• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW Scoot-why should I spend $10k for a scoot???

kantuckid

I've currently got scoot fever. It's a disease possibly that's only cured by a machine purchase & in full view of my wife who thinks one is too many( I have several) when it comes to 2 wheels, except bikes, & to her that means "with pedals"!
I've been on "Battle Scooters" on ADV and mfgs websites & currently seeking other good scoot forums for info???
So far what cranks my crank: (& w/o a ride & other than 49cc scoots) I've focused on the Aprilia in 250's & the Piaggio BV 250/300/350 & their Scarabeo & the Kymco People GT 300i. I'm going to ride a People 200cc (too small for my use) just for what it says about that brand and its close to me. The BMW scoots & Burgmans & a few others don't fill my niche as too big & hvy and BMW is waaayyy too pricey too. I'm attracted to the 16" wheel scoots that are larger engines but smaller tupperware & wheelbase. The Kymco with Bosch ABS looks like a good machine but another larger one.
I'm trying to stimulate some useful discussion here toward my search for a scoot & to hopefully discover suggestions for other scoot forums with a decent activity level. :scratch

"It's more fun going fast on a small bike the going slow on a big bike" or something like that. I wish I still had a Mini-Trail 50. OM

You're in the wrong place to start a "BMW scooters/maxi-scooters are not for me" thread my friend - if you want a forum focused on smaller machines, try Modern Vespa.

One really good scooter shop I know that has an informative and entertaining site is Scooter Therapy in Madison WI, I am sure you'll get some good info there on a purchase. Randy, the owner, and I go back to the early 90s when we were both involved in the MSF program. He calls it like he sees it and doesn't get involved with junk scooters he can't repair due to lack of parts, for example. He has a good following of college kids at UW Madison.
http://www.scootertherapy.com/

You should have ridden my Burgman 400 last week before you left early to get home. It's not nearly as large as Ted's 650 and feels very light when riding. By the way, by creeping through the mountains like I did, I got 68.3 MPG.

You want squirrely try an ET4 at 60 mph.
The CGT is relatively heavy but man that CG.
Very stable in the slows.

cgt=c650gt

DSCN0581-L.jpg

Yes sir.

Go small as you can

I've ridden a 125cc kymco for the past 13 or so years without any problems. I Just change the oil and go; add new tires sometimes. It has 90,000 kilometers on it now. I also ride a new 2012 180cc kymco, mostly on the weekends as the 125cc is my weekdays bike. The 180cc has all the power I need.

I have seen the 300cc Kymco you are talking about. It's a great looking bike, with lots of power. If you are looking for the most scooter for the buck then Kymco is the way to go. I like the smaller frame scooter also; they are lighter, easier to move around and park in a big city like I live in.

Actually, for the city, all you need is a 125cc. If you want to get on the freeway, then get the 250 to 300cc. If you want something bigger, the 400 Burgman will take you and your close friend anywhere you want to go; you don't have to have a high priced 600 or bigger to do that.

DW

You're in the wrong place to start a "BMW scooters/maxi-scooters are not for me" thread my friend - if you want a forum focused on smaller machines, try Modern Vespa.
"My friend", "my thinking" is to derive some information from those that might have tried the other machines prior to riding the BMW & other large scoots. This would be a possible place to get those opinions. No insults intended , ride whatever you want to & have a safe, fun time doing it. :wave

Looks just like mine except Mischlers had the trunk all installed already, you going to get a trunk? Really happy with how everything fits in to the space I have for commuting. I picked it up a week ago (last Saturday), temp never got over 40 degrees on the 70 mile trip home, but was fine, felt better with my feet forward, wind always trying to blow up my pants leg when in the lower spot.
So far was able to commute Monday and Tuesday this week, what rotten weather we've been having! Got caught up in all the mess driving the bus to OHare this week, took it for a little swim on 72 (Higgins) during the storm, reminded me of being in New Orleans a couple days after Katrina with the bus.

You should have ridden my Burgman 400 last week before you left early to get home. It's not nearly as large as Ted's 650 and feels very light when riding. By the way, by creeping through the mountains like I did, I got 68.3 MPG.
Ken, my 3 yr old grandaughter was at my chicken house waiting on me as I made the run up my private gravel road to home that evening. Priorities, priorities!:) I wanted to ride it but the day was 392 miles total for me & just no time. I have already read that the 400 Burgman is a much different machine than the 650. Hopefully there's another day:thumb

"My friend", "my thinking" is to derive some information from those that might have tried the other machines prior to riding the BMW & other large scoots. This would be a possible place to get those opinions. No insults intended , ride whatever you want to & have a safe, fun time doing it. :wave

No insult intended here either, was just flagging that this probably isn't the ideal spot for what you said you were looking for! (The overlap of BMW riders and little scooter owners doesn't strike me as all that large, and you're not actually asking anyone for the info suggested by the thread title.) I was serious when I said try Modern Vespa - it's a very active forum for riders of smaller scooters (but all sizes welcome) and you'll no doubt get a ton of useful info there.

