• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Suggestions for Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and Labrador this Summer/2013

72r60/7

Going to Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, and few days + in Labrador this July or August. Got any tips on places,accommodations, and eateries/coffee stops, e.t.c.. I have been to N.S. three or four times ('70's-'80's and '90's) and Western Newfoundland a bit once in the '90's. Both were wonderful and the people even better.
Charlie in VA

This may help....

...see the "trip report" on the annual Salty Fog Rally touring ride and the associated map/routes with food/lodging pics attached.

Lahave Bakery

A great small bakery/lunch stop south of Lunenburg on the peninsula of Nova Scotia, a wonderful place that these guys here brought to my attention (thanks guys!) when we were planning a Nova Scotia trip for June 2012. It's in the town of .... Wait for it .... Lahave. Not east, south, north, west, upper, or lower Lahave, but Lahave proper.
Up along the Cabot Trail we stayed overnight at The Maven Gypsy. Quite wonderful with the sound of the ocean out the bedroom windows, and a fantastic breakfast. If I could do it again, I'd stay up there for at least two days of riding the Cabot Trail- maybe three days. Once in either direction- clockwise and anti clockwise, and another day to just noodle about.

Cheers. Safe riding and post pix!

Ride the Cabot trail counter clockwise so ocean is to your right. This way your view to the ocean is unobstructed by oncoming traffic the whole way.

Take ferry from Pictou to Prince Edward Island. Head west near Summerside for many lodging options. It's free to get on to Prince Edward Island by bridge or ferry, but you have to pay to get back off. About $18 for a motorcycle and considered a round trip fare. Don't miss out taking the Confederation Bridge to get back on to Nova Scotia. One of the most amazing bridges you'll ever cross and it's over 8 miles of bliss.

One word about the Cabot trail- It's not like there are lots of motels up there. In fact, we didn't see any motels. B&Bs are somewhat common, but in all the [endless, exhaustive] pre-trip research I did online, looking at guide books, etc.- It still wasn't clear where we'd stay along the Cabot Trail. The Maven Gypsy B&B was casually mentioned by someone at the tourist Info center as we came off the causeway bridge, at the very southern tip on Cape Breton Island. I cannot recommend them enough. We just happened to see their sign as we were winding down our day.
http://www.themavengypsy.com/

We rode the Cabot trail counter clockwise- with the ocean on our right. BUT as I mentioned before, to do it over, I'd give it at least two-three days, and ride it every which way but sideways. It's amazing. I honestly cannot empahise just how great it is.

Don't forget to check the Glen Breton Scotch distillery if you're into such things.
http://www.glenoradistillery.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-LaHave-Bakery/193610480745370

Back