Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26

Thread: New member saying hello

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    16

    New member saying hello

    Hi folks,
    My real first name is Mitchell and I live in Connecticut. I have been riding for many years but today I bought my first BMW bike. Being a little older (not wiser) and not a physically large man I opted for an F800GT.
    Will not pick it up until next week so I do not have a ride report except to say on a very short demo ride (it is freezing up here) it felt great.
    I would welcome any sage BMW advice about the bike in particular or BMW wisdom in general.
    I am 63, married forever with two grown sons.
    Thanks for listening,
    Mitchell

  2. #2
    George K1200RS GeorgeK1200RS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    250
    Hi Mitchell...welcome to the BMW world.

    I trust you will enjoy your new bike. I'm on my 5th BMW and have enjoyed them all.

    Although we have 4 inches more snow predicted for Sunday morning here in Ohio, I know spring is on the way!

    George
    George
    R1200RT, K1200RS. Previous K1200LT, R80RT, R100R, R75/5

  3. #3
    Registered User argent brick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Wine Country, Northern California
    Posts
    461
    Hi, greetings from the west coast.
    Lynn
    MOA #57883
    Current Ride: 1995 K75 Standard
    Past: 1978 Yamaha XS 750, 1976 BMW R60/6

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    vancouver ,wa
    Posts
    111

    Smile hello

    Quote Originally Posted by Matchless1227 View Post
    Hi folks,
    My real first name is Mitchell and I live in Connecticut. I have been riding for many years but today I bought my first BMW bike. Being a little older (not wiser) and not a physically large man I opted for an F800GT.
    Will not pick it up until next week so I do not have a ride report except to say on a very short demo ride (it is freezing up here) it felt great.
    I would welcome any sage BMW advice about the bike in particular or BMW wisdom in general.
    I am 63, married forever with two grown sons.
    Thanks for listening,
    Mitchell
    Welcome to the club. I own a F800st, if you have ??? about the GT let me know. I am 4 year younger than you ,on my 3rd BMW. 750 /6, 1150R, & F800ST. WELCOME Plus honda 160 , 550, two yamaha RD350 and a kaw 175 F6

  5. #5
    Registered User liv2ride's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    213

    Congratulations on the new bike and...

    Welcome to the forum!

    I bought my first BMW, '12 RT, back in May and couldn't be happier with the brand.

    Aloha.

    Scot

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    16

    Thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by eugene View Post


    Welcome to the club. I own a F800st, if you have ??? about the GT let me know. I am 4 year younger than you ,on my 3rd BMW. 750 /6, 1150R, & F800ST. WELCOME Plus honda 160 , 550, two yamaha RD350 and a kaw 175 F6
    Appreciate the reply
    My very first bike after returning home from military service was an RD350
    As I recall it was a 1972 and fast as heck
    Fond memories.
    M

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    vancouver ,wa
    Posts
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchless1227 View Post
    Appreciate the reply
    My very first bike after returning home from military service was an RD350
    As I recall it was a 1972 and fast as heck
    Fond memories.
    M
    Oh yes, the orange/ black 1972 RD350. I once beat a Norton 750 with that bike.

  8. #8
    That road looks good! Norwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    From NW AL to WNC
    Posts
    252
    Welcome abroad the forum....
    MOA Ambassador, Member of AL, GA and Chattanooga Clubs, MTF Gold member and BOD.
    2011 R1200 GSA (My Radio Flyer) 75 R90/6 with Velorex sidecar
    My annual charity event: http://www.echbenefit.smugmug.com/
    " Oh Lord I pray, Let me live long enough to do everything they say I've done"

  9. #9
    Registered User carmyvan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Laval, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    9
    Welcome from Montreal, Quebec. You'll enjoy your BMW.

  10. #10
    Polarbear Polarbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Clovis,CA
    Posts
    4,214

    Them pesky RDs:)

    I "raced" for Yamaha back in the '69-'72 era in their M/X division of the day. The RD350 brings back memories for me too, never owning one, but they had enough grit to beat all my XS650s of the day! Those pesky 2 strokes had speed. We smiled. Enough BMWs('72 to now) in my past now to not count 'em all, so WELCOME aboard and enjoy the new 800, from CA.. I am a transplant here from the East(Virginia) and enjoy our year round riding here in the West. See ya in Salem for the MOA Rally. Please ride out here this July, you've certainly got the right bike for it. Randy

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    New Rochelle, New York
    Posts
    147

    New member saying hello

    Welcome Mitchell. Was just up riding around North Greenwich and Greenwich just yesterday from my home in Westchester. I'm only 13 miles from Ct. but somehow squeezed a 50 mile round-trip around and through the countryside. Beautiful day. Snow tomorrow.
    What town are your from? I have family in Stamford.

    mike wex
    '96r1100rt

  12. #12
    Novice Adventurer Newstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Landenberg, PA
    Posts
    2,690
    Welcome, Mitchell!

    There is a ton of wisdom to be found here on the forum and I think it can keep you amused until your winter finally melts off!

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    16

    F800gt

    Quote Originally Posted by eugene View Post


    Welcome to the club. I own a F800st, if you have ??? about the GT let me know. I am 4 year younger than you ,on my 3rd BMW. 750 /6, 1150R, & F800ST. WELCOME Plus honda 160 , 550, two yamaha RD350 and a kaw 175 F6
    Hi Eugene,
    Tomorrow I pick up my new GT and since I have ordered it I have been reading forum posts. Most of the forum posts are negative ie;
    No power?
    Vibrates?
    No wind protection?
    Lousy ergos?
    Sounds like a sewing machine?
    Anyway I am getting worried that I made a poor choice.
    I would like your opinion.
    Thanks,
    Mitchell

  14. #14
    Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Calgary AB
    Posts
    903
    Welcome to the forum

    Everyone here has an opinion so I am sure you will get some - I have been looking at the F800GT as a replacement for my wife who has some some hip troubles now and would like to downsize from her R1200RT. I am looking forward to your posts once you get a chance to ride a bit. For my part, I have booked a demo ride at dealership in Edmonton (180 miles from where I live) in May and although it will be a fairly short ride, I hope to learn a little. Have fun and stay safe.

    Ken.
    Ken
    [2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blue) - Mine]
    [2007 R1200RT (Sand Biege) - Hers]

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    16

    Memories

    Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    I "raced" for Yamaha back in the '69-'72 era in their M/X division of the day. The RD350 brings back memories for me too, never owning one, but they had enough grit to beat all my XS650s of the day! Those pesky 2 strokes had speed. We smiled. Enough BMWs('72 to now) in my past now to not count 'em all, so WELCOME aboard and enjoy the new 800, from CA.. I am a transplant here from the East(Virginia) and enjoy our year round riding here in the West. See ya in Salem for the MOA Rally. Please ride out here this July, you've certainly got the right bike for it. Randy
    Thanks Randy,
    Kids today on sport bikes laugh at me when I tell them my first bike was a 350 2 stroke.
    They just cannot believe how quick it was.
    At that time I lived in NYC and on the street nothing beat that Yamaha.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •