Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2013 R1200RT has arrived and is being assembled.

2013 R1200RT has arrived and is being assembled.

Just got the call. Now a question that might sound stupid to some but there is a lot of experience out there that should be spread around.
    My two previous bikes were naked and I have no experience in doing anything special to "tupperware". I have heard mentioned something about lemon "Pledge" but I can't find that thread anymore.
    What are your best ideas on keeping my new birthday present (90 anniversary edition) from my wife looking as good as she does?
    Please spread your secrets because I have seen the pictures of some of the older bikes and they look great.
    Thank you in advance

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by sickticket View Post
    Please spread your secrets because I have seen the pictures of some of the older bikes and they look great.
    No secret. Wash it. Dry it. Wax it once in awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    No secret. Wash it. Dry it. Wax it once in awhile.
    And don't fall down.

John

Ok, I am sitting here red faced. Having never had all that tupperware I was thinking that there were some special care or products necessary.
    I sit corrected.
    Wash and wax it is.
    Plus, no fall down - go boom.

Yup! Pretty easy. Good automotive car wash (no dish soap or the like) and some good wax. I usually wax mine 2 - 3 times per riding season.
    Jason
    Grand rapids, MI
    2012 BMW R1200RT

[QUOTE=sickticket;866656]Just got the call. Now a question that might sound stupid to some but there is a lot of experience out there that should be spread around.
    My two previous bikes were naked and I have no experience in doing anything special to "tupperware". I have heard mentioned something about lemon "Pledge" but I can't find that thread anymore.

Yep, lemon Pledge works on painted body parts and the windshield. I use that and several other products.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by RAINEY View Post
    Yup! Pretty easy. Good automotive car wash (no dish soap or the like) and some good wax. I usually wax mine 2 - 3 times per riding season.
    +1
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle & High Performance Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Pusser's Pyrate Society Zygmund's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenwald View Post
    +1
    +2
    '02 R1150RT

P Monk

Lemon pledge works however,

Watch out for bees!!!! It attracts them like crazy. Best stuff is the old Honda spray polish, not made by honda anymore but still available.
    P. Monk
    74 R90/6 (also know by bride as the Black Hole). 09 R1200 GS. My wife, 1953 model who has survived aplastic anemia and a bone marrow transplant.

Quote Originally Posted by dpmonk View Post
    Watch out for bees!!!! It attracts them like crazy. Best stuff is the old Honda spray polish, not made by honda anymore but still available.
    +1

I have not used a hose on either of my last two bikes. A can of this stuff can easily last a year, unless your using it every day then it will likely last 3-6 months. Good stuff.

Scot

Quote Originally Posted by sickticket View Post
    Just got the call. Now a question that might sound stupid to some but there is a lot of experience out there that should be spread around.
    What are your best ideas on keeping my new birthday present (90 anniversary edition) from my wife looking as good as she does?
    Thank you in advance
    Thank you in advance

There is a very good product called dri wash n guard..that's how it is printed on the bottle. It works well on every surface DO NOT USE..on seat,pegs,grips...
    It is a waterless wash &glaze. I used Pledge for years, & like this much better.

Ron

My auto body shop owner friend uses Lemon Pledge as a
    final step just before the car owner arrives to pick up
    the car. Whatever dust has settled on the car while it was
    in the shop isn't a problem it doesn't scratch the finish.

I use Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax ($10 at Wal-Mart) to keep my bike as well as my cars looking good. It's really great stuff and easy to use. It comes in a spray which I then wipe/buff with micro-fiber towels. So much easier than the old days of pastes and all the elbow grease. It's real good at removing little spots of road grease and tar too.

There's nothing better than good ol paste wax for lasting protection. Make sure you wash the bugs off as soon as possible. Moisture reacts with the bug guts to create an acid that will eat into any paint eventually. The spray waxes don't offer much protection but are a quick and easy shine. You see the car show guys detailing with that all of the time.
    09 R1200RT, no longer own 99R1100RT, 98 Honda Shadow 1100, Penton 125cc six days, Hodaka 125cc Wombat

Bluenoser
    Use Plexus not pledge on the windshield. Pledge will tend to yellow over time and the Plexus fills small scratches. As to wax, some of the quick stuff by any of the major manufactures works well and it goes on easy & buffs to a good shine.
    1971 R50/5 SWB with R75/6 drivetrain
    2013 DL650