• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2008 R1200RT ABS Module Bad

Buddies 07 R12R here with ABS light blinking. Battery tests fine

GS-911 shows code 24048 and 24049- Power supply to pump motor faulty

I guess this is a stuck brush issue as well?

Buddies 07 R12R here with ABS light blinking. Battery tests fine

GS-911 shows code 24048 and 24049- Power supply to pump motor faulty

I guess this is a stuck brush issue as well?

Yup. That's the fault you'll see when the brushes stick. There are some DIY on fixing it out on the Interwebz if you do a search..

Has anyone had any luck with a few mild taps to the motor to see if the brushes "unstick"?

Has anyone had any luck with a few mild taps to the motor to see if the brushes "unstick"?

If you can't fix it with a hammer or duct tape...then you ahve an electrical problem :laugh

In some threads on other sites about the DIY - yes - but the result doesn't last. Once it starts happening you have to apply the "fix" (which involves reshaping the brush holder a bit.)

I tried the "hammer tap" tonight and it did get the pump motor working again. I certainly will not count on this as a long term fix. Don, do you have a link on how to get the motor off and apart? The only video I found was a complete hack job!

I tried the "hammer tap" tonight and it did get the pump motor working again. I certainly will not count on this as a long term fix. Don, do you have a link on how to get the motor off and apart? The only video I found was a complete hack job!

A friend who did the job promised to do a DIY for us of the R&R to send the unit off to ModuleMaster. There are some DIY's out on the web somewhere that show motor disassembly, dunno if those are what you're referring to. Of course if you DO the job, please take lots of photos and perhaps we can get a DIY of repairing the booger..

One thing I recall hearing about the ABS modulator on the pre-07 whizzy-brakes BMWs is if the ABS system is never activated, actually put into full cycle operation, that failure issues can occur internally. I wonder if there is a correlation here with the current revision of the ABS systems on the R-bikes.

As a long time MSF instructor, one big thing I teach/preach/emphasize is regular high-effort braking practice. Mostly for the experience of knowing what you (mostly) and your bike are capable of doing. But also to get familiar with high effort braking. With that, if your bike is ABS equipped I strongly advocate actually practicing braking stops that get the ABS system fully active. Keep in mind, that until an ABS system senses actual pending wheel lockup (skid) it does NOTHING but monitor wheel speeds relative to vehicle speed.

If say, in 50,000 miles of riding you never fully activate the ABS system, certain components internal to the system never become active more than the initial start up cycle test. But that does not fully activate the system like an ABS activated stop from 60 mph. On my 94 R1100RS, I regularly practice high effort brake stops and I get the ABS systems activated also. Even though my bike is approaching 20 years of age, the ABS system still works great.

One thing I recall hearing about the ABS modulator on the pre-07 whizzy-brakes BMWs is if the ABS system is never activated, actually put into full cycle operation, that failure issues can occur internally. I wonder if there is a correlation here with the current revision of the ABS systems on the R-bikes.
Doubtful. The failure here is of the brushes, as they wear they move in the holder and start to bind. The only way they will wear is if they are being used at times. It's fairly easy to trigger the ABS on the Series-II system by using the rear brake as you would on an unlinked bike, you're almost certain to over-brake the rear, causing a buzz in the pedal - which is the ABS activating. I almost never use the pedal except for low speed cornering - or holding the bike on a hill. The linking is much better at proportioning the forces then I am.

As a long time MSF instructor, one big thing I teach/preach/emphasize is regular high-effort braking practice. Mostly for the experience of knowing what you (mostly) and your bike are capable of doing. But also to get familiar with high effort braking. With that, if your bike is ABS equipped I strongly advocate actually practicing braking stops that get the ABS system fully active. Keep in mind, that until an ABS system senses actual pending wheel lockup (skid) it does NOTHING but monitor wheel speeds relative to vehicle speed.

If say, in 50,000 miles of riding you never fully activate the ABS system, certain components internal to the system never become active more than the initial start up cycle test. But that does not fully activate the system like an ABS activated stop from 60 mph. On my 94 R1100RS, I regularly practice high effort brake stops and I get the ABS systems activated also. Even though my bike is approaching 20 years of age, the ABS system still works great.
Even if it has no good effect on this problem - that's still good advice. A rider may well be surprised at how quickly one of the ABS equipped bikes really can stop in an emergency and tend to let off the brake unless they are used to how the ABS feels when it kicks in.

German Products

Interesting comment. I too love my bike and RT's in particular. But with all the truthfulness ever assembled by man BMW NA is the worst OEM I have EVER had to deal with in 30 years. Their arrogance is simply amazing. Even had one of their rep's lie (yes, I do mean lie) to my face once and I called him on it. His response? "I don't give a sh** what you think." Never ever had a rep respond in such a manner. Over the course of time I was pretty much merciless with them as I sincerely wish all BMW dealers need to be but won't. Nothing seems to work with them. Neither kindness nor rudeness or the facts seem to alter their own little reality. NA really needs to be taken down a peg or two but most folks within the dealer network are in fear of doing so. If only every BMW dealer in the USA would rise up against them and fight against such crap. Gee, do I sound mad?

I don't know BMW's method of indoctrination when it comes to their employees but they fall into BMW corporate-speak and that's the end of it.

The sad part is I still love RT's and much of the BMW product in general. Doesn't say much for my intelligence as I still give BMW money for some of the products they make.

In many ways the BMW motorcycle is advanced, with the exception of electronics. However I don't think the greater than tho attitude is restricted to BMW motorcycles. Having dealt with German diesel engine manufactures I find their attitude to be the same. I have a friend that was a auto dealer for several German makes who also found them to be impossible. Its German it has to be the best, but at the same time in some areas they are way behind and unable to accept it.

2008 R1200RT Communications Failure

I just picked up a bike over the weekend. I knew the ABS had failed but didn't know it was a communications failure. Got a good deal and figured I could just fix the problem. Anyone have any issues installing modules from different bikes. There is a warning on MMs website but that seems like my best option now.

Last edited:
2008 R1200RT Communications Failure UPDATE

Picked up and installed a used ABS and it synced up fine... All is well, my bargain RT should be on the road this afternoon.

Back