• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Motorcycle security on a trip?

My $0.02 is that the motorcycle thieves are not looking for BMWs! However, it never hurts to be careful. I have never had a bike stolen, and have never used anything more that the steering lock.

I now have to go to meetings in Sacramento, and the area of town is not the best. So I have found a hotel that has a locked motorcycle cage in the covered parking area. They also have video cameras in the parking garage. Thus, I will be staying there every trip.

I take simple precautions. I park in a lighted area. I stay at a good hotel. I use the alarm that came with the RT. That's it. If they want to steal my bike, I'll use the insurance and buy another. I've never had a problem in 30 years.

Here's a funny story:

My buddy had some "heavy duty" cable lock he used on his bike. He lost the key on a trip! (I recommend a combination lock if you use one). I pulled out my little wire cutters, and I mean little (a 4 inch set), and it took me about 25 minutes to cut all the cables and I ruined the wire cutters permanently. But I cut it. That tells me a purpose driven thief with proper cutters will get the bike. Heck, I could carry an oxy torch in my truck and cut anything in about 2 minutes.

My point is that locks and cables will stop casual theft, but not a thief who is prepared and out on the prowl, intent on stealing.

I love the advice to park next to a Harley or sport bike!

Years ago I parked my Honda 750 Four in an alley in Chinatown in Philly while taking in lunch across the street. Halfway through my meal I walked to the window in this restaurant to check on it only to see this guy giving a suspicious wave to his accomplice in a van. As the van backed up to my bike I ran out of the restaurant and yelled at them. The spotter jumped in the van and they burned rubber. I guess my tale supports others who have suggested not leaving the bike alone in a suspicious area.

I have a screamer cable lock that I use to cable lock mm gear to the bike, have a nice big cheapy cover (black) to cover it all up.

Seems like out of sight has been working so far.

I'm not in the insurance biz but I'd bet if you had access to m-c theft records you'd find than "touring" bikes in general are stolen very infrequently. That would include most BMWs, tho not the s1000RR. It also includes things like the ST1300, FJR and C14. A CBR600R or a 250 dirt bike would be prime pickin's. Professionals steal what can be re-sold as parts, or frequently these days, off-shore. That requires high demand. You can't stop the pro if he really wants the bike. Amateurs are joy-riders who will ride the wheels off the bike until it runs out of gas, and they aren't interested in an R1150RT or F650. And you can probably stop an amateur anyway.

At a motel, lock the forks and cover the bike. It won't be covered in dew when you go out in the morning that way. At a restaurant, park where it's in view or close to the door. If you can't sleep or enjoy your meal that way, get a disc lock but tie a strap to it that you can hook over the handlebars so you won't ride off with the lock in place (embarrassing and expensive)

As Bobby McFerrin said: "Don't worry. Be happy" This is supposed to be fun!

pete

I'm not sayin, but there's always.. .. . :whistle

DSC00321_zps0350d6cb.jpg

I've been across-continent quite a few times in the last decade and I simply lock the forks and for overnight stops I add a cover. Liker many have said, just use common sense -- and gut instincts -- as to where to stop and where to spend the night. I usually try to park out front of my motel/hotel where I can see the bike from my room, or I ask to park it under the overhang near the front doors. For meal/rest stops, I park where I can see the bike from inside (I do not remove my GPS, except for overnight stops).

The only thing I use and it's pretty rare that I even use it, is a Xena disc alarm lock.

Do not bother putting it on the front disc unless you have no option. It's too easy to remove and jury rig a front tire in place. The rear tire is a bit harder to work with. Guy back home had his FZ1 stolen. They removed the front wheel used a piece of allthread and a car spare donut spare tire and a few big washers and nuts and rolled the bike away.

Honestly the best defense is to have good insurance cause if someone wants your bike they are going to get it.

