Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: 2014 BMWMOA National Rally

Having worked for cities and counties for over 30 years I'd say don't hold your breath that BMW MOA or the creator even can do much about those fees. I suppose a group contract of some sort might be negotiated with one entity for one park, but trying to ameliorate the greed or need of the local governments on any scale would be futile. We simply just don't go there while in Minnesota and a few other states. At their state park prices, I would head to the nearest commercial campground with a swimming pool, hot tub, and high speed Internet.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Somebody mentioned Dogs:)

Working Dogs are allowed everywhere we go, if you happen to have the doggy vest and documented dog. Maybe this was answered already. There are no exceptions I know. Shade and trees will be welcome rally feat, less seen at many rallies. Welcome that. With the exception of Redmond, most all our GSGiants have rough camped it many years, too many. It kind a comes with the GS and dirt phenom, but the back 40 of a rally is old. I know, violins in chorus sounding off. We sure have had some great times, no matter. Im a roughneck at heart so I follow my GSA wherever it lands, just some trees and grass are always neat for luxury camps. Randy

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Having worked for cities and counties for over 30 years I'd say don't hold your breath that BMW MOA or the creator even can do much about those fees. I suppose a group contract of some sort might be negotiated with one entity for one park, but trying to ameliorate the greed or need of the local governments on any scale would be futile. We simply just don't go there while in Minnesota and a few other states. At their state park prices, I would head to the nearest commercial campground with a swimming pool, hot tub, and high speed Internet.
    We stayed at Great River Bluffs Campground near Winona. We paid the campsite fee, and each of us paid a $5.00 daily vehicle fee. (we were there only overnight).

There are many commercial campgrounds enroute. One of our favorites since it hosts our local rally, is Money Creek Haven. http://moneycreekhaven.com/ approx. 150 mi south of the Rally, in MN Bluff Country....great roads in the area.

Lanesboro has a city park campground, and several surrounding campgrounds.
    http://www.lanesboro.com/where-to-stay/campgrounds

Along the Mississippi River in Iowa is a great park Pikes Peak State Park:
    Pikes Peak State Park is one of the most photographed places in Iowa. Pikes Peak is rich in natural, cultural and historical resources, and famed for its majestic views of the Mississippi River. Stand atop the 500 foot bluff (1,130 foot elevation) for a breathtaking view and see the confluence of the Wisconsin and Mississippi rivers.

or across the river in WI at Wyalusing State Park.

In the North:
    We just camped at this one: http://www.duluthindianpointcampground.com/campsites

Lots of opportunities, and I would check with the DNR to inquire about their campgrounds and charges.
    Ride Hard, go far, and keep smilin...

Karol Patzer, Ambassador, Director MOA Foundation
    2008/2014 BMW MOA Rally Chair

Quote Originally Posted by R1100rtp View Post

Along the Mississippi River in Iowa is a great park Pikes Peak State Park:
    Pikes Peak State Park is one of the most photographed places in Iowa. Pikes Peak is rich in natural, cultural and historical resources, and famed for its majestic views of the Mississippi River. Stand atop the 500 foot bluff (1,130 foot elevation) for a breathtaking view and see the confluence of the Wisconsin and Mississippi rivers.
    Hmm. is that the Pike's Peak from Peter Egan's trip on his 50cc?
    Noel

Quote Originally Posted by naddy100 View Post
    Hmm. is that the Pike's Peak from Peter Egan's trip on his 50cc?
    Noel
    Could be...the other Pike's Peak would be a long way to travel on a 50CC

good information &

... thanks Karol for the recommendations. At $5 per bike that's acceptable for most... the "price" to keep campground drive-thru's low.
    Lanesboro & Money Creek ( aptly named! ) ARE good choices when arriving into MN from the southeast.

"travel'n" john
    13 R12RT

Two years in a row!

I can't ride much anymore, but last year I was able to attend the Sedalia rally. Since I lived there for several years while going to school, it was nice to see some old friends and re-visit old haunts. This year I will also attend. My son and his family live in Stillwater which is just 20 miles from the fairgrounds. As mentioned, the roads in the St Croix valley and in Wisconsin are great. Stillwater has some great restaurants, shops and dives. Go to the food channel website and you'll find great restaurants, dives and funky places to eat and drink. Check out the Summit brewery and of course the micro breweries. St Croix Harley Davidson is also a Ural dealer. You can usually get a test ride in the field behind the shop. Hope everyone has a great time!

Quote Originally Posted by 1TOMMAC View Post
    I can't ride much anymore, but last year I was able to attend the Sedalia rally. Since I lived there for several years while going to school, it was nice to see some old friends and re-visit old haunts. This year I will also attend. My son and his family live in Stillwater which is just 20 miles from the fairgrounds. As mentioned, the roads in the St Croix valley and in Wisconsin are great. Stillwater has some great restaurants, shops and dives. Go to the food channel website and you'll find great restaurants, dives and funky places to eat and drink. Check out the Summit brewery and of course the micro breweries. St Croix Harley Davidson is also a Ural dealer. You can usually get a test ride in the field behind the shop. Hope everyone has a great time!

Stillwater's a cool town...if your son has restaurant or favorite routes....let us know!!!

And your on the forum....Welcome!
    Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

and you're on the forum

Guys, when I posted that yesterday, I didn't realize that I was a NOOB. Don't know what happened, but I've been a member since 2000. I'am not a frequent poster, but I guess I've been off too long as I had to request my user name and the system gave me a new password. My first rally was Trenton and the last was Wisconsin before Sedalia .....Mods, can you tell me what happened?
    Last edited by 1TOMMAC; 10-29-2013 at 04:12 PM.

The Forum went through a major overhaul. We all went through the password two-step, but it's all better now! You just happened to skip over the change-
    Phil Keppelman #20331
    MOA Rally Stage Manager
    The shortest distance between two points.............
    ain't how I got here......

Guys, when I posted that yesterday, I didn't realize that I was a NOOB. Don't know what happened, but I've been a member since 2000. I'am not a frequent poster, but I guess I've been off too long as I had to request my user name and the system gave me a new password. My first rally was Trenton and the last was Wisconsin before Sedalia .....Mods, can you tell me what happened?
    Yeah, I got an idea what went on I will forward info along.
    Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

TomMac -

Everyone's right. The other username had activity last on February 9 and then we had the forum redo. The best thing to do is to call Jeff in the office tomorrow and ask him to combine the two usernames. Have him search based upon your name and he should be able to find the older username and get you back to where you were. If you have any problems, let me know.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

EAA AirVenture at Oshkosh

....and just 250 miles away starting the day after BMW MOA rally will be the largest EAA airshow in the world...

http://www.airventure.org/planning/schedules_maps.html

A must visit for a day or so if you already in the area...
    MOA Ambassador, Member of AL, GA and Chattanooga Clubs, MTF Gold member and BOD.
    2011 R1200 GSA (My Radio Flyer) 75 R90/6 with Velorex sidecar
    My annual charity event: http://www.echbenefit.smugmug.com/
    " Oh Lord I pray, Let me live long enough to do everything they say I've done"

Sooooo glad to see this in my home town.

Come back and experience the minnesota state fair later in the month...AND, on 15 July, catch the MLB All Star Game in Minneapolis.

Trifecta.
    2008 R12R
    2009 HD Ultra Classic