• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

R100RT 1990 clutch shaft lub.

Bob 1642

I have just returned from Fl with the bike on the back of our motorhome and now is the time to address the stcking clutch issue. What is the best lub to use on the spline shaft and should the transmison be removed completly? All the road grime from the trip back is now removed and some oil leaks will also have to be resolved.
Thanks Bob

Bob -

Another thread was started about the rear wheel splines...the answers there are applicable to your situation as well:

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?67796-73-R60-5-Final-Drive-Spline-Lube-Question

In a pinch, the transmission can be slid back, cleaned and lubed through the roughly 1" inch crack. But, it really should be done by removing the transmission for a thorough cleaning and inspection.

A couple of sites that describe the pull-back-the-tranny approach:

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/inputsplinesthrowout.htm

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/spline/

Work in progress

I read in Snowbum's sight that some clutch push shafts were oversize and would tighten up when things got hot. Anyone had this promblem? Waiting on parts to change pushrod tubes seals to stop oil leaks on the motor. I have also removed the air into the exhaust system maybe this will help with the heat. Is it a good thing to remove the catalatic converter or would that not keep things cooler.
Cheers Bob

Right you are it's the primary muffler. Would using stright pipes to replace it not keep some of the heat away from the trany when stuck in trafic?

Are you talking about the cross-over pipe? I can't see that would really contribute significantly to the heat of the transmission...the transmission is bolted to engine case and the clutch is sandwiched between...seems like that's where your heat is coming from. It's a debate about removing the cross-over pipe. BMW did it to improve general performance, especially the mid range torque as I recall. Getting rid of it will likely hurt some areas of performance but might help the top end...but not many of us spend that much time pushing the bike at the top end of RPM.

isn't Bob talking about the big box where the two pipes turn into one? I have seen a clean 2 into 1 where the pipe goes to a larger diameter, does this improve flow? or is it about looks?

I'm not as familiar with the later bikes, but there is listed a "front muffler" part 18121452097 for the '90 R100RT. Certainly more than just a cross-over. :dunno

Back