• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Back of the Dragon Day 2013

Where is the Back of the Dragon, the Tail of the Dragon and the Claw of the Dragon?
Are they part of the same Dragon (the VA Dragon, not the Tenn Dragon)? How many bikes show up on Dragon Day?
Charlie

Where is the Back of the Dragon, the Tail of the Dragon and the Claw of the Dragon?
Are they part of the same Dragon (the VA Dragon, not the Tenn Dragon)? How many bikes show up on Dragon Day?
Charlie

Back of the Dragon is Rt 16 between Marion, Va and Tazewell, Va. Last year, the spring Back of the Dragon day had a couple of thousand bikes in Tazewell. The Rally was held downtown on Main Street (small town you know). The Claw of the Dragon was a group of rides put together by neighboring Wythe County. I don't know that there is actually a Claw. Tail of the Dragon is a totally separate thing and was the first with the Dragon name. The Dragon part was a copycat idea. I was outvoted.

You should come down and visit. I lived in Lynchburg for 11 years and it is only a 2.5 hour ride on 4 lane roads.

We did a car trip to Virginia last week (the wife won't ride on my motorcycle). I did the "Back of the Dragon" in the car, and the above photograph is a good one: some of those curves are completely blind, with rock walls very close to the pavement, and the "15 mph" advisory sign is appropriate. I was ahead of a guy on a GS and pulled off at my first opportunity to allow him to enjoy the road as it was meant to be, on a motorcycle!

Harry

Road looks like this.

I was standing at this very spot, above Hungry Mother State Park, just a few short days ago. When the sign indicates curves with a 15 MPH speed "suggestion" for three miles ahead, in either direction- you've found motorcycle Nirvana!

So that's The Back Of The Dragon? Sweet. We didn't ride all of it, we'd come down VA 42 (a fantastic long running road, BTW) to 16, turned left, and took 16 into Marion. WHERE we managed to seek out THE only mom-n-pop diner in all of Marion- near as we could tell.

The AppleTree restaurant.
Address: 1050 Virginia 16, Marion, VA 24354
Phone: (276) 782-9977
Hours: 8:00 am?8:00 pm - 7 days a week.

If you're passing through Marion, stop by and check them out. We had breakfast. Food was good, and the people friendly.

Forecast for the Back of the Dragon Day next Saturday is partly cloudy with a high of 81. Hope it doesn't change and hope to see you there.

Thousands of motorcycles on a beautiful day with a good Monster stunt team, good music and good food. ..................... The thing that was missing was BMW motorcycles. .................................................

That is because we are smart enough to show up when it is deserted and have a spirited ride over some great pavement. I don't ride the GAP anymore, even when a few miles from it. Too many great roads with no traffic, no unreasonable speed limits or LEO's laying in wait, all through the Smokey's.

When I ran it a month ago, I had one car pull over for me, other than that NO traffic, just the way I like it!

Dragons

That is because we are smart enough to show up when it is deserted and have a spirited ride over some great pavement. I don't ride the GAP anymore, even when a few miles from it. Too many great roads with no traffic, no unreasonable speed limits or LEO's laying in wait, all through the Smokey's.

When I ran it a month ago, I had one car pull over for me, other than that NO traffic, just the way I like it!

I live 1.5 hours from the gap. South. I will go to social but there are so many great roads surrounding as stated. 28, 129, 215, 107, 209, 208, 64, 143....I could go on forever. Less traffic, some with Zero.
The BMW dealer in Asheville has a fantastic map of the roads enlarged on their wall. Unfortunately it was done privately. We are trying to get him to go public with it.
Ride safe.

The BMW dealer in Asheville has a fantastic map of the roads enlarged on their wall. Unfortunately it was done privately. We are trying to get him to go public with it.
Ride safe.

Damn, I should have asked them to take it down when I was there, if it had any of the smaller less known stuff, I like.

I personally like the GAP exists and its publicity, it keeps the clowns and pirates all clustered in one place, they are easier to avoid that way. BTW, the GAP has 220 turns at most, not close to 318 unless you count every wiggle Bubba the solid double yellow guy made as he sipped his Busch light, while painting the road.

