• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Texting Trooper

LngRdr

Mike
Last week I was riding my RT in OKC when an OK OHP car pulled up next to me in the left lane. He stayed right with me for about a mile so I glanced over at him only to find him steering with his knees and texting on a cell phone with both hands. I did get his unit number and sent it to the HQ office that resulted in a reply that they "would notify the appropriate personnel" whatever that means.
I'm taking the OHP safe motorcycling course next month, I bet it doesn't cover how to steer with my knees and text. I'm all for LE officers and think they have a tough job with not enough pay but it's pretty disheartening dodging texters all day as it is, not to mention them doing it too.

Last week I was riding my RT in OKC when an OK OHP car pulled up next to me in the left lane. He stayed right with me for about a mile so I glanced over at him only to find him steering with his knees and texting on a cell phone with both hands. I did get his unit number and sent it to the HQ office that resulted in a reply that they "would notify the appropriate personnel" whatever that means.
I'm taking the OHP safe motorcycling course next month, I bet it doesn't cover how to steer with my knees and text. I'm all for LE officers and think they have a tough job with not enough pay but it's pretty disheartening dodging texters all day as it is, not to mention them doing it too.

No defending or excusing that type of behavior. Not exactly the role model he should have been.

You were right to be annoyed, and took appropriate action.

Let's hope word got back to him, and he thinks twice before doing that again. :banghead

Here in Georgia there is an exception for "on duty" public safety personnel for doing so for "public safety or law enforcement reasons". I'm not saying that's what happened and is probably highly unlikely it was anyway. :brow The large agency I retired from was pretty stingy with cell phones for all except command level officers so that ruled out that exception for most of our personnel.

Hope they don't tell the trooper your name. You may go up on their "VIP Board" and one day another one, of course not him, will hand you a couple of 5"x9"s!

I have seen several LEO's in my local with laptops attached just to the right of the steering wheel, typing away while driving.

Ken

I have seen several LEO's in my local with laptops attached just to the right of the steering wheel, typing away while driving.

Ken

FWIW, all of the units in my home town have laptops mounted in the cars. Never have seen any of them typing and driving though.

Their calls to respond to and other info is now increasingly sent via the computer and not the radio. Mostly they will only need to hit one key (sorta like F2) to acknowledge they received and are responding. One more key when they arrive. Other typing is generally not necessary while they are moving. Even so, they are exempt from the state's ban on texting while driving.

Back