• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Swingarm Bearings R75/6 1976

cseltz

The "bushing" shown in the attached photo was in backwards from what is noted in the manual. According to the manual the "cap" is supposed to be behind the oil seal. Mine was definately on the outside when it came apart. Did they actually do it both ways or does anyone think mine might have been put together wrong by some PO? I will have plenty of additional questions as I make my way through this project. Thanks.

Attachments

• 033.jpg
    033.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 72
  • 039.jpg
    039.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 72
take a look at this picture

Hope these pictures are helpful.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 60
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 59
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 59
OK, now I see what the "cap" is. This seems similar to the "top hat" that is used as part of the wheel bearing stack. As for the wheel bearing top hat, it's been said that the orientation doesn't make much difference. The only critical issue with the top hat is the length of it as it must be dimensionally correct to provide the right preload. If the top hat is turned so that the flange is inside the seal, it won't come loose and fly around the garage when the wheel is removed. That was the only advantage.

I suspect the same applies here with the swingarm set up.

I cannot tell if this is the same as mine or not. I will take mine the rest of the way apart and compare. It looks like you have a bushing on each side of the outer (of 2, I assume) bearings? Thanks.

Back