• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R90S question

donmystic1

Donmystic1
Anyone have a guesstimate on how many 74, 75, and 76 R 90s's are left on the road?
Does MOA have any numbers?
There is a 1976 R 90 S recently listed on Ebay for $17,500.00 which is a very healthy price and another in which the bids are up $8000.00

Are they really bringing this much money ?

Last edited:
Similar question going on at the Vintage BMW forum for /2 bikes. It's impossible to know...BMW and the MOA would have no idea.

Some models just command craziness. The R90S is one of them. Beautiful, iconic and rare.

I've been watching with amazement this spring as R80G/S bikes coming up for sale are going through a similar scenario. As an example, apparently MAX is asking $11,900 for this one: http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/machine/details.aspx?ID=5185

An auction house up here in BC also had a near brand new R80G/S PD from an estate bike collection and it was well north of $17,000 !

Sky's the limit on some of these things.

Value is obviously in the eye of the beholder.

This 1963 VW Samba recently sold at Barrett-Jackson for.. .. . . .. .. $217,800USD. 23-window Sambas are rare, but the "normal" asking price is around $30K.

expensive-volkswagen-bus.jpg&maxW=630

And you won't get a price for an item if you don't ask for it (which is why R90 is listed as a "Buy It Now" item (it's still for sale). It's also noted that it only has 10,210 miles on the clock. And it looks like it. But for $8K, with a tad more than 30K on the clock, the other machine is rigged exactly the same, same color (smoke), and looks just as nice. Reserve has not been met so it remains to be seen what it's actually "worth". But $8K is what I've observed as a realistic price range.

The only difference I see is that the $17K machine is being offered by a "business", and the other is being offered by it's owner since 1978. I'd be bidding on the one-owner bike before the garage queen.

See > http://motorcycles.yakaz.com/bmw-r90s-for-sale

I've got an early, 407XXXX, numbered S, after a ten day ride out west in '91, decided to sell it and keep the zoomy K100.

After asking 2K, every inquiry bad mouthed the 90S, so I kept the S and dumped buzzer.

Don't think any bike is worth more than the riding fun it can provide, including any Beemer. Whaddayu do with a bike costing 18K that returns no more pleasure than one of the same type costing 3.5K? Stick it in a bike collection. which may be a better investment the printed script. See Barretjackson if you question the worth of anything today when measured against a paper dollar.

Don't forget the swiveling heads aimed at an S type. That's worth a few bucks for the laughs. A guy asked me if it was a four banger a couple years back. I said, "yah, two pistons in each cylinder."

Also, working on a pre 80s bike is much much more rewarding. No computers, ECUs, AMMs, TPSs, cats, Dogs, thingamawidgits, electric pumps, fly by wire, and the rest of it.

R 90s How many left ?

Similar question going on at the Vintage BMW forum for /2 bikes. It's impossible to know...BMW and the MOA would have no idea.
Wouldn't BMWOA have stats on their member and what machines the own ?
It might make a nice article for the magazine as to how many of any model are left ( as far as members bikes goes.)

By the way how many dues paying currant members are there now?

My number is 5329 and I have belonged of and on since 1973

Wouldn't BMWOA have stats on their member and what machines the own ?
It might make a nice article for the magazine as to how many of any model are left ( as far as members bikes goes.)

By the way how many dues paying currant members are there now?

Seems like the initial question was more general, not just about the MOA. But sure, they should have background on bikes the members own...but only if the member has bothered to tell the MOA!!

The current membership number has come up from time to time...seems like it's around 50K?? If you go to the Member List under Community, it says there are 53702 forum members...but there are a few "registered user" placeholders. Typically, an MOA member is given a default username regardless of whether they actually come to the forum or not.

Value is obviously in the eye of the beholder.

This 1963 VW Samba recently sold at Barrett-Jackson for.. .. . . .. .. $217,800USD. 23-window Sambas are rare, but the "normal" asking price is around $30K.

expensive-volkswagen-bus.jpg&maxW=630

And you won't get a price for an item if you don't ask for it (which is why R90 is listed as a "Buy It Now" item (it's still for sale). It's also noted that it only has 10,210 miles on the clock. And it looks like it. But for $8K, with a tad more than 30K on the clock, the other machine is rigged exactly the same, same color (smoke), and looks just as nice. Reserve has not been met so it remains to be seen what it's actually "worth". But $8K is what I've observed as a realistic price range.

The only difference I see is that the $17K machine is being offered by a "business", and the other is being offered by it's owner since 1978. I'd be bidding on the one-owner bike before the garage queen.

See > http://motorcycles.yakaz.com/bmw-r90s-for-sale

I watched the tail end of the VW auction and I was pretty sure it went for $ 115,000 not $ 217,000.

R90s are nice bikes, certain ones have collector status and they would be worth considerably more than the run of the mill r90s. $ 8K is in the high area of the ball park but it will depend on how bad somebody else wants the bike.

One thing everybody seems to discount or maybe don't realize what is going on with the older airheads. Many owners own several ( I personally know 2 that have 5 & 6 airheads each ) some that haven't been ridden in years. No doubt there are many more collectors out there as well. Lots have gotten made into caf? projects or something else. So currently the supply for really good machines may be limited but someday these bikes will come up for sale ( hubby bites the dust & wife has the auction ). So the law of supply & demand will always rule.

Back