I've ridden a 125cc kymco for the past 13 or so years without any problems. I Just change the oil and go; add new tires sometimes. It has 90,000 kilometers on it now. I also ride a new 2012 180cc kymco, mostly on the weekends as the 125cc is my weekdays bike. The 180cc has all the power I need.

I have seen the 300cc Kymco you are talking about. It's a great looking bike, with lots of power. If you are looking for the most scooter for the buck then Kymco is the way to go. I like the smaller frame scooter also; they are lighter, easier to move around and park in a big city like I live in.

Actually, for the city, all you need is a 125cc. If you want to get on the freeway, then get the 250 to 300cc. If you want something bigger, the 400 Burgman will take you and your close friend anywhere you want to go; you don't have to have a high priced 600 or bigger to do that.

DW

My nearby Kymco dealer( a multi location, multi brand dealer for mostly Kawa,Victory & ATV has the People200i on the floor. The sales guy(from SA,TX & a rider) told me they were bullet proof. The offer for an ordered in new/2013 Kymco People GT 300i was $4,700 plus sales tax & very small token amt. add on fee. that scoot has 21 hp/so torque and the Piaggio BV 350 (that I am more attracted to) has 32hp/33 torque which sounds like lots more zoom for a 215# boy & his luggage. No city traffic here, its the hwy or no way if I leave home. The used BV250's out there have same power specs as the Kymco 300i. One weakness in both the Kymco People & the BV 350 is there's no ABS in USA. With Kymco here there is one scoot with ABS, the K-XCT 300i with the same engine , 13" wheels(wider) & different body style.
If I were going the urban scoot machine route I'd buy a Yamaha or Kymco People 200i from what I've seen while looking larger.

Looks just like mine except Mischlers had the trunk all installed already, you going to get a trunk? Really happy with how everything fits in to the space I have for commuting. I picked it up a week ago (last Saturday), temp never got over 40 degrees on the 70 mile trip home, but was fine, felt better with my feet forward, wind always trying to blow up my pants leg when in the lower spot.
So far was able to commute Monday and Tuesday this week, what rotten weather we've been having! Got caught up in all the mess driving the bus to OHare this week, took it for a little swim on 72 (Higgins) during the storm, reminded me of being in New Orleans a couple days after Katrina with the bus.

No I'll likely test those pillion handles and strap a Helen's bag when I take it to the GR3.
You going?
Yes I like the boards my feet have lots of options.
Added a Nav IV.
IIRC this engine was spec'd by BMW but is produced for them by Kymco.
Oh and the ABS works well, don't ask me how I know.

No I'll likely test those pillion handles and strap a Helen's bag when I take it to the GR3.
You going?
Yes I like the boards my feet have lots of options.
Added a Nav IV.
IIRC this engine was spec'd by BMW but is produced for them by Kymco.
Oh and the ABS works well, don't ask me how I know.

Nope, not much of a rally rat at all. I've been to I guess 3 nationals, DuQuoin, Fredricksburg TX (for some odd reason), and West Bend, the first 2 I camped 1 night each, and West Bend was a day trip. I like the "riding to" but not much on the "staying" and just don't socialize that well. I think I went to GRRR once and stayed around for an hour, that would have been later 1980s. Once in awhile I go to a bike night type event, those are OK.

Yes I've read the articles on Kymco making much or all of the driveline but to BMW spec.

I might want to have some work done on the cvt later on, I guess this is common in scooter circles. Just a little too much wind-up for my taste.

I might want to have some work done on the cvt later on, I guess this is common in scooter circles. Just a little too much wind-up for my taste.

I've heard about a JCosta kit. I'm leaving the bike alone until I'm out of warranty.
I don't really notice all that much shake but once you give the clutch control over likely somebody isn't going to like the take up.
Three hours continuous riding yesterday, stock seat seems OK but after 3 I was ready to stretch my legs.

No insult intended here either, was just flagging that this probably isn't the ideal spot for what you said you were looking for! (The overlap of BMW riders and little scooter owners doesn't strike me as all that large, and you're not actually asking anyone for the info suggested by the thread title.) I was serious when I said try Modern Vespa - it's a very active forum for riders of smaller scooters (but all sizes welcome) and you'll no doubt get a ton of useful info there.
Yes the Modern Vespa site is a good one & actually there is overlap of sizes as people own more than one or move up.etc. I just talked to an ebay seller today thats in process on just that. Seems scoot people are often former/current MC riders & also many that never owned a MC or small scoot. It flys all over. ADV Battle Scooters is represents more that have ridden MC's before, like here. My question was designed to have an air of the "Why Factor" that would pull out some serious discussion on BMW & other scoot models too. Some other pretty good scoot sites are Scooter therapy,Scooter Shack ,Maxi scoot,Just Gotta Scoot . The Brits have several too.

Have to agree that Battle Scooters in advrider is nize.
When I need a real good laugh I slide into Head Xplody and try not to wet myself laughing.
But I digress . . .
Lots of input from all over the world.

Back