• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Plastic melting?

pbrich

I am live in Las Vegas and we have only had a couple of days over 85??F. After my 650gt sat outside in that weather, the plastic covering the instrument display panel as well as the plastic to the speedo needle have both melted! I have an appointment tomorrow with my local BMW service center, but am wondering if anyone else may be having similar issues. I love my bike but am afraid it will be nothing but a puddle once it gets really hot this summer!

That's crazy! Please post some pics and keep us posted what the dealer says. I'm in Sacramento and we have our share of >100F days.

Something does not add up here - someone is screwing with it or something was put on it, or there is some magnifying or other heat source going on. That plastic would take a much higher temp than that to melt.

Something does not add up here - someone is screwing with it or something was put on it, or there is some magnifying or other heat source going on. That plastic would take a much higher temp than that to melt.

I suspected possible vandalism the first time, ie, the cover melting like it did. But the plastic on the speedometer needle is under the clear plastic covering for the instrument panel. The bike, while parked outside both days that this damage occurred, was not in a place that would make it easy for someone to stand there with a magnifying glass without being questioned. The lot is monitored with video surveillance and security. I'll see what the dealer has to say.

Does the bike have hot air blowing on it? Or perhaps at some time of the day light reflecting off a sheet of glass somewhere that is not obvious at other times?

The idea of plastic that melts at 85 degrees does not really make sense to me...

I just returned from BMW motorcycles of LV. The always professional service department let me know that while they had not seen this on the new scooters, there was a bike a few years back that experienced a similar issue. Because of the cost, they stopped replacing the instrument panel under the warranty for that bike. As this is a new bike, he took pics and will be forwarding them on to the engineers directly. Once they make a decision as to whether or not this is covered under warranty he will get back to me. I asked him about the relatively low outside temp causing this and he replied that in the case of the other bike, it had more to do with how the sun was reflecting off the windshield etc. I will keep you posted on the status.

Back