• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2013 BMW Dealer List POI US Garmin

US 2015 BMW Dealer List POI US Garmin

Fellow riders,

You asked for it! Here is the 2015 version.
This is based upon the dealer list posted on the bmwmotorcycles.com downloaded last week.

I have only tested the basics. I loaded to my 660 via POI Loader, seems fine. I loaded the gpx into basecamp, seems fine.
Let me know of any glaring problems.

View attachment Lynns' 2015 BMW Dealers.zip

Lynn

dude, you so totally rock!!!

i wish I had your tutorial years ago when the Alabama club was pushing out poi files that I had no idea how to load or access. This is the greatest post/thread I have ever seen on the forums. I can help, maybe, if I can learn how to modify the file i can update that which I know has changed, like the PENSACOLA BMW has moved to a new location, and I could change that (there LAT/LONG is on their web site and i have it saved on site on my zumo). I know Pandoras is touting it has moved to a new location in an add I think, but If I could I'd like to update what I know has changed and repost to the thread. I think if we all QC'd it with our local knowledge, we could have a serious product.

Thanks!
I have to use that computer science education for something.
Maybe I'll see you at the BMW Owners of Georgia rally in early may.

Lynn

Thanks, Lynn. Just added the list to my POIs in CoPilot on my Android phone.

I noticed the phone numbers all seem to have extra spaces between the digits. Any particular reason for this?

If anyone else is interested, I used ITN converter to convert the .gpx file to an .ov2 file for CoPilot (and TomTom) compatibility. These instructions detail a method to put the converted file in the correct location on the phone.

Pure laziness. That is the reason. It was that way in the file from BMW, I just forgot to change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lynn, thanks for taking on this task! If we have updates to the list, do you prefer we post them here, or would you prefer we send them via direct messages to you?

I do not maintain the list. I get the list from BMW, convert to GPX and post. However, if you post updates here I can try to include them in the next round.

I suggest we try crowd-sourcing updates to the list. I appreciate the work that Lynn has already done, publishing this information for all of us.

I have taken Lynn's March 2015 CSV file, removed the extra spaces from the telephone numbers, updated the name of the Raleigh BMW dealership (now called Garcia Moto instead of Capitol BMW, and loaded the edited file as a Google spreadsheet on my Google Drive. The link is provided below. Anyone using this link will have full editing access to the spreadsheet. Everyone should feel free to make any corrections or updates you may know about, but please verify your information (preferably first-hand) before making those updates. I suggest when you make edits, you also add a comment to the cell you change.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EhU0RMB6MVSUE4jcdxgDGSvsQ5uZ7YSs7LT4vigI_ls/edit?usp=sharing

I will also work on adding, on Google Drive, the dealer address information that Lynn provided in his files.

If someone knows a better way to handle this, let us know!

Last edited:
GPS Down loads

Reading how to add in BMW dealer sites to Garmin GPS made me ask is there a way for a non tech person ie me to download routes i want to take for Montana rally onto my zumo 660.MapQuest has discontinued this download and I do not have much knowledge on base camp
thanks Bruce

The answer is yes. It is way outside the scope of this thread. Search this forum for basecamp.

NOTE: I have updated the list for 2014. See below post 23 for 2014 upload.
NOTE: I have updated the list for 2015. See below post 41 for 2015 upload.

Apologies if someone already sent this out but I could not find it anywhere. I wanted to update my GPS with BMW dealers to prepare for an upcoming trip across country.
I pulled the BMW dealer list from BMW, it was dated March 2013, then spent a couple hours adding the GPS coordinates.

Attached you will find a ZIP file with every file type I could think of: CSV, GDB, GPI, GPX, XLS, POI, etc.

Here is the procedure if you don't know how to load this file on your Garmin custom POI list.

1) Extract the attached ZIP file onto your hard drive.
2) Download and install the Garmin POI Loader from: http://www.garmin.com/us/maps/poiloader
3) Run the POI loader
4) Choose "Garmin Device"
5) next
6) Select your GPS
7) next
8) Choose "Install the New POI's onto your device"
9) Browse to the folder where you extracted the ZIP file
10) Browse to the "US BMW Dealers March 2013" folder (There is only ONE CSV file in the folder).
11) Enter "US BMW Dealers March 2013" into custom POI File name (should auto fill)
12) Click "Next"
13) You should see that 139 custom POI's were loaded
14) On my Zumo's you can access POI's at "Where to" -> Extras -> Custom POI's

If you have a BMW branded GPS this WILL NOT replace the BMW Dealer app or associated list. I didn't want to mess with that list, so I just added under Custom POI.

I of course only checked 1/2 dozen dealers but the list seemed right.

Feedback welcome.

Note: Yes I know you can just copy the POI onto your device, but many people aren't comfortable doing this, so I gave the full procedure to run Garmin software to update their device.

Note 2: You can also import the GPX file into your BaseCamp software, or the GDB file into mapsource. Your Choice.

Lynn
Where could I get a list of European dealers?

Where could I get a list of European dealers?

I put one together some 15 years ago of Germany, Austria and a few others in neighbouring countries, back when I also said I was surprised BMW does not make one available for download.

What a way to run a business, a company that does not want you to know where their dealers are. :rolleyes

BMW Dealer List

I added the new dealer in Santa Clarita, CA to the Google Drive list. Mamba Motorsports or BMW Motorcycles of Santa Clarita opened in November 2015. Sorry, don't have the LAT & LONG

I downloaded your Zip file for US BMW dealers and installed it on my Zumo 660 yesterday. The March 2015 .GPI 20k file is the one that is now in the Garmin/POI sub-directory.

When I go to:
"Where To?"
Then to "Extras"
Then to "Custom POIs"

All the dealers show up, but the state abbreviation is first in the line, ie:
NY:BMW Motorcycles of New Hyde Park
NY: BMW of Manhattan
CT: Max BMW Motorcycles
NJ: Cross Country BMW, etc., etc.

Is this the correct format I should be seeing, with the abbreviated state first?

Also, when I go into "More" for detailed info about the dealer,
the phone number is spread out with spaces between each number, ie:
( 5 1 6 ) 3 5 2 - 7 4 7 4

Is that correct format too?

Your zip file also contains 2 Excel files, one comma delimited and one worksheet, as well as a 52k .GPX file. None of these transferred with POI loader. I can add them manually through using the USB cable, but do I need those files on the GPS too?

Lastly, when I go to Custom POI's on the 660, it just comes up with the full list of dealers, but doesn't say "US BMW Dealers" first on the screen. If I added another POI list (say all McDonald's restaurants), will they be merged with the BMW dealer list, or would they then be separated into two sub-groups? If not, how can I make the GPS show the POI title?

I also PM's you this note in case you see that first.

Thanks a million!

Larry

Read post above and downloaded Google Worksheet as a .CSV and installed on GPS. Got rid of the spaces between the phone number numerals. Only thing is it said Line 26 is a problem, so I deleted it from my downloaded copy and its OK now. Still would like to know about POI categories/list names if anyone knows.
Thanks.

I guess to clarify, if I add a 2nd POI list (let's say McDonald's), will the BMW dealer list and the 2nd list be combined together, or will the GPS prompt me to hit another button after "Custom POIs" (ie: US BMW Dealers or McDonald's) and will the lists be separated?

Last edited:
Back