I ride a GSA1200 today most of the time, BUT have a R100/7 with 388000m sitting alongside it in my garage:). Many happy smiles and miles. The GSA is so ugly most say, who would steal it? Its tall too, so nobody can even sit it without falling off. My key even stays in my ignition half the time or more when I am nearby eating, etc.. All my travels, I have carried the Python Cable Lock and used it to lock my helmet/riding gear to bike when absent. Never have locked my bike to a post or other bike and always take good notice where I leave the bike and the general safe feeling of the locale. You feel a need, use a lock, never hurts and they are easy to pack along. The bigger cable locks are much harder to cut through than a chain, so go cables:). Even my giant size lock/chain buster won't cut through the bigger cables without a hassle. Takes a lot of effort to cut the cables. Randy

Cables? When our twins were at U of KY I sent them with nice bicycles & best cables-gone in a wink! I next sent them with sorta average but decent & rideable bikes and new other brand cables-gone in a wink! Next was junker bikes that you could ride and short heavier than you like to carry around chains-gone too! 6 in total and these went from the dorm bike racks. If they want it they'll get it.I worked in prison & juvy & am confident in the abilities of many to steal your MC-if they want it.
I do the motel thing per above in US. Being in front of your room will not stop them at all unless you are posting a guard all night. Ask me how I know this. I only take cables/locks (monster cables from Lowes) when going below the border and even then I almost never end up using them as only dumb people leave there bike outside or unguarded down there at night.

Pic of room with bike in it

DSC00321_zps0350d6cb.jpg
===========

Hard to do with a boxer OR if you are not on ground level! hehehe

I have actually had the desk attendant tell me that NO ONE was permitted to take their bike in their room!!

By the way, the pic shows the bike in the room. Which one of you gets the bed?

Park in gear in a well-lit area, put a Kryptonite disc lock on the front wheel with reminder cable to the clutch grip, and then cover the bike after locking the fork and keeping the key with you.

99% of thefts are opportunistic and rely on minimum fuss and time. Make it even a little 'inconvenient' and you discourage most thieves.

Enjoy a good night's slumber and keep your life both safe and simple! :thumb

Cutting a Cable

I agree bolt type cutters do not work well on cables, however a 4" cut off wheel in a battery powered drill will make short work of your cable. Plus a battery powered drill makes little noise. I cover my RT just for the sake of out of sight out of mind, so far so good.

Well, I have been riding for over 45 years, parked my bikes every kind of place. Taking a few common sense precautions on parking spot selections, like the ones that have been mention here, I have had no trouble. I have camped and traveled and been with hundreds of other riders, never known one to get his scoot stolen while touring.

I have had more problems from critters than I ever have had with people. I was more lucky than my buddy when on a tour in about 1975; my bike is in the background and got left alone by the raccoons this time.
i-Gc5gPpK-M.jpg

DSC00321_zps0350d6cb.jpg

Ha! Always the best security. Rode my '76 Honda XL350 Enduro cross country (FL to TX) in 1977 (with stock knobbies), making sure it was tucked in the motel room each night with me. Helpful tip: Always let it cool down BEFORE you bring it in the room. Otherwise you're sleeping with hot engine/gas fume remnants the rest of the night LOL.

...Always let it cool down BEFORE you bring it in the room. Otherwise you're sleeping with hot engine/gas fume remnants the rest of the night LOL.

I usually room with my buddy and his fume remnants are far worse than that of an engine!

My son and I are planning a trip in May (each on our own separate motorcycle - I have an R100/7 and son has a K100RS).

My question is this. How do all of you make sure that your motorcycles are not stolen - like at motels or when you have to leave them in a public parking lot while you go do or see something?

I was thinking of a cable-type strap (like what bicyclists use, but much heavier duty) and run through one or both of the wheels and around center stand so that it can not be folded back up - making the bikes hard to drag or roll.

What do all of you use?

Thanks in advance!
Who would want to steal a BMW anyways,most people don't know what they are??!!
OR the're to ugly to steal! The're brittish are'nt they anyways?
I've never ever taken the keys out of my ignition at any bmw rally ever FWIW

Last edited:
I simply avoid stopping/staying places where I believe my motorcycle is at risk of theft.

Sure, it can happen anywhere but some places the risk is large and other places the risk is miniscule. I prefer the latter.

Back