• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

New Member Shipping Bike to UK

chuckmcgee

chuckmcgee
Greetings! I'm getting ready to ship my bike to the UK via Schumacher Cargo Logistics from LA. My intention is to tour the UK and parts of Western Europe for four to five months and then ship the bike home. The shipping price is less than $500 but I have been told that the Taxes, duties,Custom Inspections, Destination Customs Clearance, port charges and unloading charges could add up to an additional 300 to 400 UK Pounds ($450 to $600). Anyone having experiences with this or who knows more about the procedures please let me know. Sent to chuck@chuckmcgee.com. Thanks

Shipping Bike to UK

I've no personal experience with this but try this link. These folks seem to be experts at this sort of thing. I did meet a couple who were part of the HU family last summer on the ferry from Vancouver to Victoria BC. They'd shipped their GSA from Canada to Europe and Austrialia.

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/get-ready

Klick on the "Get Ready" tab and it'll open up all the pertinent info, paper work, carnet, shipping options, duties etc.

Good luck. I hope to do this myself soon.

Greetings! I'm getting ready to ship my bike to the UK via Schumacher Cargo Logistics from LA.

Just saw that you're in Idaho. It costs $1272 to ship a F650GS twin weighing less then 500 pounds from Vancouver to London Heathrow via Air Canada.

Granted that's a lot more then by cargo but the advantage is you and your bike arrive at the same time. Nor do you have to give up the bike for a month while it travels by ship. Apparently you show up at AC Cargo in Heathrow with a couple of litres of gas and your paper work, clear customs and off you go. No large fees, longshoremen benevolent funds to pay into or anything like that.

I read on the HU site where lots of riders from the USA have been riding north to Canada to fly their bikes overseas because the post 911 restrictions in Canada are not as stringent as they are in the US.

You could ride from Boise ride up to Calgary and have the bike flown to the UK from Canada. Just some thinking outside of the box.

Romany

Back