• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

shipping costs

2slowwheels

I need to ship a fairing from New York to Minnesota, anyone have ideas on best way to ship without spending the price of the fairing?

I would find a box it fits in, and then go to a UPS store, as well as the post office and see what they quote.

I shipped a nose fairing from a 03 K1200RS from Iowa to Ca. UPS was about $60 and the post office was around $30. The package hardly weighed anything, but was big by the time I packed protective material around the fairing.
If you go to the UPS website you can get pretty close to the shipping cost when you enter the dimensions, weight and insurance wanted.
As mentioned above I have taken packages to UPS and USPS for quotes.

Air is pretty expensive to ship. You still have to put it in a box, and a box takes up space in the plane/truck. UPS charges by what they call "dimensional weight" which compensates them for light weight cargo taking up the same space as heavier stuff of the same physical size. That's why they ask for the length,width, height and weight.

+1 on the UPS website's estimator accuracy. > http://www.ups.com/?Site=Corporate&cookie=us_en_home&setCookie=yes

When girth is very large FedEx will usually be the cheapest with UPS 2nd. If it has to go freight, well don't bother.:) Bus maybe for very time sensitive stuff that you don't want there anytime soon-formula would be car travel time X's 3:) Only by putting it in a box , all padded & comfy,then weigh & measure, will you know. As an occasional seller on ebay I can suggest that there are electronic scales for sale on ebay via Hong Kong that come in handy for such jobs and more. The accuracy will come right in with the USPS scale too. Guessing is futile unless based on shipping experience! :banghead

I just shipped a LT seat to KonTour Seats in Tucson AZ from Charlotte NC. The box was 24" x 30" x 20". I went to a UPS store & shipped ground on Sat. & it arrived on Friday for just under $20. I did not insure it.

Attachments

• KonTour Seat 004.jpg
    KonTour Seat 004.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 498
Back