• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tail light woes R90/6

typ181r90

Superkraut
Well, as of yesterday I've broken my 2nd tail light housing in 5 years. Both times it appears that a crack was probably developing around the area where the housing bolts to the rear fender and then one good bump finished off the job. Again, both times I didn't even realize anything was broken until I arrived home which I'm sure only multiplied the damage. Anyone else have an issue like this or is it just me? I figure it's just wear on brittle 39 year old plastic, but after the first time I reinforced the area inside the housing and below it with another metal strip and it still occurred.

Now I'm just scrapping the stock tail light for a metal aftermarket piece that I'll be mounting to the frame instead of the rear fender which will entail making my own mounting bracket, but that's not a big deal.

The tail light housing on my '73 /5 is still going strong after 40 years. I modified my set up to include a strip of rubber between the metal strip ( #3 (under the fender)), and another rubber strip between the turn signal rear bracket (#1) and the housing (#7). Plastic tends to try and "cold form" when clamped down hard; when that happens it starts to get brittle - it's a form of work-hardening. I also used "fender washers" on under the nut on the inside with rubber washers under them.

B0002047.png

>>>>>>>> 250 Aermacchi. spooge.
icon_redface.gif

The tail light housing on my '73 /5 is still going strong after 40 years. I modified my set up to include a strip of rubber between the metal strip ( #3 (under the fender)), and another rubber strip between the turn signal rear bracket (#1) and the housing (#7). Plastic tends to try and "cold form" when clamped down hard; when that happens it starts to get brittle - it's a form of work-hardening. I also used "fender washers" on under the nut on the inside with rubber washers under them.

B0002047.png

>>>>>>>> 250 Aermacchi. spooge.
icon_redface.gif

Everything you said makes sense, but I think I'm done with the plastic. Bought an old Hella one, similar to the style used on the old K??belwagens and Unimogs that's all metal. Also, going to lose the rear fender and cut stainless sheets for the subframe so I don't ruin my seat or battery compartment while I'm at it. Just to show what I'm dealing with as far as the stock ones are concerned.

taillight.jpg

The one on the bottom is the original, which I stopped using after the first crack/separation. The one on the top is the replacement, which, as I mentioned earlier, I reinforced with metal strips on the inside of the housing and where it attached to the fender. I wasn't baja'ing with the bike or anything, just normal street/highway traffic with the occasional bump.

As for the Macchi, that's something else... Was going to restore it, but really hated the "sportster" look of it so I went an entirely different route. Now it's got a Benelli tank and a lot of Italian race stuff that's sitting on my shelf while I wait for some other stuff to arrive. I have a build thread and miscellaneous ramblings located HERE

Time to balance those carbs! :)

Hah! Wouldn't that be an easy fix! In all seriousness my carbs are probably the most sorted part of the bike and even with a Swiss cheese looking lightened flywheel my airhead is still smooth and ticking like a Rolex.

My buddies all have triumphs and those are a whole other story. One of them shakes so badly it sheared the head off the magneto drive, twice...

Back