• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Clutch slipping

josh00

I have a 2004 RT with 40k on it, the clutch started to slip on me when I have it in 3rd, 4th, 5th gears at high rpms, or when I'm going 55 in 5th gear & gun it. I bought last year it had 26k on it, I went ahead & tore it apart & did a tranny input spline lube on it, they looked good, I made sure to lube the input shaft only so that i would not get any lube on the clutch. While the forum was down I was able to talk to PGlaves via email & he told me that with 40k the clutch the reason it was slipping was probably rear main seal or tranny shaft seal was leaking, so I have never changed a clutch but I have done two tranny input shaft spline lubes & I was right to the clutch. So I was wondering if anybody knew of any good links on changing a clutch & replacing the seals, or any advice on what I should do or replace. I think it probably isn't a whole lot more to it then doing a spline lube, but I could be wrong. Thanks for any help.

Thanks, don't look like much to take it out & put it back in, Getting my clymer out to read up on it. I'll to see what it says about changing the seals on it. Probably will change the pressure plate also & even the slave cylinder. If their is anything else that might be a good idea to change while I have her apart just give me your thoughts on it. I probably will wait a little while yet to change it, going to read up on it first, it still able to ride it, just slips in high rpms.

I've got an '04 GS that had a slave cylinder fail. I replaced the slave cylinder, but did not replace the rear input seal, which sits immediately in front of slave. Shortly thereafter my clutch began sliping exactly like yours. I pulled the slave cylinder and watched as 10 mL of dark transmission oil drained on the ground. My clutch was dark from the oil that had leaked past the rear input seal and run up the push rod. If you replace the slave cylinder remember to replace the rear input seal as well.

Back