• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Cancer Survivors Who ride

Nice hearing your good news, Paula. Keep it up.

I didn't get those documents, but the doc who took the lead in post-chemo treatment (the ENT who did the surgery) talked about those things with me a lot. I didn't feel the need to get it in writing.

Update - PROGRESS!!

Now we're cooking with gas, folks!

It's been a while since my last post. I'm happy to report that things are improving - in some areas slowly, in others by leaps and bounds.

MOST IMPORTANT: I'm back on the bike! Last Saturday, my husband helped roll the bike out and point me in the right direction and I rode all of.... about 1.5 miles. I've lost so much strength that I was afraid to go further -- and, I was concerned about my lymphedema and what would happen. All was good. This morning, I took Sharona for a spin the back way to the local library - about 30 minutes round trip. It was a gorgeous morning, 68 degrees, twisty road and very light traffic. The squirrels, however, were out and were busy breakfasting on smashed nuts on the roadway. It seemed like every corner I turned I found 4-5 squirrels in the road. No problems! I was slow, they were fast, it was a beautiful thing! Still a bit shaky control-wise, but Sharona is light and nimble and just being on the bike was a joy.

Next in importance (read: checks are coming in!): I'm back to work. Just over 25 hours this week - this after starting at 10 hours four weeks ago. I'm SO glad to have started back part time and I'm thankful my employer has been so understanding. My goal this week is to go in at 7:30 and stay till 2:30, perhaps 3:00. Follow-up doctor's appointments have cut into my work hours, but it's all about building up my stamina at this point.

As I've started to work more hours, I've missed my afternoon naps. Consequently, bedtime has come earlier -- typically about 7pm. People tell me I sound tired - but hey, at this point, I'm always tired I say. Talk to me again in another week and I'll STILL be tired, BUT, I will have accomplished MORE.

Onward and upward!
Paula

Thanks Knick!

30 whole hours at work this week. Everyone says they can see an obvious difference since when I started back over a month ago.

I would SO like to be riding to work, but am so tired in the afternoon that I'm afraid too. One day last week, my husband dropped me off and picked me up -- a good thing since that day I over did it was and it was all I could do not to break down in tears on the way home.

One of the things I'm learning is my limits. Once upon a time, I woke up bright eyed and bushy tailed and ATTACKED the day. These days, it's a bit more of a slow start (ha ha ha ha ha!) and instead of going from one thing to the next, I consciously say "OK, I need to build in a break/sit down for a while."

But I'm not complaining!!

I keep thinking about how to give back and how to get in touch with the riding community to share information. If anyone knows about how to set up a website - like free type sites, that would be helpful. I'm also looking into how to conduct online polls (surveys) so that others can share tips, tricks, strategies and experiences. I have NO idea how to do this stuff...although I do have experience with technical writing, and writing survey questions....

Tomorrow -- another ride, a bit farther this time... :) :) :)

Thanks to all of you for your continued support!!
P

Good for you!

And thanks for sharing what you've learned. As you found, there's not a whole lot out here to help.

Have you tried WordPress? Pretty easy to use and FREE! And Survey Monkey might be what you're looking for.

Voni
sMiling

Thanks Voni!

I'll check out Word Press. And I'm familiar with Survey Monkey, so that may be an option too. I'm also looking at PollEverywhere for "live" surveys, but since the free version can only take 40 responses per question, if I go that route, I'll need to have sponsorship.

Got out for a short ride this morning about 7am. We have a nice curvy road to the library and it seems that now that I can concentrate for longer periods, I always have a book to drop in the bin. After I threw in a couple of for-fun detours on the way home, my total ride was about 45 minutes. It was a good ride and I did well, but I noticed when I pulled into our subdivision I was physically and mentally tired.

Early bedtimes are still the norm, and that's ok. :)
P

Laurie - lymphedema

My lymphedema actually improves when I ride as long as it is not too hot. I think the arm position helps in addition to doing the exercises.
Laurie

OK, I've been on all of THREE rides. The first was about 10 minutes (max!), the second was a week later and lasted about 30 minutes. Sunday morning was my 3rd ride, which lasted about 45 minutes. On the first two, there was no measurable difference in the circumference of my left arm/hand/fingers. HOWEVER, after the last ride, the swelling in my left fingers/hand/wrist/forearm were LESS and hour after riding than just before. My upper arm measured GREATER. None of these measurements was astronomical, but they were different enough to warrant attention. Hmmmmmm... high frequency vibrataion? If I ride longer will the upper arm diminish? Sounds like a good excuse for another ride. :)

I have lymphedema under my chin. Two - three hours with my helmet on and it's mostly gone. Riding is now a medical procedure. In early May riding was difficult; have 12,000 miles since then. Hang in there, it will improve.

