• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

1998 R1100RT transmission drain plug.

oldnslow

It's a way of life!
Where is the drain plud for this bike's transmission? I've seen a few pictures but weren't very conclusive. Is it recessed in that deep hole behind the rear brake pedal? If so, do I just let the crap run out of that tunnel that leads to the plug? Or is there room to slide some foil or something in the hole to keep things clean as the oil runs out?

Thanks

Where is the drain plud for this bike's transmission? I've seen a few pictures but weren't very conclusive. Is it recessed in that deep hole behind the rear brake pedal? If so, do I just let the crap run out of that tunnel that leads to the plug? Or is there room to slide some foil or something in the hole to keep things clean as the oil runs out?

Thanks

Yes, the drain is located in a recessed hole assuming you're looking at the correct hole. I don't have an RT present to compare the brake pedal location with the drain but I do have a R1100R and the brake pedal is in that vicinity. Ideally you will also want to replace the 2 crush washers associated with the job. It can get a bit sloppy; a piece of foil might make it a bit cleaner. By the way use a 85/140 gear oil. A bit better than the 80/90 discussed in the manual. But nothing to lose sleep over.

You found it.
Mine's slightly in front of the brake but I don't have an RT.
I jam a piece of plastic or card under the channel to direct the used oil away from the exhaust.

Yes, it's the drain plug at the back of that tunnel. BMW sells a tool that clips onto the midsection-end of the hole and directs the old fluid out past the foot plate. You can also take an old paper towel roll cardboard core and cut the end so it fits the tunnel and does the same thing. Also when draining take a square of aluminum foil and shove it in above the cat converter so drips don't wind up on the converter or exhaust pipe.

Attachments

• Transmission Drain.jpg
    Transmission Drain.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 175
I use a small plastic soda bottle that I cut both ends off of and also cut it along its length. With this you can insert your hex wrench through the center while removing the drain plug.

I use a small plastic soda bottle that I cut both ends off of and also cut it along its length. With this you can insert your hex wrench through the center while removing the drain plug.

BMW does not authorize plastic soda bottles being used as a tool!:dance

Ok, so there's no oil drain pan (and I don't know why the pic isn't oriented properly). I went to the garage to show you what I use. It is simply a piece of clear hose that fits over the drain bolt area. I cut a piece of plastic to allow for the ratchet to be inserted. A reasonably clean way to drain the transmission oil.

Attachments

• IMG_0418.jpg
    IMG_0418.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 180
It's a smart move to ensure that the fill plug can be removed, BEFORE draining the transmission. If the old oil is drained and the fill plug is then found to be stuck, then you're left with an empty gearbox!:whistle

As described, use something (foil, cardboard, plastic bottle, hose, etc) to direct the draining oil away from the exhaust.

Ok, so there's no oil drain pan (and I don't know why the pic isn't oriented properly). I went to the garage to show you what I use. It is simply a piece of clear hose that fits over the drain bolt area. I cut a piece of plastic to allow for the ratchet to be inserted. A reasonably clean way to drain the transmission oil.

Now that looks like the way to drain the box!! If you approve I shall take up your concept. I like it!!

Quote from Billy Walker

Ideally you will also want to replace the 2 crush washers associated with the job

Paul.... don't be alarmed if you don't find or cannot find a crush washer on your drain plug..........BMW didn't use them on the 99 model RT. I found this out at a tech seminar at Budds Motorad last year. I was told (by their head wrench puller) that if you did install a crush washer on the plug that it would leak. Funny.....I couldn't find a crush washer on the drainplug on my bike the last time I changed the tranny oil. I thought WTH ? they forgot it......so....I installed the plug with a crush washer......torqued the plug to specs.....and it never leaked.....go figure.....:laugh
Should have had the seminar before I serviced the bike.

Cheers.....:drink

Absolute genius.

Quote from Billy Walker
Paul.... don't be alarmed if you don't find or cannot find a crush washer on your drain plug..........BMW didn't use them on the 99 model RT. I found this out at a tech seminar at Budds Motorad last year. I was told (by their head wrench puller) that if you did install a crush washer on the plug that it would leak. Funny.....I couldn't find a crush washer on the drainplug on my bike the last time I changed the tranny oil. I thought WTH ? they forgot it......so....I installed the plug with a crush washer......torqued the plug to specs.....and it never leaked.....go figure.....:laugh
Should have had the seminar before I serviced the bike.
Cheers.....:drink

I must have been sleeping as I was at the same seminar. However, I have always used a crush washer on the transmission bolts and have never had a leak (knock on wood). :dunno

BTW.....I like your drain tube apparatus.........clever !!

Absolute genius.

Thank you, thank you, :nod but I really can't take credit for this. It was posted a few years ago on this forum and I just adopted it.

I still use my 20+ year old Castrol Gear Oil bottle. They used to come with a length of flexible clear hose complete with small red cap. The hose is held in by an indent on the side of the bottle. I wish they still made them since mine will probably crack someday soon! Best gear oil bottle ever... but can't find them anywhere anymore.

Back