• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2013 BMW Dealer List POI US Garmin

Let me rewind my brain until last winter.....

Yes on the State first. I tested on 450, 550 an 600 and it seemed to be the easiest format to get them in some order. You typically know what state you are in.
The phone numbers were that way from BMW. Don't ask me why. I just didn't take the time to remove the spaces as I could still read them.

You don't need anything else on your GPS if you use POI Loader.

It's a vague memory, but I think you specify the "Group" when loading with POI loader. I know on mine they are in a subfolder.

Assuming I can get the 2016 list from BMW, I'll update probably in Feb/March.

Lynn

I downloaded your Zip file for US BMW dealers and installed it on my Zumo 660 yesterday. The March 2015 .GPI 20k file is the one that is now in the Garmin/POI sub-directory.

When I go to:
"Where To?"
Then to "Extras"
Then to "Custom POIs"

All the dealers show up, but the state abbreviation is first in the line, ie:
NY:BMW Motorcycles of New Hyde Park
NY: BMW of Manhattan
CT: Max BMW Motorcycles
NJ: Cross Country BMW, etc., etc.

Is this the correct format I should be seeing, with the abbreviated state first?

Also, when I go into "More" for detailed info about the dealer,
the phone number is spread out with spaces between each number, ie:
( 5 1 6 ) 3 5 2 - 7 4 7 4

Is that correct format too?

Your zip file also contains 2 Excel files, one comma delimited and one worksheet, as well as a 52k .GPX file. None of these transferred with POI loader. I can add them manually through using the USB cable, but do I need those files on the GPS too?

Lastly, when I go to Custom POI's on the 660, it just comes up with the full list of dealers, but doesn't say "US BMW Dealers" first on the screen. If I added another POI list (say all McDonald's restaurants), will they be merged with the BMW dealer list, or would they then be separated into two sub-groups? If not, how can I make the GPS show the POI title?

I also PM's you this note in case you see that first.

Thanks a million!

Larry

Read post above and downloaded Google Worksheet as a .CSV and installed on GPS. Got rid of the spaces between the phone number numerals. Only thing is it said Line 26 is a problem, so I deleted it from my downloaded copy and its OK now. Still would like to know about POI categories/list names if anyone knows.
Thanks.

I guess to clarify, if I add a 2nd POI list (let's say McDonald's), will the BMW dealer list and the 2nd list be combined together, or will the GPS prompt me to hit another button after "Custom POIs" (ie: US BMW Dealers or McDonald's) and will the lists be separated?

On mine I choose the POI list. i.e. they are not mixed together.

Thanks for the response. I guess I'll find out by uploading a 2nd POI list and see what happens. I can only access the BMW Dealer list by going into Extras. The POI list is what is built into the unit as it came form the factory. Unless there' another place/folder to put the new one in. I'll figure it out. Don't lose sleep over this.
Thanks again.

Thanks for the response. I guess I'll find out by uploading a 2nd POI list and see what happens. I can only access the BMW Dealer list by going into Extras. The POI list is what is built into the unit as it came form the factory. Unless there' another place/folder to put the new one in. I'll figure it out. Don't lose sleep over this.
Thanks again.

I have 7 or 8 POI lists on my GPSs. You need to store them on your computer in separate subfolders.
If you store a McDonald and BMW list in the same folder on your computer, it will end up in the same POI list on your GPS.

My POI BMW list is in my Extras just like yours.
BMW has instruction on their website on updating the BMW list on a BMW Garmin. This is the list you access by touching the BMW symbol on the GPS.
If you do this the BMW list you get is very old.

I plan to keep using Lynn's list and keeping it in Extras.

On the BMW website there used to be a PDF file of all the US dealers and this was usually up to date. I used to print this out and keep it in my tankbag. I looked the other day and I no longer see the list.

Got it and understood. Everything is OK. I (sort of) added a 2nd POI list by copying and re-naming Lynn's 2015 list to "2017 Dealer List". After POI uploading #2, now when I hit Extras/Custom POI's, there are 2 additional buttons to hit..."2015 Dealer List" and "2017 Dealer List". Obviously I deleted the 2nd one, as it was just a test, but all is good, and good to know separate folders are needed on the PC. I tried it with 2 POI's in the same folder, and Garmin POI uploader re-uploaded both. So as hoped (or guessed) when you have just one custom POI list, it goes directly to the list, but when you have more than one, it gives you a choice of sub-titles. Live and learn.
Thanks again.

Back