• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1995 R100RT windshield install

jgr451

So I am at the point of trying to push/pull the rubber teats through the holes in the new stock windshield.I got one through,pulled one off and mangled it before I quit.Does anyone have the tried and true method? Tools?Lubricant?

TIA!

When I try the search function I get 26 pages of completely unrelated posts and cannot access the post I bookmarked about the 1984 RT(which is probably the same as the 95).

RT Windshield intallation

We used WD-40 to WELL lubricate the the "****", and a pair of needle noise pliers to gently pull them thru.

I use the WD 40 and also a small flat screw driver to help PUSH the lip thru while gently pulling the tip.

I'd avoid wd40 and other oils as they might attack the rubber. How about armorall protectant. Its very slippery on rubber and plastic.

As abnormal as it might sound, I would use Dielectric Grease. It is intended for electrical connections and connectors. Connectors are made of all kinds of plastics and rubber compounds and dielectric grease is benign for almost all such compounds. I routinely use dielectric grease on rubber parts because it keeps them from being stuck tight next time I need to take things apart. I have never found degradation of rubber from the use of this grease. If you don't have a big tube like I do you can get it in small packets labelled "Bulb Grease" at most auto parts stores.

This IS a bad job

I hated doing this with my new gasket. But I ended up using a small Philips head to push on them , then a pair of needle nose to lightly pull. I only damaged one :blush of those darn peckers, but it surely ended up being a nuisance.

Thanks for all the ideas.I have tried WD 40 and a screwdriver,got one through,tore another one all to heck.Will try pliers pushing and grease as suggested by Paul,then if that hangs up badly,soapy water as recommended by Shail...Grrrr!!!!German technology!

:banghead

Dawn Dish Soap.Mix three parts water to one part dish soap,apply liberlyand slowly/carefully pull/push your part through. The first time it rains or you wash your bike it will be gone. It's also great for seating tires on rim.

House hold Vaseline?... Good enough for kids a&$ good enough for the airhead. Pretty neutral stuff and comes off easy.:brow

lube for windshield gasket install

I would advise against any petroleum based product unless you know for sure the specific rubber is compatable, some are not. I use Isoproply alcohol on all rubber bits that I need to make slippery. As long as you can keep it wet (IPA dries real quick) I've had no problems with those little nubs. Push with a dull tool on the front and pull at the same time from the back helps. Good luck.

Jim O'Coin

Ever since a buddy told me about red rubber grease and it's wonderful properties I seem to be using it on just about every rubber thing I find on a motorcycle. It's actually vegetable based and not only great for rubber bits but even good for your hands. :D
See http://www.redrubbergrease.com/

I think you can buy this stuff at any auto parts store or get a tube on Amazon.

I have a tube of Sil Glide

Which I think is made for this purpose. I use it in the shop mostly for pulling rubber things through steel things, jamming in weather stripping on cars etc. Claims won't harm rubber. One tube is probably a lifetime investment. Don't recall where I got it. NAPA or something.
jim

Isopropyl alcohol on rubber makes it very slippery and it evaporates quickly. I've used this to the windscreen **** many times and have never torn one off. Use it when you remove them too.

Which I think is made for this purpose. I use it in the shop mostly for pulling rubber things through steel things, jamming in weather stripping on cars etc. Claims won't harm rubber. One tube is probably a lifetime investment. Don't recall where I got it. NAPA or something.
jim

+1

Back