• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2000 K1200lt front suspension failure

NCmotomark

Motomark
I am tring to help out a fellow MOA member.He was preparing his 2000 K12lt for a ride.While it was still on the centerstand the steering was very noticibly stiff when turned side to side.When the bike was rolled off the centerstand the front suspension collapsped down allowing the fairing lower bottom edge to rest on top of the front fender.It did not rebound back any at all.What could be wrong?The bike now sits precariously on the side stand,since the centerstand is inoperable due to the current angle of the frame.Don't know much about telelever suspension,could it be shock failure or possibly ball joint failure?
Thanks for any input.
Mark

Wow, that is not a good situation. I don't have access to a manual, etc at the moment, but if it were me, I would have a buddy help me get the bike onto the centerstand so that I could see what the problem is, it may require placing weight on the seat aft of the centerstand to raise the front end due to weight distribution. The problem seems it is major, regardless of what it is. Ball joint, or bottom shock mount or shock broken? If he has the tools, $, and ability to do the repairs, you will need it up on the centerstand to do that. If not, then you will have an idea what to expect when he has it towed into a dealer. Had any work been done recently to the front? Could something have been left improperly secured?

2000 K1200lt front suspension failure diagnosis

After a brief visit to the local BMW dealer,it has been diagnosed as a failed ball joint in the front suspension.Next problem is that as the bike sits in the owners garage,we need to figure out how to transport to dealership.The bike is sitting on rear wheel,sidestand and collapsed front end.It currently is not stable enough to try to lift without removing much Tupperware which mostly can't be removed because of how the bike is standing on the ground.May need a forklift to get under the frame to lift up to put on centerstand.We had considered a floor jack but there is only 3-4 inches of space to work with under the bike.Now thinking about ratcheting straps attached to roof trusses and lifting bike up towards the ceiling and deploying centerstand.Once there we can decide how to make it mobile to load on trailer or attempt to repair ourselves.I did find some info on this problem on Kbikes.com,this problem seems to happen occasionally and repair was $1700 at one dealership.OUCH!
Mark

Roll the tires onto some wood to give the bike enough lift. Stack some plywood to give you enough height. Then you can use the centerstand.

Thinking out loud here.
Get some muscle from a bunch (figure front of bike weighs 400 lbs. That is lots of lifting That's a lot more than most caskets with a body in them weigh)of folks and lift the bike enough to get it onto the center stand. OR... get something over head and lift via the front rim so the bike and wheel come up and put on center stand. Once on the stand, get something heavy behind the bike and strap across back of seat and pull down and secure, Once front wheel is off ground and bike stable, take off the body work. At least you are preventing damage there (and saving that labor cost at the dealer. Now you have the chance to put a dolly under the front of the engine and block it up. At least you can move the bike around now. You just might be able to slide a dolly under the front wheel and lower everything and then roll the beast to get it loaded. Good luck.

Isn't this a good thing to have happened in the garage rather than at some twisty with a long drop off to no where?
NCS

2000 klt delivered to dealer for repairs

Finally at noon today a group of five gathered to prepare the the K1200 for its transport and delivery to the local BMW dealer.A plan was made by the owner to secure the bike to a platform and use a rollback type tow truck to transport.His plan worked out well,although not what the other of us would have thought of to transport if it was ours. Because of all the weight and instability of the front end,his plan was to lower the bike over on to its side onto a platform with casters on the underside, and secured with multiple ratcheting straps placed at many different angles across the bike, preventing any movement while on the rolling platform.Then we had to roll the platform/bike to the driveway for the rollback to pull on to the rig.Deliverly went great,no broken parts no mishaps.:bliss Hope the labor is not too bad for a $119. part to be replaced to repair the bike.Glad I have my K75's.So far I been able to do most all maintenance issues needed myself.

Back