• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Replacment Shock Question - about my 2005, R1200GS

I have 72,000 miles on my bike now, and the front and rear shocks are OEM. Bike doesn't feel as secure on the road now as when it was newer and I'm thinking about replacing them. I ride 2-up frequently, mostly highway, loaded bags.

Any suggestions for a cost-effective upgrade? Do I have to replace both front and rear? I'm planning on keeping the bike for another 50,000 miles or so.

Thanks!

A couple of thoughts: you can buy some relatively new OEM shocks off Ebay or the Flea Market. You can buy some aftermarket shocks, keep your OEM shocks and when you sell or trade the bike, reinstall the OEM shocks and sell the aftermarket shocks, which keep their value pretty well. I would do the latter and have; I have found Ohlins shocks to be downright transformational insofar as handling and comfort.

Larry

I have 72,000 miles on my bike now, and the front and rear shocks are OEM. Bike doesn't feel as secure on the road now as when it was newer and I'm thinking about replacing them. I ride 2-up frequently, mostly highway, loaded bags.

Any suggestions for a cost-effective upgrade? Do I have to replace both front and rear? I'm planning on keeping the bike for another 50,000 miles or so.

Thanks!

Cost effective and shocks don't always go hand in hand. :) Used OEM shocks are usually shot. That's why they are being replaced. The OEM shocks can't be re-built. A used set of after-market shocks may be a good thing if you can get them cheap enough. But: you've got to plan on spending another $300-$400 to get them re-built to your specifications (mainly ride weight). My Ohlins were MUCH better after a re-build than they were new. The re-builder better matched my needs (weight, typical load, etc) better than the original build.

A new rear Ohlins, for example, is about $950. The front is about $100 less. YOu can pay more if you want more adjustment options. You might find some used, but don't forget to add that $200-$400 rebuild to your total cost. You will want to have them re-built regardless of what the seller says.

Now for the self serving part of this post... I have some used Ohlins that came off an '05 GS (and need a rebuild) that I've been thinking of selling. BM 436 rear and BM 437 front. If interested email me. If not... never mind.

.................... Used OEM shocks are usually shot. That's why they are being replaced. The OEM shocks can't be re-built. A used set of after-market shocks may be a good thing if you can get them cheap enough. But: you've got to plan on spending another $300-$400 to get them re-built to your specifications (mainly ride weight). My Ohlins were MUCH better after a re-build than they were new. The re-builder better matched my needs (weight, typical load, etc) better than the original build.

A new rear Ohlins, for example, is about $950. The front is about $100 less. YOu can pay more if you want more adjustment options. You might find some used, but don't forget to add that $200-$400 rebuild to your total cost. You will want to have them re-built regardless of what the seller says.

Now for the self serving part of this post... I have some used Ohlins that came off an '05 GS (and need a rebuild) that I've been thinking of selling. BM 436 rear and BM 437 front. If interested email me. If not... never mind.

You do not but premium suspension, you only rent it, look at prices for used Ohlins, it is usually 2/3 of new, so look at it as a lease, with the $$ up front. Either way, it is the best $$$ you can spend on the bike IMHO.

If MM's have the correct spring, and he is reasonable in what he is asking, you can get them rebuilt for about $100 each here: http://www.smsuspensionsystems.com/ You won't regret it.

Mine too;

My '08GSA stock shocks went 75000m or so and sprung a leak(rear one). I replaced both at 2200$, Ohlin's. The GSA shocks tend to cost more than regular GS bikes. Ouch! My second set of Ohlin's(this lifetime, 2 bikes) and even at the huge cost, a great buy to keep a great bike handling better than new:). These bikes have a LOT more miles than most anybody ever rides them. I push 100000m again and will go way into the next 100000m before I would consider it worn down for a trade in. Shocks are worth the cost for us long milers:) Randy

On our 07 RT we went and had Works Shocks installed by Hermy's ($2500). We went with the Works because their shock can be rebuild. So far we love them on the local twisty, but have not done a long trip on them. Yellowstone and the Beartooth will be the LD testing.
Tony

I replaced shocks on 2006 GS at 52000 miles with Hyperpro. Less than Ohlins and about same as Wilber's. price includes first rebuild. Very happy with them

Thanks to everyone for the great words of insight. Do the new GS's have better quality shocks than my older bike? For the value of my '05 now which is roughly $9K, I might as well sell it and buy a new one if new shocks are going to run me $2,000.00. MM, what are you thinking you might ask for your old Ohlins? That's a possibility. I like the idea of the Hyperpro units too - I'll check those out also.

I doubt the stock shocks on any newer BMW are any better quality than the shocks on the older models. BMW, like all the bike makers simply don't see spending more than needed on shocks as true added value to the bike. Most riders never put on enough miles to wear out the shocks on their bikes (perhaps BMW riders as an exception to other brand riders). Also, most people trade up their bikes, or sell and get something else, before their bikes get enough miles on them to wear out the shocks.

I mean, how many bikes have you seen, up to ten years old, with not even 20,000 miles on the odometer. A LOT of them. So why should the manufacturer put extra money into the shocks when basic units get by for the first many years of a bike's active life. Also, most riders don't care or even know that their shocks are crapped out. So again, why put the money into them from the manufacturer's point of view?

BMW riders, many of us, are different in that many of us DO ride 5k, 10k, 30k and more in one year. So it would seem to make sense that BMW should spend the bucks on decent shocks. BUT, BMW bikes are already expensive, and good quality shocks would add extra cost that most unknowing buyers would see no value in. So back to the earlier reasons. Bike builders only spend just as much on shocks to hold the bike up for a few years, the rest is up to us. That said, I am curious if shocks made by Gazi or Hagon are more cost effective alternatives than the Ohlins, Wilbers, Hyperpro, Race-tech, Penske, etc, etc. I do know the Wilbers on my 94 RS transformed the bike and I doubt I'll ever rider another BMW with stock shocks again.

hello, I just replaced the stock shocks on my 2005 R 1200 GS,( 81,000 miles ) went with Ohlins front and rear. the change is amazing, it feels like a new bike. on the front I went with adjustment for rebound and compression, in back the base unit you adjust with a spanner , compression only. it cost just under $1600 and I installed them myself, as far as I am concerned it is the best money I have spent since I got my Beadrider seat cover.

Cost-effective,no - Expensive-effective, yes

Despite the cost Ohlins truly makes a remarkable difference. If you can possibly afford it do so.

Thanks everyone for the words of wisdom. I've decided to go with a new, low-end set of Ohlins. Less than $2K installed.
I'll let you all know how they work out!

Back