• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Potential C650GT buyer

danix

New member. Used to own a K75S, then a Hawk GT, then moved to a Vespa GTS250.
Now considering going back to a "real" bike (used R1150RT for example) for my commute, but the C650GT seems to tick the right boxes.
My concerns with buying one:
  • its new and reliability unproven
  • not a "real" BMW engine
  • CVT. I dont mind shifting frankly
  • It may depreciate more than comparable BMW bikes
  • For the same price, I could get a nice used R1200RT
  • No dealers I've checked have demos available

Thoughts?

Please fill in your profile so we know where you live.
If you happen to live near Iowa City, Iowa, Gina's BMW has a demo.
Welcome to the site.

ÔÇóits new and reliability unproven
Someone had to be first, I don't mind being the first, at least with a bike, where it is an alternate source of transportation for me.
ÔÇónot a "real" BMW engine
Bothers me too, a little, but decided "screw it", if it works for BMW it works for me.
ÔÇóCVT. I dont mind shifting frankly
This is how scooters are done, would be kind of tough to do a step-through without it. Although maybe in the past they used to get around it somehow, but CVT's seem to be quite reliable.
ÔÇóIt may depreciate more than comparable BMW bikes
I'm not one who usually lets these things bother me too much, I buy what moves me, not so much of a bean-counter and agonizing over the resale value.
ÔÇóFor the same price, I could get a nice used R1200RT
BUT does it "check all the boxes"?
ÔÇóNo dealers I've checked have demos available
Yes a location would help, I know Mischlers has a demo as well, in Beaver Dam WI, although a bit too cold and icy lately to try it.

Since your asking for thoughts

I think you should get the r1200rt.
* reliability is pretty much proven.
* It's a real BMW engine.
* You can actually change gears.
* Depreciation is pretty much known on most existing models.
* You are right; the scooter ain't cheap.
* Plenty of them around.

Just my thoughts.:stick

DW

Thanks guys. I am in the SF Bay Area.
SJ BMW has demos of the GT. I also found that Dubbleju in SF rents them.

Still on the fence - there are a lot of things I like about a scooter and the C may straddle the line just enough to tick all the boxes.
RT is a strong contender too.

Test rode one today (thanks SJBMW).
Pros:
  • good wind protection
  • comfy seat
  • love the two positions for the feet, definitely will aid with long distance comfort
  • plenty of power and awesome sound
  • handles well
  • hazard switch handy for lanesplitting

Cons:
  • vibrates more than I expected, felt it in the bars and noticed it in the mirrors
  • windshield is not tall enough to direct all the air over me and I'm only 5'10"
  • I keep wondering when it's going to upshift based on the sound
  • horn is super wimpy
  • BMWs are supposed to have left and right turn signal switches, not a central one
  • price
  • black color not in stock

Giving it serious thought.

Wind protection is such a subjective thing. It seems like everyone wants a little extra air on a hot day and nothing on a cold day, plus protection from at least a minor rain storm (some expect protection from a hurricane it seems). And of course it's hard to find a windshield that "duzitall". Hence there are numerous aftermarket BMW (especially) windshield sources all claiming to have "the answer". No one has "the answer". Some do it better than others but none of them are perfect; I think what has never really been done is to design a wind shield that will adapt to the angle change that the bike has available, in other words will give a max amount of air at lower angle and lower speeds, increasing deflection upwards as speed and angle increase. But of course different rider heights come in to play then too. All very complex.
At any rate, these wind shield manufacturers all seem to be making a living for a reason. No one is totally happy with the wind shield, especially the stock BMW ones.

OH, and the horns either.

OH, and yeah I am going to miss the "3 button" turn signal switch. I don't know but I suppose the newer opposed twin bikes are also getting the "1 button" duzitall switch. Not. Happy.

But I do have to say of all the turn signal switches I've experienced, none beat the Harley 2 button system. Best ever. One left, one right, to cancel you just push it a second time, and they also have a tilt system to cancel, which is very intuitive, hardly EVER misses a cancel, even on a lane change, but in case it does and you don't notice it, there is also a time limit. EXCELLENT signal switch system, far and away superior to anything else out there, VERY surprised.

