• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

shutting off the lap timer on the S1000RR

rickmayer

Could someone PLEASE post how to shut off this damned lap timer? I've gone through the manual a dozen times and have played with the menus and sub menus, and sub-sub menus until my fingers were numb and I still can't figure out how to shut this thing off. I'll start off in the "road" display with engine temp, time, trip 1 mileage, and then, seemingly on it's own a lap # will appear and blink constantly in the upper left-annoying and distracting. Thanks

infrared sensor likely culprit

My dealer suspects it's the bike's infrared sensor reacting to environmental signals such as cell phones, security systems, etc and "thinking" it's on a track getting tagged by the finish line-they are going to check it out next service.

Got no idea whers they hide that sensor on your bike but if its IR for the track, must a staight view out the side someplace- whgere a piece of black tape would blind it until you can get it fixed.

I was curious and did a little digging (a dangerous combination). I don't know if any of this will help. Max Motorcycles parts fiche: This description was under the accessory. Combine it with an accessory wiring diagram and you may be able to unplug the thing.

A Laptimer can optionally be connected to the HP instrument cluster for use on the racetrack. The HP instrument cluster can be retrofitted as an accessory.
Laptimer function:
The HP instrument cluster offers the opportunity to record data such as maximum, minimum and average speeds, lap times, engine revs, etc., of up to 100 race laps.
The individual race laps must be delimited from each other for this purpose:
- Without a Laptimer the rider must manually acknowledge each lap start by pressing the SET button.
- There is no manual acknowledgement when the Laptimer is used. The laps are recorded automatically using an infrared receiver on the motorcycle and an infrared transmitter positioned on the racetrack.
Advantages:
- Absolutely exact delimitation of the individual laps.
- Increased convenience and safety for the rider (no distractions).
Infrared receiver:
- Weatherproof housing.
- Connected to the free plug of the accessory wiring harness. The connection is easily accessible - the infrared receiver can be easily removed at any time for anti-theft protection purposes.

Infrared transmitter:
- Weatherproof plastic housing.
- Connecting cable for power supply with plug for cigarette lighter
- Range of infrared transmitter: up to 65 feet.
One infrared transmitter can be used by several riders (each having an infrared receiver). It is recommended that only one infrared transmitter be used on the racetrack at any one time as otherwise incorrect lap times may be recorded. Note: The power supply for the infrared transmitter is not included in the scope of delivery.
There are several power-supply options:
- Connection to a (removed) motorcycle battery: the charger adapter lead is also required in addition to the motorcycle battery for this purpose. This lead can be clamped with its two alligator clips to the battery terminals.
- 12V power pack from electronic retailers. Infrared-transmitter plug matching the cigarette lighter (with adapter) or matching the motorcycle power socket (without adapter). (Adapter included in the infraredtransmitter scope of delivery.) Installation instructions and instructions for use on CD

This is a precise description of how an aftermarket IR device (Hot Lap timer) used by cage racers for many years works.
With the advent of radio transponders that replaced them, such devces have become almost obsolete. Transponder systems are far more capable and simplify race scoring. I've even seen them used at track driving schools to grid cars in order of fast lap time to minimize the potetnial for passing accidents.

Back