Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Latest Problem with vBulletin

Latest Problem with vBulletin

Profile picture won't upload...message says "file failed to upload." Tried two different JPGs each less than 200k.

Is there a more user unfriendly and bug-ridden platform for a forum than vBulletin? Not in my experience....

Bobby -

Sorry for the experience...there have been both file size and height-weight limitations. The height and width limit is in terms of pixels. I believe it was 1000 pixels wide by 800 pixels high.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Bobby -

Sorry for the experience...but file size is not just the factor for uploading pictures. There is a height and width limit in terms of pixels. I believe it was 1000 pixels wide by 800 pixels high.
    OK so given that the error message is so generic as to be useless, where can I find the specs for a "proper" file format?

Quote Originally Posted by bobbymacd View Post
    OK so given that the error message is so generic as to be useless, where can I find the specs for a "proper" file format?
    When I upload a picture, on screen shows a table of accepted sizes for uploading pictures. This is part of it...I was wrong on JPGs...800 by 1000.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Bobby -

Sorry for the experience...there have been both file size and height-weight limitations. The height and width limit is in terms of pixels. I believe it was 1000 pixels wide by 800 pixels high.
    Picture in question is 342 x 194 pixels

Well, less than 200K and 342 x 194 pixels should be more than OK. Not sure why it's not working for you.

Email me the picture and I'll see if I can post it in a test section to see what might be going on.

When I upload a picture, on screen shows a table of accepted sizes for uploading pictures. This is part of it...I was wrong on JPGs...800 by 600.
    Well, I am not "attaching a picture." I am uploading a profile picture. Maybe that is the difference. Apparently I am not alone on my opinion of vBulletin as I came across the comment below.

__________________________________________________ ________________

vBulletin 5.0 ? It?s Crap.
    No comments ? Posted by Veritas in Internet Brands, vBulletin

Have you tried using vBulletin 5? It?s the worst written piece of crap I have ever seen in my life.

I have seen my fair share of poorly written applications in my lifetime, but this by far is the worst I?ve seen. This blunder makes vBulletin 4.0 look extremely well thought out. I would rather recommend an open source application that?s bug infested over vBulletin 5.

To name a few small problems:

Performance ? What the hell is going on? It?s slower than molasses. It is so slow even Internet Brands?s very own vBulletin staff have started complaining that the performance is pathetic.
    Comments - Were the idiots even thinking when they implemented this? It is a black plague to communities. It will disrupt and destroy communities. It is also one of the worst possible implemented posts.
    Bugs - vBulletin 5 is worst than a infestation of bed bugs.
    Don?t buy it. Save your money. Save your pain. Save your frustration. Save your headaches.

If you wanted your money back, you could not get it back. People learned the hard way. Don?t let this happen to you.

Source: http://vbtruth.com/vbulletin-5-0-its-crap/493/

Bobby -

I think Profile and Avatar pictures had a 100 x 100 limit.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Well, I am not "attaching a picture." I am uploading a profile picture. Maybe that is the difference. Apparently I am not alone on my opinion of vBulletin as I came across the comment below.

Have you tried using vBulletin 5? It?s the worst written piece of crap I have ever seen in my life.

I have seen my fair share of poorly written applications in my lifetime, but this by far is the worst I?ve seen. This blunder makes vBulletin 4.0 look extremely well thought out. I would rather recommend an open source application that?s bug infested over vBulletin 5.

Performance ? What the hell is going on? It?s slower than molasses. It is so slow even Internet Brands?s very own vBulletin staff have started complaining that the performance is pathetic.
    Comments - Were the idiots even thinking when they implemented this? It is a black plague to communities. It will disrupt and destroy communities. It is also one of the worst possible implemented posts.
    Don?t buy it. Save your money. Save your pain. Save your frustration. Save your headaches.

If you wanted your money back, you could not get it back. People learned the hard way. Don?t let this happen to you.

WoW.....and we are trying to help
    OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    Type M for Moderator
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I think Profile and Avatar pictures had a 100 x 100 limit.
    That's the way I read it-
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    Type M for Moderator
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

We're running vB 4.2.2 not version 5.0. So, maybe we're not quite to that "crap" level?

Profile picture limit is -
    Profile.JPG
    Dick
    R1200GS '08
    "Hey, where you goin'?" "Nowhere in particular." "Man, I wish I was you." "Well, Hang in there..."

Wow. Don't you think you're being a bit harsh on the people here? We got it. You're telling us not to buy vBulletin. (Not that I'm in the market) And the comment you found on the internet was five paragraphs and the only gripe that rhe poster articulated was that he thought it was slow. Chill.

Block Marketplace Threads?

After being offline for a few days, I returned and found four pages of threads with new posts. Perhaps two-thirds were single-post threads announcing an item for sale or trade or wanted in the Marketplace.

I found it tedious to go through these. Is there a user setting which will block these Marketplace threads?
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

David -

No, there's no way to block those notifications in the New Posts. What you're seeing is Ted, etal, moving some of the old flea market ads into the new marketplace. Once that's completed, the number of things like that should drop dramatically.