• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Need Help With Electrical Problem

bobr9

99 R1100RT

Background: Recently installed a SAE to USB tank bag connector so I can charge my cell phone. Power is coming off the dash powerlet outlet. Prior to installation I had the side fairings and gas tank off for some maintenance on brakes and front shock.

Issue: I have blown the fuse twice which powers the dash powerlet as well as the turn signals and windshield motor. I replaced the sae to usb connector after the first incident as I had reason to believe it may have been defective. Went for a ride today and initially there was no indication of power getting to the cell phone. when I got back home I started playing around with it, wiggling the powerlet adapter in the socket, and the usb power light would go on and off. So I am thinking that I have a less than perfect connection there. All of a sudden the fuse blows again.

Request some advice on an approach to troubleshoot this problem. For example, does anyone know if the wiring harness for the dash outlet might be one that is vulnerable to being pinched when either the gas tank of side fairings are removed and reinstalled?

99 R1100RT

Background: Recently installed a SAE to USB tank bag connector so I can charge my cell phone. Power is coming off the dash powerlet outlet. Prior to installation I had the side fairings and gas tank off for some maintenance on brakes and front shock.

Issue: I have blown the fuse twice which powers the dash powerlet as well as the turn signals and windshield motor. I replaced the sae to usb connector after the first incident as I had reason to believe it may have been defective. Went for a ride today and initially there was no indication of power getting to the cell phone. when I got back home I started playing around with it, wiggling the powerlet adapter in the socket, and the usb power light would go on and off. So I am thinking that I have a less than perfect connection there. All of a sudden the fuse blows again.

Request some advice on an approach to troubleshoot this problem. For example, does anyone know if the wiring harness for the dash outlet might be one that is vulnerable to being pinched when either the gas tank of side fairings are removed and reinstalled?

Something is loose and sometimes touching something it shouldn't. While loose - no power. When touching maybe making contact, or when touching, shorting and blowing the fuse. Take that connection apart, examine it, and then fix or replace it.

Back