• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

any airheads is western MA. ?

spinalcracker

I just picked up a 1972 R60/5 and have a bunch of questions. I have read the forums and different sites that have helped out a lot.

My biggest question is about the clutch. This is my first old bike and the clutch is really hard to pull. After doing research I'm going to replace the clutch cable first. Before I starting chasing the geese I would like for someone to check it out and let me know what they think.

The next thing I would do would be to have the clutch splines lubed. The guy I got it from had it for 10 years and never lubed the clutch spline. But I don't want to go through that to find out it needs a clutch.

I live in in Southampton MA so anywhere in Western MA , Southern VT so anywhere in theses areas I can ride it to to have someone check it out would be great.

my email mglaiel (at) comcast (dot) net

I just picked up a 1972 R60/5 and have a bunch of questions. I have read the forums and different sites that have helped out a lot.

My biggest question is about the clutch. This is my first old bike and the clutch is really hard to pull. After doing research I'm going to replace the clutch cable first. Before I starting chasing the geese I would like for someone to check it out and let me know what they think.

The next thing I would do would be to have the clutch splines lubed. The guy I got it from had it for 10 years and never lubed the clutch spline. But I don't want to go through that to find out it needs a clutch.

I live in in Southampton MA so anywhere in Western MA , Southern VT so anywhere in theses areas I can ride it to to have someone check it out would be great.

You might want to check out the Yankee Beemers site for that area. http://kenspring.com/ybforum/forum.php OM

Is your clutch slipping? This would be most noticeable driving along in top gear when you roll on the throttle.

Depending on how mechanical you are, it may be worth it just to open it up, lube the splines, replace the clutch if need be, and be off to a fresh start. If you are not that mechanical, but you plan on keeping the bike and riding it a lot, it might be worth having it professionally looked at. Doing the clutch is a bit of work, but when its time, its time ;-(

BMW clutch

AJ's in Gill - rt. 2 Allen is the proprietor, David is the Cert. wrench / http://www.ajcycle.com/
SecondWind in Amherst, NH / Max's in Albany area, and in Southern Conn.
my old air head guru was in Ellington, Conn - next to TSI Harley - but retired back in 05 ish / Frank DeGray may still be around ??
I've moved on to an oilhead

spinalcracker (chuckle...that's funny!) -

Go to the link in my signature line and search for "Airhead clutch cable adjustment". You'll find the BMW-taught method for adjusting the clutch cable. Change your cable and then adjust it per this method...that should make a lot of difference.

Spinalcracker, (Beatle's Come Together?)

I'm just up the road in Easthampton and would second both Omega Man's Yankee Beemers suggestion and 42454's suggestion about AJ's in Gill (it's on the south side of Route 2 east from Turner's Falls. Call AJ's in advance; I haven't yet figured-out his hours (probably my withering brain!).

You might want to check the Anonymous Book, too!

Back