Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Heated Grips just lukewarm not really hot

bikerboy108

Angry Heated Grips just lukewarm not really hot

There is a thread I have commented on and followed on ADVRIDER about the heated grips on my 2014 GSA LC heated grips getting lukewarm and not really hot.. There have been a lot of comments on maybe an ecu issue etc. Went to my dealer and service writer said "several well really more than have complained about it" would like to get a thread going here to see if it extends to the RT and if anyone has any more insight than is available on the ADVRIDER site..

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1030950

From my experience I have found the dealership people "hate" hearing "I read on one of the forums", that there is a problem with ______X.
    Last time I ran into this I suggested that the bikes owner bring a non-contact thermal reader with them and check some of the other bikes for "similar" readings from other heated grip equipped bikes.
    Dealer still wasn't too happy but the grip temperature difference got the dealer to tend to the problem
    OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    Type M for Moderator
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

bikerboy108
    Was it with a wethead? Any resolution... FYI the service writer said many have made the comment of just lukewarm grips.. Just no resolution.. Some have said they don't have the issue. Trying to sort out if across the board? Just particular year, or model

No, not a WH. I like to have plenty of knowledge when a problem arises. You can check the other WH's in stock to see the variation. I get the impression from dealers that this "pesky" warranty type item is something that just takes up their time.
    This also goes back to my feeling that on "high ticket" items, be it a car, truck or bike, a strong dealer is critical. My idea of a strong dealer is, or at least seems, to be fading
    OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    Type M for Moderator
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

bikerboy108
    Read ADVRIDER THREAD as stated.. lots of issues with WETHEADS ...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1030950

My grips get plenty hot, almost too much at 3 bars riding in the high 30's wearing lightly insulated gloves. OTOH, The seat heater needs 4 bars before I can even tell it's on.
    2015 R1200 RT

bikerboy108
    part numbers are the same as my 2014 GSA but button on right hand switch gear . Push it once on high ( Icon of grip with 2 dots on it) push it again on low (icon of grip with one dot) , push again and it is off

^ Agreed. 2 dot high setting on my GSA grips has been consistently functional and very warm.

Purchased my 14 GSA in July. Used heated grips a few times and did not notice any issues. Now with the am temps in the high 20's the last couple of weeks, I noticed the right grip does not heat up and the left grip is pretty cool. Yesterday I rode all day with the grips on and they never heated up. The left one stayed just warm and the right one did nothing. Have an appointment for service with my dealer in a week and will bring this to their attention. My heated gloves are working overtime.

bob

bikerboy108
    My friend has identical 2014 GSA WC we bought them in early spring me April Smitty in March... Started his up yesterday and kept idle above 2,000 kept our bare hands on them on high.. Got pretty Hot , Almost to the point I had to take them off. Did it to my bike today, they got warm not really as hot as other GSA ... Not scientific but seat of the pants.. Really need something more definitive...

to be exact

My grips appear to work fine rolling down the expressway, though (and it might be my imagination) they seem to heat less at lower idle speeds, such as at a stoplight. Perhaps this is a built in feature, similar to radios getting louder at higher speeds (like my CLC).
    Virginia Beach
    current:14 R1200RT 75 R60/6
    past: 11 R1200RT 10 R1200RT 03 R1200CLC

Quote Originally Posted by 12886 View Post
    Really need something more definitive...

to be exact
    http://www.amazon.com/Nubee-Temperat...mometer+amazon

and lots of others, many under $20.

Kool Aid Dispenser! jimvonbaden's Avatar
    I'm a lucky one. At 10-15? below freezing, my grips are hot enough that I have to turn them down after 15 minutes.

Jim

bikerboy108
    Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
    http://www.amazon.com/Nubee-Temperat...mometer+amazon

and lots of others, many under $20.
    Jim
    You got one of these?? Or similar we can get some definitive results??

Kool Aid Dispenser! jimvonbaden's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 12886 View Post
    Jim
    You got one of these?? Or similar we can get some definitive results??
    Not yet, but I think I will pick one up and test a few wetheads.

Jim