ÔÇóits new and reliability unproven
True...however the brand has a very good reputation for quality. A 3 year 36K mile warranty also inspires confidence. I think a lot of people wish they had bought a new unproven 65 Shelby Mustang!

ÔÇónot a "real" BMW engine
This is an argument that frankly is just getting old.
First off Kymco is known as one of the most reliable scooter manufacturers on their own
BMW did not just go and say..".hey...toss us some 650 motors will ya"...they were smart enough to partner with one of the top scooter manufacturers in the world. I am impressed to see them working with a company with a long history of highly reliable scooters. This actually should negate your first point..Kymco reliability has been proven to be extreamly high
This practice is nothing new...PGO, also located in Taiwan made motors for Piaggo Vespa's for years to Piaggio specs...nobody has ever argued that they are not "real" Vespa motors.
Harley owners heads would explode if they ever realized how many parts are not made in the USA

ÔÇóCVT. I dont mind shifting frankly
I ride manual shift and CVT scooters..nothing wrong with shifting but the CVT is nice when stuck in traffic commuting. Also a CVT is much easier and cheaper to modify than a manual gear box. Malossi has already released performance variators, rollers and contra springs. It is really very easy to tune a CVT transmision to your personal preference and you would be amazed at the performance changes that are possible.

ÔÇóIt may depreciate more than comparable BMW bikes
This is possible...it is also possible that it will hold it's value bettter than other BMW bikes. Kinda like predicting the stock market. Except for my rare original Vintage Vespas (64 GS 160 and 68 SS180 super sport) I don't look at a bike as an investment. It's transportation.

ÔÇóFor the same price, I could get a nice used R1200RT
A valid point...now...can you stick a laptop, rain gear, lunch and a change of clothes under the seat? If the R1200RT suits your purposes it may be a better choice...but you are also talking used vs. new...very big difference there

ÔÇóNo dealers I've checked have demos available
Also a valid point however I think more dealers will be stocking and offering demo rides soon.

Last edited:
Kymco has also produced the G650 single cylinder engine for BMW's G650 series.

Taipei, July 3, 2008 (CENS)--Kwang Yang Motor Co., Ltd. (KYMCO), the largest powered two-wheeler (PTW) manufacturer in Taiwan, recently confirmed that it had begun shipping the first batch of 450cc engines contract manufactured for BMW's G450X enduro bike.

Ko Chun-ping, executive vice president, pointed that KYMCO is the first contract maker of motorcycle engines for BMW, confirming his company's world-class technical and quality standards.

With rapidly increasing export orders, most of KYMCO's production plants worldwide are running at full capacity, with the maker expected to produce and sell over one million PTWs this year.

The new BMW G450X is its first model exclusively developed for enduro riding, the most demanding race in the world. BMW debuted the G450X at the 65th International Bicycle and Motorcycle Exhibition in Milan, Italy (EICMA 2007) and announced that the engine would be contract supplied by KYMCO to BMW's stringent quality standard and product specifications.

Ko refused to comment on the order volume and unit price of the BMW engine, but disclosed that BMW and KYMCO started the cooperation project two years ago, with the German partner sending over 10 engineers to help KYMCO set up a new production line and improve production processes. Six German engineers still remain with KYMCO to assure the quality fully meet BMW's requirements.

To meet BMW requirements, KYMCO organized a technical team of 30 experienced technicians, procured brand-new top-end equipment including computer numeric control (CNC) lathes and x-ray inspection instrument etc. But Ko said that KYMCO has truly profited from more than contract making the engine, but has learned valuable lessons the German engineer team, specifically the pursuit of precision, quality and latest engine development technologies.

The executive VP says the really valuable benefit from the engine contract is stating that KYMCO's manufacturing capability has reached world-class. "These invisible assets we gained from the partnership with BMW are expected to effectively upgrade KYMCO's product quality, product added-values, and brand image," Ko claimed.
(by Quincy Liang)

Back