• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW Motorrad Navigator III: Not working properly. Is it fixable??

barry5k

I know this is getting dated, but I have used this on my 07 R1200RT since day one. Here is the problem: When viewing the map, it will constantly change to the calibration screen, or to the trip info screen. Back and forth, back and forth. Sometimes with I press a function button, nothing happens. Everything works fine for awhile, then the above stuff happens. I have recently updated a new map and have cleaned all contact points.

This thing was expensive. Has anyone had the same issues and is this unit salvageable?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Sounds to me like the touchscreen is going.
Garmin charges a nominal fee to repair, like $100.

However, I think I remember that they are no longer repairing those units.
You can look it up on the Garmin site.

Indeed - Garmin will not repair the 2600-2800 based series (which includes the NAV-III) and this isn't an uncommon failure of the digitizer. While screen/digitizers are available for later model Garmin GPS's (on eBay) - none appear available for this series. I think they simply aren't out there anymore.

That said - my NAV-III started exhibiting this behavior (not frequently, but enough to be annoying). Garmin's tech support suggest re-calibrating the digitizer (done from the Screen options of the Settings menu, ie - Settings/Screen/Calibrate Touch Screen.) It's unlikely this is going to help, but it can't hurt, so might as well try it.

What I ended up doing that seems to have "cured" mine - at least for the moment - was disassembling it (easy to do, but fiddly) and removing the screen from the front casing, and cleaning around where it seals to the front casing. Dirt/grit can work it's way down into that gap (it's sealed with a gasket IIRC) causing the screen to think you're touching it. Since I did this - it hasn't done the phantom touch at all. I won't suggest doing it unless you're comfortable in working with delicate electronics, and only if you're considering junking it if you can't fix it.

I also know one chap who has bought cheap 2700 units off eBay used - and swapped the screen/digitizer over. This worked for him. It's not clear to me if the reason it worked is because he put a clean screen into his old unit, or if there was an actual digitizer failure.

Good luck with it! It's a great unit when it's working correctly (as is evidenced by the resale value of working ones on eBay.) In some ways I prefer it over the Garmin 660 that's currently on the bike. I do know in some instances it gave much more accurate directions then a 660 a friend was riding with, particularly in Canada last summer.

What I ended up doing that seems to have "cured" mine - at least for the moment - was disassembling it (easy to do, but fiddly) and removing the screen from the front casing, and cleaning around where it seals to the front casing. Dirt/grit can work it's way down into that gap (it's sealed with a gasket IIRC) causing the screen to think you're touching it. Since I did this - it hasn't done the phantom touch at all. I won't suggest doing it unless you're comfortable in working with delicate electronics, and only if you're considering junking it if you can't fix it.

Thanks for the reminder. I had the same problem on a Nuvi I had. The casing was touching the screen. As it would vibrate it would randomly push the screen.
I took the case apart, put some light heat on it, and pulled away slightly. The behavior stopped. I have a 2720 also, but have not had that problem.

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll do that. It does jiggle around somewhat in the holder on the bike, so maybe it's loose, needs a cleaning, and a refit. I'll try that!!!!

Any luck?

Yeah, I'm cheap. I'm still using my III. It's my secondary for sure, since I use my iPhone 8+ and Waze as my primary navigator...but still I'd like to keep the III running.

Back