• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

09 R1200 RT Michelin Pilot Road 3 New Tires

My 2010RT came with Conti Road Attack's, I didn't like them. I thought they were a little too quick handling for me. Same as the Z8's. I like the more neutral handling PR3's, and they wear longer. My riding style is pretty moderate.

+1. The handling was greatly improved and they have delt with rain and snow with no issues.

Put them on my R1200GS and love them, ride 2up a lot and have almost 6K and still look good?. when time I will put them on again? great in the rain and dry? spend time on the Dragon, and the Snake 421? and all I said after was love this tires!!!

Another Happy Rider with the PR3's

On our 2nd set here, run 40 up front and 42 in the rear 100% of the time 2 up or not.

1st set lasted 15,500 miles, 2nd set at 9,400 miles and expecting them to last just as long.

PR3's in my experience is an Excellent overall performer especially for the RT

08RT with almost 60,000 mile of SMILES

:thumb

So where is the best place and price to get a set?

Tom

Have you tried your local dealer? Many dealers are hurting and most of them will appreciate your business. So many motorcycle folks have gone out of business over the past 4 years it is probably not beneficial for the customer base to lose that dealer. BMW NA has forced many of them into facilities that are extremely expensive. BMW is nothing more than a niche market trying to support the "castle" now. You'll probably pay more for the tires but if necessary see what you can work out with them if anything.

South Florida is an excellent example of what not to do. The BMW dealer closes shop maybe 7 to 9 years ago in Boca Raton, Florida well before the financial crisis. BMW doesn't even declare an open point for a number of years I think it was and then proceeded to make the store requirements so strict you would be out of your mind to venture forth. The result...? For years there has been no BMW dealer between Ft Lauderdale and Orlando and Daytona. This turns out to be an approximate 250 mile distance. I fail to see how this is beneficial to current BMW owners much less prospective owners.

Long story short... try to purchase from your local dealer if at all possible.

I am just glad to have something on my bike without Bridgestone on it. I first put RP3 on the rear, then the front. Not impressed with the mileage on the rear tire, I have about 6K on the rear now and I am hoping it survives the rally I am in this weekend. The front seems to be wearing evenly with no cupping issues like I had on the 2 Bridgestones I used before.

Pilot Road 3's & Avon Storm 2 Ultra's

I am just glad to have something on my bike without Bridgestone on it. I first put RP3 on the rear, then the front. Not impressed with the mileage on the rear tire, I have about 6K on the rear now and I am hoping it survives the rally I am in this weekend. The front seems to be wearing evenly with no cupping issues like I had on the 2 Bridgestones I used before.

IMO Pilot Road 3's are an excellent tire especially in area's where you have the twisties. But they are not necessarily a long mileage tire. Now if you live in an area such as South Florida where the only turns consist of exit and entrance ramps onto interstates I personally think Avon Storm 2 Ultra's are a better choice. Not as widely promoted as Michelin's for sure but Avon has been in the business for decades and those Storm 2 Ultra's seem to hold up pretty well mileage wise with good cornering capabilities to boot.

In addition, make sure you're checking your tire pressure at least 2 times a month. In my declining years I seem to forget more and more so I have my own method of remembering to do the air: the 1st and the 16th of the month are my air days. Why do I remember the 1st and the 16th? The beginning of each month is obvious but the 16th? No clue really I just know it works for me! Season to taste. But do it religiously.

Back