• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New member saying hello

matchless1227

Hi folks,
My real first name is Mitchell and I live in Connecticut. I have been riding for many years but today I bought my first BMW bike. Being a little older (not wiser) and not a physically large man I opted for an F800GT.
Will not pick it up until next week so I do not have a ride report except to say on a very short demo ride (it is freezing up here) it felt great.
I would welcome any sage BMW advice about the bike in particular or BMW wisdom in general.
I am 63, married forever with two grown sons.
Thanks for listening,
Mitchell

Hi Mitchell...welcome to the BMW world.

I trust you will enjoy your new bike. I'm on my 5th BMW and have enjoyed them all.

Although we have 4 inches more snow predicted for Sunday morning here in Ohio, I know spring is on the way!

George

hello

:wave
Hi folks,
My real first name is Mitchell and I live in Connecticut. I have been riding for many years but today I bought my first BMW bike. Being a little older (not wiser) and not a physically large man I opted for an F800GT.
Will not pick it up until next week so I do not have a ride report except to say on a very short demo ride (it is freezing up here) it felt great.
I would welcome any sage BMW advice about the bike in particular or BMW wisdom in general.
I am 63, married forever with two grown sons.
Thanks for listening,
Mitchell

:waveWelcome to the club. I own a F800st, if you have ??? about the GT let me know. I am 4 year younger than you ,on my 3rd BMW. 750 /6, 1150R, & F800ST. WELCOME:):wave Plus honda 160 , 550, two yamaha RD350 and a kaw 175 F6

Congratulations on the new bike and...

Welcome to the forum!

I bought my first BMW, '12 RT, back in May and couldn't be happier with the brand.

Aloha.

Scot

Thanks

:waveWelcome to the club. I own a F800st, if you have ??? about the GT let me know. I am 4 year younger than you ,on my 3rd BMW. 750 /6, 1150R, & F800ST. WELCOME:):wave Plus honda 160 , 550, two yamaha RD350 and a kaw 175 F6

Appreciate the reply
My very first bike after returning home from military service was an RD350
As I recall it was a 1972 and fast as heck
Fond memories.
M

Them pesky RDs:)

I "raced" for Yamaha back in the '69-'72 era in their M/X division of the day:). The RD350 brings back memories for me too, never owning one, but they had enough grit to beat all my XS650s of the day! Those pesky 2 strokes had speed. We smiled. Enough BMWs('72 to now) in my past now to not count 'em all, so WELCOME aboard and enjoy the new 800, from CA.. I am a transplant here from the East(Virginia) and enjoy our year round riding here in the West. See ya in Salem for the MOA Rally:). Please ride out here this July, you've certainly got the right bike for it:). Randy

Welcome Mitchell. Was just up riding around North Greenwich and Greenwich just yesterday from my home in Westchester. I'm only 13 miles from Ct. but somehow squeezed a 50 mile round-trip around and through the countryside. Beautiful day. Snow tomorrow.
What town are your from? I have family in Stamford.

mike wex
'96r1100rt

Welcome, Mitchell!

There is a ton of wisdom to be found here on the forum and I think it can keep you amused until your winter finally melts off!

F800gt

Hi Eugene,
Tomorrow I pick up my new GT and since I have ordered it I have been reading forum posts. Most of the forum posts are negative ie;
No power?
Vibrates?
No wind protection?
Lousy ergos?
Sounds like a sewing machine?
Anyway I am getting worried that I made a poor choice.
I would like your opinion.
Thanks,
Mitchell

Welcome to the forum :)

Everyone here has an opinion so I am sure you will get some - I have been looking at the F800GT as a replacement for my wife who has some some hip troubles now and would like to downsize from her R1200RT. I am looking forward to your posts once you get a chance to ride a bit. For my part, I have booked a demo ride at dealership in Edmonton (180 miles from where I live) in May and although it will be a fairly short ride, I hope to learn a little. Have fun and stay safe.

Ken.

Memories

I "raced" for Yamaha back in the '69-'72 era in their M/X division of the day:). The RD350 brings back memories for me too, never owning one, but they had enough grit to beat all my XS650s of the day! Those pesky 2 strokes had speed. We smiled. Enough BMWs('72 to now) in my past now to not count 'em all, so WELCOME aboard and enjoy the new 800, from CA.. I am a transplant here from the East(Virginia) and enjoy our year round riding here in the West. See ya in Salem for the MOA Rally:). Please ride out here this July, you've certainly got the right bike for it:). Randy

Thanks Randy,
Kids today on sport bikes laugh at me when I tell them my first bike was a 350 2 stroke.
They just cannot believe how quick it was.
At that time I lived in NYC and on the street nothing beat that Yamaha.

Welcome to the forum :)

Everyone here has an opinion so I am sure you will get some - I have been looking at the F800GT as a replacement for my wife who has some some hip troubles now and would like to downsize from her R1200RT. I am looking forward to your posts once you get a chance to ride a bit. For my part, I have booked a demo ride at dealership in Edmonton (180 miles from where I live) in May and although it will be a fairly short ride, I hope to learn a little. Have fun and stay safe.

Ken.

Thanks Ken
I pick the bike up tomorrow and I hope I can give it rave reviews.
M

Thanks Randy,
Kids today on sport bikes laugh at me when I tell them my first bike was a 350 2 stroke.
They just cannot believe how quick it was.
At that time I lived in NYC and on the street nothing beat that Yamaha.

Yes, the 350 won the 1972 Daytona beating all the 750's AND H-D. GIANT KING was it's nick name. :):wave:wave Then Kaw. triples 500 & 750 but only in a straight line.

Hi mike

Welcome Mitchell. Was just up riding around North Greenwich and Greenwich just yesterday from my home in Westchester. I'm only 13 miles from Ct. but somehow squeezed a 50 mile round-trip around and through the countryside. Beautiful day. Snow tomorrow.
What town are your from? I have family in Stamford.

mike wex
'96r1100rt

I live right outside Waterbury about 40 miles from Stamford. I also have a place on the UWS of Manhattan so I travel right past your town regularly when going down that Hutch.
Perhaps we can meet for a ride one day?
mm

Rd350

Thanks for the reply and the memories, yes that was a fun bike especially for a 22 year old!
I will do my best to get time off this summer to make that trip to Salem Randy.
Mitchell

:brow:waveLet us know about the GT. I sent you a PM . Did you get it? The forum was down for two weeks. I will be in Salem at the rally.:wave:wave

Back