• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

91 K75RT clutch release boot

roncooper

Does the muffler have to be removed to change the boot? I can't see any way to move the release lever to get clearance without removing the muffler.

Can the boot be changed with the lever in place?

Do you mean the cup #6 ?
clucth.jpg

Squeeze the clutch release on the handlebars.
Stick a wedge or something between the clutch lever and the muffler so the lever can't move back when you release the clutch.
Disconnect the lower end of the clutch cable from the clutch lever.
Remove the wedge.

You can now easily move the lever #7 that depresses the clutch rod. The rubber cup can be removed after you unscrew the clamp#5. There is a spring behind it. If you remove the piston #3 make sure you don't reassemble it backwards.

Do you mean the cup #6 ?
View attachment 39472

You can now easily move the lever #7 that depresses the clutch rod. The rubber cup can be removed after you unscrew the clamp#5. There is a spring behind it. If you remove the piston #3 make sure you don't reassemble it backwards.

Yes #6. After I disconnect the cable, I can only move the lever a very short distance before it hits the muffler. What am I missing here?

Also the boot is holding you back. I ripped mine as I was taking pieces off. I should have removed the clamp first and take the boot off from the base. As in mine, the clamp was stuck into the rubber boot due to age. Since the boot was already ripped, I just tore the clamp away from the boot. Although I may now also need a new clamp because the edges are now irregular and may cut into the new boot.

I took the muffler off to give more room. When I tried to put the new boot on, I had trouble with the spring pushing the boot back. I ended up putting the spring and boot in place, then moving the release lever back and re hooking the cable.

I then positioned the boot and put the clamp on.

Back