the world. Gavin Emmet, Julian Ryder and Nick Harris are the English broadcasters one hears on MotoGP.com and they have a tonne (metric) of knowledge and experience behind them.

Finally...Scott Russell got into a fight while bad-mouthing his Harley in Daytona Beach during Bike Week? The man deserves a medal for bravery!

Last edited:
Agree on all points with a clarification on one. Using this style will allow one to go faster around any given corner (RE-EDIT: I see you said the same thing on a previous post). Its why the racers do it. You'll notice that Marquez' cornering style has his head virtually beside the gas tank. Contrast this with Hailwood from the '60s, Schwantz from the early '90s and then Rossi/Lorenzo. Interesting to say the least.

On the subject of Scott Russell...I quite enjoyed his commentating. Americans murder the English the language in weird and wonderful ways but so does anyone from Scotland :laugh. I was thoroughly entertained by Russell's insight as well as his accent, eh. :ca

The Brit commentator with Russell was Jonathan Green. I didn't find him nearly as intolerable as he is when broadcasting WSB races. And he's a huge improvement on the Greg Creamers and Greg Whites of the world. Gavin Emmet, Julian Ryder and Nick Harris are the English broadcasters one hears on MotoGP.com and they have a tonne (metric) of knowledge and experience behind them.

Finally...Scott Russell got into a fight while bad-mouthing his Harley in Daytona Beach during Bike Week? The man deserves a medal for bravery!

That's pretty much the way my friend described it. And he said Russell held his own against {I believe} it was three. Until the bouncers broke it up.

{I} wasn't there, but I know this guy [my friend] pretty well.

I agree, it's good to see some race talk on here. I had a blast at COTA a couple weeks ago. I was up in the stands at Turn 1 all weekend. I watched the race online a day later and it was about as boring as all of the races last year, but on site it was incredible. Who's going to Indy in August?

Back