• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

What aftermarket TPMS fits my '08 R1200RT?

deineder

Picking up on a similar thread in the Hexhead Forum, I started searching for a tire pressure monitoring system. I haven't found many that will fit my front wheel. Looking for recommendations please.

Dale

I'm using the TireGard TPMS product:

BBP-13-315Ajs_300.jpg

Fits on the front wheel without a problem. However, with these aftermarket systems, you ARE defeating the built-in Schrader valve. I've been using mine for three years without a problem, though. You can get more information HERE.

Stock systems have a redundant seal- the Schrader and the stem cap. With this you potentially eliminate the former.

In recent years our club has had a substantial number of valve stem failures, sometimes on brand new rubber stems. These appear to be caused by poor manufacturing quality. In a couple cases. the metal Schrader barrel simply blew out of the rubber stem. In others, the stem sheared off.

If you feel the need for an aftermarket tpms (I don't- IMO they add essentially nothing to safety because they can only warn of slow leaks which present no hazard to me- a catastrophic blowout is the dangerous kind and you will know about that as fast or faster than a tpms will tell you)- you should change to the improved safety of a metal valve stem (note that the RT has one on the front- only needs one on the rear). I prefer the right angle aluminum type (easier access for some gas station inflators) for the rear but the straight steel ones also work well.

{snip}...I prefer the right angle aluminum type (easier access for some gas station inflators) for the rear but the straight steel ones also work well.

Racer - are THESE the valve stem replacements you are referring to? I need new tires this spring and want to replace the rubber stem while I'm in there.

Thanks,

Yes, though I got my supply years ago from a different website. You will like the ease of using this on the rear.
Have them on my 08 RT since almost new with no issues, also put it on a K1200GT bought used..

Be aware that these seal at the wheel with rubber gaskets. And that rubber is actually a "glass", meaning its a flowable solid where flow can be speeded by heat and pressure. On racing cages where wheels get far hotter than on motorcycle, I have sometimes had such gaskets develop a slow leak after a season or two of exposure to high temp as the gasket compressed excessively and hardens. Never seen it on a bike and think its extremely improbable, but is theoretically possible. (There is a whole literature on rubber cold flow from the packaging industry, especially related to keeping injectable drugs sterile when sealed with rubber stoppers.)

One comment on the external mounted TPMS systems - they will NOT work on any hexhead with cast wheels since the fill valve for the cast rims comes out of the side of a spoke, and the first revolution of the wheel will hopefully just knock the sensor off the fill tube as it hits the caliper. If it doesn't knock it off - the wheel WILL abruptly stop turning, luckily at a low enough speed that perhaps no one will be injured.

Theo - how are you using this external system with your RT? Inquiring minds want to know..

EDIT: After some searching it appears that these will clear the brake caliper, but not by a lot. Ones made by Doran (who use a similar externally mounted lump) specifically warn they can not be used on BMW bikes with the fill valve in the rim-spoke (sticking out toward the side) due to it hitting the caliper.

Theo - can you take a photo for us?

Last edited:
{snip}...Theo - can you take a photo for us?

Sure, Don! But please excuse the poor photography and very dirty wheels...

The first picture shows the valve stem transmitter rotated to the caliper's lower portion of its case. Clearance here is at least 9mm.
IMG_1326.jpg

The second picture shows the transmitter positioned at the middle of the caliper's case. Clearance here is about 15mm.
IMG_1327.jpg

In the final picture, the transmitter is positioned at the upper end of the caliper case. This is the position with the least clearance, but it is still between 6 and 7mm.
IMG_1332.jpg

AFAIK, the TireGard TPMS is one of the only external system that can clear the RT calipers. Of course, that was 3 years ago and there may be newer systems that have come to market and are compatible.

HTH,

Theo,

Thanks much. Learn something new every day or so (hopefully..) It appears these screw further onto the barrel of the filler then most other ones like the Doran does. The photos make it all clear.. :)

Thanks again!

Back