• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Heated Grip Failure - R1150R right side

JRD

Live the Dream
The right heated grip on my 2003 R1150R is not working. The left one heats up fine. I searched the forum for information on how to troubleshoot and repair but didn't find anything, can anyone help with a link or advice?

Heated grips have a snap-fit connector under the tank. find the one for the malfunctioing grip, and see what the curent is at that point. You will likely find that it is either 1) leads disconnected at that location, or b) current flows fine to that point, and the grip is shot. The grips are not differentially fused, so one off/one on is not going to be a fuse or relay issue.

Yep you have to trouble shoot the wiring before you chuck the heated grip. Many years ago mine turned out to be a pinched wire problem/ Fixed it and the heated grip worked fine.

After you determine that juice is on it's way from the spot mentioned above then look at the continuity of the wires going to the grip area. Removing the tight cable ties and checking for a open short. Especially if you have riser/setbacks this is a an area prone to a wire issue-happened to me right there !

right side heated grip not working

Do you happen to have a Throttlemiester bar end on that grip? It can easily rotate and break the wiring at that point. Does not solve your problem, but may prevent a future one.

no Throttlemeister, just the stock bar end.

Tank's off and I'm about to have at it with my multi-tester. There's a two-prong connector at the top left of the frame on my r1150r, one wire is green/black and the other wire is gray. Is that where to start?

If I'm reading my Clymer wiring diagram correctly, the green/black wire feeds from a 4 amp fuse to the handgrips. What is the gray wire or am I lost already?

:scratch

Last edited:
Well, I'm back after a failed attempt at troubleshooting but guess what -- both grips are heating up now. The left seems a little warmer than the right but that could be my imagination.

Apparently this has nothing to do with the green/black and gray wire connector I identified in my last post because the grips heated up whether or not it was connected. All I did was separate the connector to determine that and remove/reinsert the fuse to check it. I also poked around at what I thought were the grip wires where they attach to the frame and noticed that the zip ties don't seem too tight.

The only other variable I can think of is that I removed my Throttle Rocker from the right grip. Similar to a Crampbuster, this is a little plastic lever that clamps tightly around the end of the grip and serves as a wrist rest or poor man's cruise control.

Still scratching my head and not feeling too confident about this "fix," but I'll take it and hope it lasts.

sounds like it was a poor connection, either at the lead connection, or at the fuse (fuse is less likely).
you only want zip ties tight enough to keep things in position, nothing more.

My point was to look for what bikerfish suggested(and me)-when this happened to me on the same bike it was not about the heated grip it was the wire that makes the bike go zoom zoom!!! The kill switch wire is in there too! They're all in the same spot headed to the switch/grip area. I'd remove the black outer cover & look for a pinch on any wire in that small bunch. Get rid of most of the cable ties there. A "pinched wire" can also be called a short that closes & opens when you mess with it/handle it.

Got it and that's why I'm not too confident about this "fix." thanks for the suggestion, I'll continue to probe before I put the tank back on...

Back