• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Steering Head Bearings question

bmwgsrider

I am needing to replace my steering head bearings as they are bad... my bike is the Twin 650... I am needing after market part numbers on the correct bearings. I have read where people have posted after market part numbers SKF 320/28 X/Q and NAPA BR32 but it is by people who have 800 GS. I am not sure if these part numbers are also correct for the Twin 650. When I look up the BMW parts fische on both bikes for the bearings the part numbers are different... that is why I am wondering if these after market part numbers are not correct part numbers for the Twin 650. I am also looking for part number for the Timken which I hear is the best. Or can someone direct me to a source where I can find the information I am looking for or verify if the above part numbers are also same for the Twin 650. I would greatly appreciate it and thanks so much in advance.

Hi Anna, while I don't know the part number you are looking for, both Timken and SKF have proven to be fine bearings and have used many of each.
Once you get it apart you can cross what is in there pretty easy and most any bearing specialty shop will know the number. If you get a chance, post up some pictures of your repair. Gary

Very odd that the P/N are listed as different ... I would have sworn they'd be the same .........
:hungover

but yeah... what Omega Man said... if you toss them on the parts counter of any bearing supply they will match them up pronto! Nice set of pictures on this thread:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=716362

I think it is mentioned in the other thread, but when installing the new races it is CRITICAL that they be fully seated! :thumb

Very odd that the P/N are listed as different ... I would have sworn they'd be the same .........
:hungover

but yeah... what Omega Man said... if you toss them on the parts counter of any bearing supply they will match them up pronto! Nice set of pictures on this thread:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=716362

I think it is mentioned in the other thread, but when installing the new races it is CRITICAL that they be fully seated! :thumb
Nice link JB. I've been putting the races in the freezer for projects like this. I don't remember the fits being as they are nowadays...A little deep freeze helps when your ready to go. OM

Nice link JB. I've been putting the races in the freezer for projects like this. I don't remember the fits being as they are nowadays...A little deep freeze helps when your ready to go. OM

yeah.... I gotta remember that ... :thumb

It has got to make those jobs a lot easier with less wear-and-tear on the bike as well...

I am needing to replace my steering head bearings as they are bad... my bike is the Twin 650... I am needing after market part numbers on the correct bearings. I have read where people have posted after market part numbers SKF 320/28 X/Q and NAPA BR32 but it is by people who have 800 GS. I am not sure if these part numbers are also correct for the Twin 650. When I look up the BMW parts fische on both bikes for the bearings the part numbers are different... that is why I am wondering if these after market part numbers are not correct part numbers for the Twin 650. I am also looking for part number for the Timken which I hear is the best. Or can someone direct me to a source where I can find the information I am looking for or verify if the above part numbers are also same for the Twin 650. I would greatly appreciate it and thanks so much in advance.

As a pretty firm rule if the parts are truly identical the part number will be identical. This does not imply that a swap will not work. Just beware it just may not work if you seem to be having fitment issues.

A word of warning: the market place is FILLED with Chinese bearings because they sell them for so cheap. Do NOT buy Chinese bearings as with most things Chinese motorcycle/automotive related they are just about guaranteed to be junk from the word go. I am not familiar with SKF or NAPA bearings and cannot comment on them. I know for fact the quality of the OEM bearings. I have always used the original OEM bearings despite the cost unless a customer states he wants something else at which point we do not warranty the parts side of the repair.

After all these years there are 3 items I will never use from the aftermarket unless a customer specifies otherwise: (1) Fork seals (2) Gaskets and (3) Bearings. This simply means I cannot vouch for the quality of the aftermarket parts when compared to the OEM. If you amortize the cost difference over the anticipated lifespan the differential becomes absolutely meaningless. Most folks will never have need to replace steering bearings. They tend to hold up extremely well for long periods of time.

I used BR32 and they are working just fine.

Back