• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Windshield Care

ralwhite

Shortly after I bought my bike I realized that I needed something to clean the windshield. I had seen various sprays and cleaners at the bike shop and questioned why Plexus was so expensive...$25 for a 13 oz. can. Their response was "It's good stuff". After using it for a season I think that was an understatement as I think it's GREAT stuff. Does a wonderful job cleaning protecting and removing static. I use it sparingly but on an almost daily basis and I still have half the can left. Just passing along my experience. :wave

Use Lemon Pledge. You get about the same results for a far cheaper price. Be sure it is Lemon.

I use Plexus as well and wouldn't think of using anything else. I use it to wipe bugs off the face shield after every ride and they still look like new when time comes to replace the helmet.

Shortly after I bought my bike I realized that I needed something to clean the windshield. I had seen various sprays and cleaners at the bike shop and questioned why Plexus was so expensive...$25 for a 13 oz. can. Their response was "It's good stuff". After using it for a season I think that was an understatement as I think it's GREAT stuff. Does a wonderful job cleaning protecting and removing static. I use it sparingly but on an almost daily basis and I still have half the can left. Just passing along my experience. :wave

+1 :thumb

Only stuff that will ever touch my faceshields and windshields!

Another opinion

The least expensive and from my point of view the best: 50/50 water and hydrogen peroxide from a small spray bottle (about 6 oz) that packs neatly. Hydrogen peroxide attacks the protein which essentially bugs are, and almost dissolves them immediately. Wipe off with a soft cloth and you're good to go.
I also spray the front cowl and front of side cases if they are bugged up.

I've used the Plexus, hydro peroxide and Lemon Pledge.

I carry the Plexus because I cannot find a travel sized can of Pledge. Lemon Pledge is the only thing we use on the aircraft plexi.

$$ vs., old school:)

Plexus is an overpriced gimmick and ya'll can buy it if you have $$ to waste, imo! Its a fine product in a fine package alright, just you've bought an advertising/tall story. I use a very soft diaper with hot water when available. Lemon Pledge is so OLD an idea, I am shocked everyone has not heard this one already and its a FINE solution for windscreens, eye glasses, etc., found everywhere we shop:). I too a pilot. Another a favorite of mine is "Honda Cleaner/Wax" in a spray can is equal to ALL the high priced options, hands down. 5$ usually buys the Honda product. I am not such a frugal spender, just know what works with age and years behind me. I have had(still have) friends my equal still buying all the pricey Plexus and the like, I just smile:). I'll buy lunch and shine for the same $$$ spent. Randy

Plexus

I to use Plexus. Never ever have I used anything that cleaned and polished as well as it does. Yes it is expensive, buy then again, so are BMW's

Dennis

09 R1200RT
95 K75

I'm a fan for both products. I use the Plexus on clear plastic- helmet, glasses, clear shields as a little extra cleans off easily. The Pledge works great on the cases/plastic on the motorcycle or to give an already clean vehicle, a quick detail touch-up. OM

As far as the windscreen goes, I just wash it with car soap and water when I wash the bike. (I'm not looking through THOSE bugs!)

The faceshield I've polished with "Nu Finish," a car cleaner/protectant. On the road, I've just used plain water in a spray bottle with a couple drops of car soap. Then remove bugs with an old handkerchief.

Sounds like the 50/50 water - hydrogen peroxide might be better, ie. quicker. Must give that a try unless the hydrogen peroxide over time does something bad to the faceshield. Comment?

Hydrogen peroxide works to dissolve bugs because it's a strong oxidizer. I'd be careful getting it on anything else that it will react with. I would think that using any cloth material, like an old handkerchief, over time will result in leaving micro scratches in plastic that will reduce its clarity just the same as it will with car finishes. I never use anything other than micro-fiber towels on any surface of my bike and car. But then again, I have to admit I'm a little anal when it comes to my vehicles.

As far as the windscreen goes, I just wash it with car soap and water when I wash the bike. (I'm not looking through THOSE bugs!)

The faceshield I've polished with "Nu Finish," a car cleaner/protectant. On the road, I've just used plain water in a spray bottle with a couple drops of car soap. Then remove bugs with an old handkerchief.

Sounds like the 50/50 water - hydrogen peroxide might be better, ie. quicker. Must give that a try unless the hydrogen peroxide over time does something bad to the faceshield. Comment?

I've only ever used water and a soft cloth on my windscreens and helmet visors. Cheap and available pretty much everywhere.

I agree water and a microfiber towel is fine for the removal of bugs from my windshield, fairing, and other parts. Simple Green works on oil and other stubborn stains.
Mark

Lemon pledge, works great on windshields, so does a damp micro fiber towel
Helmet visors, water and some very mild liquid soap, using your hand as a scrub brush
Micro fiber towels to dry both
C Baileys makes a super rain repellant for motorcycle wind shields and have used it on the outside of my helmet visor also with no ill affects for those liquid days

Aircraft Spruce lists 62 different products for aircraft plastic windows. Nothing smashes bugs like a single engine airplane.:laugh

Winshield Care

Plexus kept my 85 RT windshield looking new for the 24 years I owned it. I still use it on my 07 GT (Aeroflow) with the same results. I have found that the yellow Kiwi shoe polish cloths work the best for the plastic bits and on my guitars (must be the military brat in me!). I keep things for a long time and my 64 Gibson guitar still looks great (bought it used in 69), apart from the fret wear.
I always take 3 cloths with me when touring and will soak 1 cloth with water and leave on the windshield (bike, headlight and helmet) to loosen the bugs, let dry, then apply the Plexus (Gibson, or Martin guitar polish on the guitars!) with the 2nd and polish up with the 3rd. Works for me and the can lasts for more than a season. I have also found loose windshield bolts a few times while cleaning, saving me some aggravation. Any polish, or cleaner is better than none, so whatever works for you is great too.

bugs are back...

Dad and brother used Pledge. I used Pledge, then Plexus after a magazine review, then the price went thru the roof. Now I use Honda spray and www.calsci.com home made stuff. :thumb

Calsci for the bugs (they are already out in great numbers here in VA!) on the clear plastic. Honda spray on the painted surfaces.

When on a trip, I only carry the one spray bottle of Calsci juice.

Careful about using the Calsci juice on polycarbonite windshields as it contains ammonia. Calsci's windscreens are made from acrylic which is not sensitive to ammonia.

What about using a home-mix of water and rubbing alcohol? I've used that on my car windshields for several years with great results, and have used it periodlically on my motorcycle screen as well.

But...after reading this, I'm wondering if anyone knows of any potential issues with 90% rubbing alcohol (diluted approx 5:1)harming the polycarb windscreens?

Back