• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Bmw abs class action

2005 RT with over 100,000 miles on it.... no ABS problems

From page 3 of the web page...

"Early problems include brake lines, rotors, and electrical. As these bikes age the problems will quickly escalate and are very dangerous. BMW must be held responsible."

As anything mechanical ages, the incidents of breakdowns always increases. If you've properly maintained your (...insert whatever here...) the incidents of breakdowns will be less, but older equipment always needs more attention to keep it in the best working order.

Last edited:
Maybe you would have a different feeling about it if the servo modulator failed after warranty is up and they quoted you over $3,000 installed.... $2,300 + just for the part!!

Maybe you would have a different feeling about it if the servo modulator failed after warranty is up and they quoted you over $3,000 installed.... $2,300 + just for the part!!

My servo modualtor did fail early (perhaps in my original post I should have said ..no systemic ABS problems).

According to the Shop supervisor where I had it replaced, the modulator on average should last around 75,000 miles. But that's the thing about averages; to compute an average, you will have some fail early and some last well beyond expected service life. If you're familiar with bell curves, there are always extremes at both ends. Unfortunately my original turned out to be out towards the extreme end on the early failure side. My new(current) modulator appears now to be further out to the end of the longevity side of the bell curve.

I stand by my original assertions -- aging equipment requires more maintainance and responsibility for properly maintaining aging equipment rests with the owner.

Just reenforces my opinion, 99.99% of lawyers give the rest of them a bad name.

As the line in the Eagles song goes ... "Kill all the lawyers, kill 'em now"

Great, now I'll probably have this post computer-detected for using a buzz word. It will be forwarded to some governmental bureaucrat sitting in a stuffy office wearing a too-tight tie choking him, who in his zombie-muddled cerebral state decides I have somehow made a threat. I will then get a visit from squinty-eyed enforcers of societal blame, looking to justify their existence by investigating alleged incidences of non-conforming behavior.

(DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT SUGGESTING ANY SUCH THING!) (think that will help?)

Back in the day when I was a owner operator the injection pump failed just after warrantie. The replacement with labor was about 9k. I contacted the manufacturer and the reimbursed me about 80% of the part cost. They know that no matter how good their QC and best practices are there will still be random events that will fall outside of their control and predictions. A good company will allow for this and protect their customers from " random" events. They build the unexpected into their profit/loss models.
FWIW....it never hurts to refer any "unusual event" back to the manufacturer. It help them to evaluate their process and to identify issues that are a result of that process.
In the case of the infection pump they figured out that a vendor was suppling a substandard spring that was failing prematurely. The spring was a $3.00 part. It was being anealed improperly making it brittle. It was supposed to have a million mile life cycle. They determined that about 1 in 50 was not processed correctly.

I find it fascinating that they have that level of process control over these highly sophisticated and complex machines that they can isolate a failure to a $3 spring.

The point of all of this is......after living in the FRG for 5 years I know how the Germans view their technology. You can bet the farm the engineers at BMW look at every failure with great interest. They are extremely proud of their process control and do not take premature parts/components/subassembly failures lightly. The process begins with you though. You have to request or if necessary insist that your dealer escalate any issue that seems out of the ordinary otherwise the problem will not show up on the manufacturers radar. It never hurts and you may be surprised by the outcome. I was. :clap

Great, now I'll probably have this post computer-detected for using a buzz word. It will be forwarded to some governmental bureaucrat sitting in a stuffy office wearing a too-tight tie choking him, who in his zombie-muddled cerebral state decides I have somehow made a threat. I will then get a visit from squinty-eyed enforcers of societal blame, looking to justify their existence by investigating alleged incidences of non-conforming behavior.

Too late!

You have to post the disclaimer at the beginning to be PC.
The black helios' are on the way.
Time to just bend over and " Kiss your xxxx goodbye".:banghead

Which part are you disclaiming; the part about the Eagles song or the part about the governmental bureaucrat? After all governmental bureaucrats don't like it when you highlight their existance. They might then have to justify said existance.

:scratch

Without commenting on the merits of a lawsuit...

Have you looked at photos of failed units with jammed brushes? Speaks volumes to poor design practice- at least some of the failures that have happened were very predicatable..

We are accustomed to cages where ABS units rarely die and FDs last the life of the vehicle, most without even a lube change. Guys designing bikes need to meet normal societal expectations for expensive parts, without any excuses....

Personally, I've had no problems with ABS units or FDs on any the 4 BMWs I regularly ride and service..But I just spent some of my own cash putting a decent cam chain tensioner on a K1200GT to make up for the junker fitted originally that allowed enough cam chain slop to make motor startup sound like an exercise in metal grinding....

My 2005 with "whizzy" brakes has never failed. But I would be PISSED at the repair cost if it does. Thankfully, there is a place now that can rebuild them successfully and reasonably.

I just think that BMW should sell replacement parts, for SAFETY, at a reasonable price. Or, have some authorized rebuild shop, etc. $2500 for an ABS module on a bike worth perhaps $8k is not right.

That all being said, my 2005 RT has been a great machine, going on 65k miles and 7 years. Wow, 7 years! Damn, I call this one my "new" bike!

Just reenforces my opinion, 99.99% of lawyers give the rest of them a bad name.

What lawyers? This all goes to a small Inde shop in BC, Canada called SW Adventure Motorsports:
3896688.jpg

As far as I can tell they are not lawyers, there is no Class Action lawsuit, and you can only find out who is behind this by doing a WHOIS on the domain name.

Pays to do a little digging before casting your personal information into the Internet abyss...

So if a part wears out and it's an expensive part, the replacement should be free?

So if a part wears out and it's an expensive part, the replacement should be free?

No not really for free just reasonable or how about this a rebuild kit or some other possibilities??? When a valve or a piston goes in your engine do you have to by a new engine???? Or a gear or bearing in the trans a whole new trans???

/mod-hat-on

Random shots at any profession are not acceptable behavior on the MOA forum. Just so you know.

mod-hat-off/

Back