I live 1.5 hours from the gap. South. I will go to social but there are so many great roads surrounding as stated. 28, 129, 215, 107, 209, 208, 64, 143....I could go on forever. Less traffic, some with Zero.
Ride safe.

I'm with PFFOG in wondering why in the world you want everyone to know all the great roads around Deal's Gap!
Keep that to yourselves down there. Anyone smart enough, WILL figure it out on their own.
Keep the knuckleheads on one road, and save the better roads for US!

NOW- back to VA 16- awesome, and next time I'm down there, I'll make it a point to ride from Tazewell to Marion, instead of just riding half of it. (Tho I have to put in a word for VA 42- NICE LONG road with nobody on it)

NOW- back to VA 16- awesome, and next time I'm down there, I'll make it a point to ride from Tazewell to Marion, instead of just riding half of it. (Tho I have to put in a word for VA 42- NICE LONG road with nobody on it)

We have a lot of good roads down here but 16 is just the easiest one to direct people to. VA 42 is a nice long road but it is so straight (compared to most around here) because it runs down a valley. Next time you're down this way, stop at the tourism center at Exit 35 off of I-81 and pick up some maps for some really good rides that will take you into WV, TN, NC and just a touch of KY.

There's a section of US 58 west of Martinsville, from Stuart to where it crosses the Blue Ridge Parkway that was a nice twisty road that climbed up to the "Lovers Leap" overlook.

Harry

Map

I'm with PFFOG in wondering why in the world you want everyone to know all the great roads around Deal's Gap!
Keep that to yourselves down there. Anyone smart enough, WILL figure it out on their own.
Keep the knuckleheads on one road, and save the better roads for US!

It does not matter....They wont ride them for no one does. For the younger generation "knuckleheads" its all about who's watching, what your riding and wearing. Come on down and I will take you on a tour......

Last edited:
It does not matter....They wont ride them for no one does. For the younger generation "knuckleheads" its all about who's watching, what your riding and wearing. Come on down and I will take you on a tour......

I do agree with this to a point. Probably only 1% of the riders out there could/would spend all day in 2nd and 3rd gear, they have 150 HP and want to see 100 between every corner, and the cruisers would have nowhere to rest their feet, their floorboards would be ground off after a day of riding the really good stuff. In fact I find the Cherry-cola and the B(u)RP boring, both have great views, but to be fun you need more speed than I like. Nothing like grinding the pegs off in 2nd gear at 40 mph.

That said, look at Shady Valley, they say the 421 is frequented by the LEO, now that it has become more popular. Traffic and Accidents do that. Now if I had skin in the game, a store/tee shirt shop/ repair/ towing , or Ambulance service, I would promote the heck out my area.

That said, look at Shady Valley, they say the 421 is frequented by the LEO, now that it has become more popular. Traffic and Accidents do that. Now if I had skin in the game, a store/tee shirt shop/ repair/ towing , or Ambulance service, I would promote the heck out my area.

Our little group of retired old codgers meet for breakfast once per week and ride a couple of hundred miles through the mountains. We ride the Snake about once a month (each direction is a totally different ride on all of our roads). We ride it during the workweek and we seldom see a LEO or many bikes at all (which is the case with all of our rides). The Snake is a very small part of our ride since most of the roads we ride to get there are our little secret.

I don't see any problem with promoting a road to attract tourists and their money. If the LEOs and motorcyclists are concentrating on the popular roads, our favorite roads are available for us locals to enjoy by ourselves.

I don't see any problem with promoting a road to attract tourists and their money. If the LEOs and motorcyclists are concentrating on the popular roads, our favorite roads are available for us locals to enjoy by ourselves.

As I said, I would be promoting the heck out of it if I owned the store, just smart business practice. And although not local you do have company on those small back roads, I will give a wave if I see you. Not many twisty ones I don't know, even being a Yankee. And don't worry, I keep them quiet too.

Back