Hey, Kevin!

Confirmation from my lymphedema therapist that vibration CAN be beneficial. She cited some other examples and said "studies have shown that gentle vibration/bouncing to your body does help activate the lymphatic system. So, I could see how the vibrations from a motorcycle could help do the same thing" - and there you have the official word - RIDING IS THERAPY!

Of course she was a LITTLE unhappy to hear that I've been so tired trying to get back to full time at work that I have skipped some of my exercises on some days... :)

Gotta love it.

Paula, it is good to hear that you are getting your strength and stamina back and riding a bit!

I didn't post here initially because my diagnosis was "just" malignant melanoma. I had a freckle on my upper arm that increased in diameter very slowly over a period of about 10 years. My old doctor didn't think it was anything to worry about, but my new doc here in Oregon thought a biopsy was prudent. Luckily, the melanoma had not yet spread, although it was over 1 mm deep into the skin, which was a concern. I didn't require any chemo, but did require surgery and a sentinel node study back in late August 2013.

I was back on the DR in late September and felt pretty good until we rode some dirt roads in So. Utah. I had a couple of stupid mishaps on the dirt and realized that I was weak, deconditioned and fatigued. I was reluctant to ride because I was sore at the surgical sites and just didn't feel "right." In October, we took off for three weeks on the RT's. I was able to push myself a bit and felt good to be on the bike, but I was pretty tired at the end of the day. In retrospect, I am amazed to see how my strength and stamina has improved over the last few months. I didn't realize I was sick, but I did know that I didn't feel very good.

Not a cancer survivor...

But, 15 years after my ninth heart surgery, I'm darned happy to still be here...

:groovy

Hey, Kevin!

Confirmation from my lymphedema therapist that vibration CAN be beneficial. She cited some other examples and said "studies have shown that gentle vibration/bouncing to your body does help activate the lymphatic system. So, I could see how the vibrations from a motorcycle could help do the same thing" - and there you have the official word - RIDING IS THERAPY!

Of course she was a LITTLE unhappy to hear that I've been so tired trying to get back to full time at work that I have skipped some of my exercises on some days... :)

Gotta love it.

I'll have to see if I can make motorcycle riding work on my taxes as a medical deduction. :brow A little over one year since I stopped treatment. Took my first ride of 100 miles in March then headed to the Yukon in early June. Since then it's been a fairly normal riding year. There is life after cancer and it can be pretty darn good.

Last edited:
Arrghhhh!,

Just wrote a fairly long post and lost it. At any rate, I'm hanging in and will try to repost in the next day or two. I've got a nasty cold and have had enough for the day.

Found out today I have shingles. Evidently not an uncommon occurrence during the recovery process. Doc prescribed an antiviral. How come the warnings on pill bottles never say, "Take with plenty of whiskey. May cause brief periods of brilliance?"

Got a shingles shot prior to the diagnosis, thankfully. One less thing to worry about!

I am back to work full time, but can't do much else. Before diagnosis this was an exhausting job -- so I'm not surprised that a lot of days I'm still in bed by 7:00. Stayed up until the late late hour of 8:00 last night and could hardly drag myself out of bed this morning... ;) I am in better shape overall, the neuropathy is fading, and I'm TRYING to lose a few pounds. I am better at taking a lunch hour instead of working through it, but still need some practice on that.

Best moment of the week: sitting out on the back step in the sun on Saturday (63degrees!), watching my husband wash the car and eating an orange with the dog. She doesn't like oranges, but she's never sure if she'll change her mind about that in the next minute.

Otherwise I am doing well and looking forward to riding season!!

by the way...

"Found out today I have shingles. Evidently not an uncommon occurrence during the recovery process. Doc prescribed an antiviral. How come the warnings on pill bottles never say, "Take with plenty of whiskey. May cause brief periods of brilliance?"​

When your shingles goes into remission - or whatever the proper term is - you can get the vaccine. Happened to my dad, which is what prompted us to get our shots.

I got my confirmation of Prostate Cancer during the Calgary motorcycle show this January. I am on the other side after having da Vinci assisted robotic surgery of the Prostate and Lymph nodes. I picked up an infection in the hospital that has had me quite sick for a week since but am now thinking/working on recovery. My surgeon didn't want to even discuss riding a motorcycle in the information sessions for post op recovery with patients and loved ones but really discounted it (riding) as trivial importance. I respect him greatly for his skill and will be forever grateful but now I have an uphill battle on the home front as well. Am I being unreasonable to shoot 8 weeks prior to attempting riding? Currently I am under orders to lift no more than 10 pounds which is a hair more than an RT.

Last edited:
Back