• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Windshield Care

Use Lemon Pledge. You get about the same results for a far cheaper price. Be sure it is Lemon.

Same here.

I bought a can of Plexus once. It is good, but it isn't anything special, and certainly not at that price.

I use professional ultra-fine polish and my buffer when it comes time to turn my windshield into a new one again.

I'm also a fan of plexus for cleaning my windshield when on the road. It comes in small, convenient bottles.
I had never tried it on my helmet visor, but after reading about these comments, I 'm going to try it.
Rob.

Same here.

I bought a can of Plexus once. It is good, but it isn't anything special, and certainly not at that price.

I use professional ultra-fine polish and my buffer when it comes time to turn my windshield into a new one again.

I've sampled some 'backyard brews' when it comes to cleaners, but always went back to Plexus. Now, it's all I buy.

Price can be very appealing from a volume dealer, as the quantities they order are often reflected in the cost to you.

Just got back from 4 days of riding around the scenic mountains of Colorado with my son, including making it up past the timeberline to 12,600 ft. on Pike's Peak before snow and high winds made for a prudent decision to turn back. Stopped in at a MEGA-dealer just south of Denver on Arapahoe Road - by mega I mean 350+ NEW motorcycles on display - kid you not. Had to get my son's rear tire replaced (ran over something at 75 MPH on I-25 - pretty rapid deflation - he got over to the shoulder safely though - I plugged the leak but he opted for a new tire - got a PR III - nice rubber!) at this Honda/Ducati/KTM/Kawasaki dealer - Fay something?

Plexus and the protective chemical '303' are both usually expensive items at smaller businesses. Not here - both cheap - he stocked up.

Since I flew out there (rented from Denver EagleRider), I opted not to buy Plexus in bulk, as I didn't want to piss off the TSA. They were already annoyed in Milwaukee by my helmet bag - searched twice - told it resembled a pressure cooker in dimension - really - really?!).

Try to buy Plexus at big motorcycle dealers - price could be better. Home-made concoctions not in the same league - just frugal imitations unlikely to show up at the US Patent Office. :deal

Lemon Pledge isn't exactly "home made".

I've used both and the difference isn't worth talking about...if there even is one.

Glad the Pledge works for you. Not 'dissing' your choice.

Just wanted to inform that Plexus can be had for a lot less than normally charged, if you can find a big enough dealer.

May our shields be forever clear and the wind always at our back! :bikes

Glad the Pledge works for you. Not 'dissing' your choice.

What these products like Lemon Pledge are good for is creating a barrier so that at the end of the day, bugs can easily be wiped off of the windshield in a single pass of a damp micro-fiber cloth.

That alone greatly reduces the chance of scratching the windshield over time.

Hey, I can use the bolt text feature as well. ;)

What about "Dollar Store" "pledge like" products? Or the newer non-aerosol (real) Pledge? perhaps a new thread?:blah:lurk:blah

This thread again reminds me of the line
"The cheapest thing on a BMW is the rider."

WATER, plenty of water, massaged in gently with the palm of my hand (clock-wise circles only).

I'm also a fan of plexus for cleaning my windshield when on the road. It comes in small, convenient bottles.
I had never tried it on my helmet visor, but after reading about these comments, I 'm going to try it.
Rob.
And it works on the screen protector on the IPhone. OM

Just think of all the money we could save using regular gas....but that's another topic.

OK - slow day here in Wisconsin, so I'll 'take the bait.'

Given that the BMW is designed from the ground up to run best on premium-grade fuel, what is the engineering logic behind your comment? :scratch

Given that the BMW is designed from the ground up to run best on premium-grade fuel, what is the engineering logic behind your comment? :scratch

Which BMW? The one I just sold ('05 GS) had a BMW factory installed sticker on the fuel lid specifying mid-grade.

For windshields I've used water, water/alcohol mix, plexus, a spray cleaner/polish, All Kleer, and various Meguiar's products. All of them work. Some of them are easier to use than others.

OK - slow day here in Wisconsin, so I'll 'take the bait.'

That comment was made in jest. Didn't mean to hi-jack the topic. There was a recent thread on the Bimmerfest Forum about using non-premium fuel in BMW cars. It was very entertaining to see how passionate some people are about what gas, or for that matter, anything else they use. The thread went on forever and many leveled personal attacks on others. Glad it's not like that on this forum. If someone wants to use water and their hands to clean a windshield that's fine with me.

Novus

I use Novus. Amazon has large jugs of it for the frugal. I keep my first small bottle (refillable) and Microfiber rags in my touring case. Remove the paper label from the MF rags...They are abrasive as hell, I learned.

Which BMW? The one I just sold ('05 GS) had a BMW factory installed sticker on the fuel lid specifying mid-grade.

For windshields I've used water, water/alcohol mix, plexus, a spray cleaner/polish, All Kleer, and various Meguiar's products. All of them work. Some of them are easier to use than others.

My '05 R1200RT specified premium.

That's all I ever fed it.:deal

I use Meguires Mirror Glaze. It is the worlds most popular aircraft window cleaner in the industry, available at any pilot supply shop for $10 a bottle. If it is good enough for $200,000 airplane.... Besides, it reminds me of my flying days.

Back