• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

NEW F800GS/POOR Mpg's

Polarbear

Polarbear
Its still very new at only 600m, but the gas consumption is off the chart??? Getting 34-40mpg's is very unacceptable and wondered? Its probably a BMW easy fix at first service? Any others been here, seen this on a new F800GS? The new F700GS is doing a tad better, bought same day. It is getting 50+mpg right now, but TOO, is supposed to get way over 60mpg! What are the F800GSs getting in the real world for gas mileage? I expect over the 50/55mpg mark easy! Probably a simple BMW diagnostics on their computer thing solves this? Randy

Hi Randy, my F800gs, for the most part, seems to average about 52mpg. I don't really recall any wild changes from new to now. I don't beat it- just ride. It's still early so hopefully it will get to what you were hoping. If/when you bring it in to the dealer (600mi svc.) the computer hook-up will be able to check things out. I almost hate to ask as so many people have decided the computer read-out is gospel, you are doing this mpg figuring with a little math? My read-out is rather iffy. Good luck. Gary

Good, will check MATH:)

My son's bike, so I will suggest he do the math next time. My past Beemers have ALL had computers that have been dead on accurate, computing the mpg's. We will check the math next fillup, good point. I didn't know the mpg's went so in the toilet with these F800s, running harder. MY GSA1200 certainly does go down there in the 30s for mileage, as its run harder/faster. I get the 42-45mpg's only with slow(55-60mph) touring on the GSA1200. Hope the F800GS does a tad better. Its a real fun ride so far in the entertainment dept.:)....F800GS and F700GS, new in the family here. Randy.....PS; My first impression is the F700GS is smoother all around, so maybe the lighter cam and tuning is more user friendly? Miles will tell.

............. I didn't know the mpg's went so in the toilet with these F800s, running harder. ..................

Wringing the crap out of my F800 GS in the small Smokey's back roads, spending most of the time in 2nd -4th I still get over 50 mpg.

Your mileage does seem awful low ...
Have you checked the usual culprits?

chain tension too tight?
dry chain?
bad bearings?
dragging brake caliper?

Also some folks coming from other machines find it very easy to drag the rear brake a bit due to pedal position on the twins.

That is a NEW bike. That is way below BMW's published fuel consumption specifications. Something is not right. Take it to the dealer. Have them check it. Have them fix it.

WE Will:)

At 500 miles now and the bike(s) will go next week to get service. Questions already delivered to our dealer about this topic. They await to see it. AND, the F700 is clearly a TON smoother, easier to ride. This from a 40+ year beemer rider on my current GSA1200. These are my kids new bikes and IF I had to pick today for myself to buy one of these, the F700GS is a WINNER:). The going is still very NEW so I cannot be too hard on the F800GS, as its got a gas consumption thing going on! The brake drag item is a worthy one to look see, ask. I had not given it any thought and this is a NEW rider, rather a greenhorn to this style bike. Just now looking, the rear brake rotor seems happy, not overused. Thanks all. I will return with results from dealer soon. Randy

MCN just hung a full 5 star rating on the F700GS- hope it helps sales...

My only gripe with it is a true nit- the sidestand is shorter than I prefer and has the usual dinky BMW foot,,,,,

Hola Randy, it is BeemerDonS tus Amigo from Zonieland. Just returned from Dos Cabos, Baja California Sur, Mexico and my 2009 F650GS Twin "Salma Hayek" consistently got 50+ mpg even with my big fat Gringo butt aboard her. PGlaves is right on, something is rotten here!

IMG_2849.jpg

Defiantly something wrong. I've never pulled in a MPG figure lower than 45 and that was loaded for a trip running on the interstate into a headwind. I usually average between 50 and 55 between fillups and have seen one as high as 67MPG in the Ozarks. My on board computer has been pretty accurate to within a 2 or 3 MPG at all times as confirmed by some simple math.

Thanks;

Yeah, we go to BMW for 600 mile service, tomorrow. All this comes up. I'm not too worried, as its a new bike and too many out there with good things going on. It'll break in and get right. Seems the last two days the F800GSmpg's HAS risen to mid 40s and the F700GS has been mid 50s so far. They are both at 600+ miles now. This topic has always been an issue for me and ALL my Beemers , currently on the GSA1200 for me and I watch my mpg's like a hawk, always have. I'm watching my Kids bikes like a Father I guess, probably trying to help too much. Its their first bikes, so go figure. I'm jealous and HOPE I do not get too much so and buy myself another! I will ride the 130(each way) miles with them to dealer and keep my wallet locked in saddlebag:). I still prefer the F700GS as a very nice, smooth runner and nice fit for myself. The F800GS, a very close call for 2nd. The F800 21" front tire certainly feels different( to the negative) on the road, more'so than I would have ever guessed? NOW, I must age a tad more to get the GSA1200 from under me for the lighter ones.... Randy

Its still very new at only 600m, but the gas consumption is off the chart??? Getting 34-40mpg's is very unacceptable and wondered? Its probably a BMW easy fix at first service? Any others been here, seen this on a new F800GS? The new F700GS is doing a tad better, bought same day. It is getting 50+mpg right now, but TOO, is supposed to get way over 60mpg! What are the F800GSs getting in the real world for gas mileage? I expect over the 50/55mpg mark easy! Probably a simple BMW diagnostics on their computer thing solves this? Randy

I've only put 1 tankful through my 700GS (2 rides) but I got over 60 mpg...closer to 67mpg ..... and I didn't baby it ...... joy

Back