• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Back in the day...

I'm not sure. About the same time Kawasaki owners decides their "Concours" was a "Concourse".

Mac

PS Rondel and Roundel do mean the same thing, but Roundel is derived from the French-English Rondel.

The correct spelling is "roundel". If you Google it you will find it applies to any sort of round identifying badge, such as the three colour concentric circles used to identify British, French, or Italian military aircraft. For the 30 years I've been around BMWs it has always been "roundel" in everything I've seen.

I do technical writing for a living. Since the advent of the internet one comes across dozens of innovative spellings and grammatical constructions every day. Back in the days of print, there was usually some sort of copy editing to catch these things, but with everybody having access to a keyboard now, lots of stuff goes public with no verification.

I teach at the college level and unfortunately have to agree with your assessment. My students increasingly demonstrate the written impact of the Internet and social media "shorthand", even in their formal papers. At this rate we will soon be back to grunting and pointing at each other with sharp sticks.

I thought "The Rondels" were a girl-group in the '60s.

You're thinking of The Ronettes.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/POhxyWDgqU0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My students increasingly demonstrate the written impact of the Internet and social media "shorthand", even in their formal papers. At this rate we will soon be back to grunting and pointing at each other with sharp sticks.

I moderate a professional international product design website, and I'd be happy with them having a clear understanding the difference between then and than, their, they're, and their. With recent rumblings about cursive being dropped from public school curriculae I have to ask myself if they will even be able to read handwriting in another twenty years. Let alone, sign their own names.. .. ..

Back