• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Low Fly Bys

One of the most sad (IMO) impacts of sequestration is the fact the Blue Angels are being grounded for many of their shows this year -- including the Fargo Air Sho. (sic) my house is on the final approach to Hector International and each time the Blues are in town we get one great low-level display. Can damn near see the Ray Bans they are wearing. We take the pictures off the wall that week, but thoroughly enjoy the display.

Same thing here with the Air Force Academy. No Thunderbird flyby at this year's graduation due to the sequestration. This flyby has been a staple at every AFA graduation since the Academy was established, sad.

Aside from that flyby's at AFA football games are a hoot. I can remember a time when a B-52 flew so low that the cameramen standing on scaffolding ducked their heads.

A coworker who also happens to be a bow hunter told me of a time in was deep in the CO mountains many miles from the nearest dirt road and got surprised by a training flight of A10's. He wasn't happy because it not only surprised the hell out of him but also most of the wildlife in the area.

Back in the early 70s, I used to ride my R69S from Tempe to Gilbert AZ. During certain times of the year, the crop dusters would be working, and we would "fly" together for a mile or two. It was a trip when they would fly under power lines. After many "rides" together, they would often wave to me as they went on their way. It was very cool.

Back