• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2009 R1200RT Tupperware modification to assist with gearbox oil change.

beamermeup

2009 R1200RT
Looking for feedback on the idea of drilling a hole in the right side plastic in alignment with the gearbox oil fill port.
Seems to me this would save alot of labor in removing plastic on right side just to get to the oil fill port. I am considering drilling a hole similar to the ones that are drilled to accomodate power ports. After the hole is drilled and the edge is smoothed and fitted with rubber collar, it should be a simple task to extract the gearbox fill port bolt and to add fresh oil to the gearbox. I don't see any downside , other than cosmetic looks. Pros - Cons ?

Don't have an RT so just thinking outloud.

How often do you change the gearbox oil? Is it a solitary event or is this a service time when most likely you will have the panels off to do other things as well? The panels are a pain on my K RS and seem to need to come off for so many minor reasons. I understand learning how to do something that avoids removing them. Still for fluids and such, that is usually time when other tasks are being done. If this a once a year task, or maybe only every other year, I think I would leave it alone.

NCS

Might want to look up the cost of a replacement panel, as that will be the deduction from what you get when you sell/trade in your bike.

R1200RT panels are super easy to take off and remount.

I wouldn't drill the panel. The panels are so easy to remove and the amount of times you have to drain the tranny fluid doesn't make it worth it to me. If you're replacing the tranny fluid, wouldn't you also be doing the other scheduled maintenance at the same time and removing the panels anyway?

As was said elsewhere and now here.

Not a great idea to damage a pricey panel when all you need is to know how to pull the plastic. Literally 10-15 min with only tools required being a T-25 and T-30 torx. And unlike stuff like a Goldwing, they go back on as easily as they come off with a good fit. If you encounter what looks like a fit issue, its something screwed up in the work...

Most owners only put enough miles to change gearbox lube ever 2-6 years. Takes a high miler, 1 bike rider to get to the point that this is an annual...

Thanks to all for your comments. Since gearbox oil change is only required every two years probably not worth the time and potential damage to the side panel.

Back