Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 73 R60/5 Question

73 R60/5 Question

I have always wanted a toaster tank BMW. I have come across a 73 R60/5 for a nice price and was looking for any advice on what to look for as far as known problems are concerned. It will be used only a weekend part time ride. Thanks.
    Robert Cantrell
    Spring Hill, Fl
    92 BMW K75S 73 BMW R60/5
    13 Victory Cross Country Tour

Bluenoser
    No more problems than any other BMW of that vintage. If there is no maintenance history for the bike then you can be buying a mess of problems or maybe if you are lucky, none. There is no way to really tell as outside condition can hide a lot of issues. You don't say if you are familiar with Airheads but if you are not then see if you can get somebody who is too have a look at the bike with you.

Do some searching of this site as well as others that cover these old bikes and you'll get a feel for what could/can go wrong. They are basically a fairly simple bike with no complicated electronics so everything is fixable if you have the ability or the money.
    1971 R50/5 SWB with R75/6 drivetrain
    2013 DL650

James.A
    An R60/5 would have been originally fitted with Type 53 mechanical Bing carburetors. If old fuel goes bad in them, they can be difficult to near impossible to revive. Additionally, it can be challenging to get them to seal up on the intake stubs on the heads. There is a flaw with the starter relay that makes it susceptible to weak batteries. You can read all about that on Snowbum's web page.

Tt would have originally come with Everbest petcocks. They are awful. Most bikes have been retrofitted with Karcoma taps.

Other than these few issues, /5's are very fine bikes. In some aspects, they are much better built than the later models. They are pretty much point to point hand wired. The 4 speed clutch release bearing and related parts are much more robust.
    Last edited by James.A; 03-19-2013 at 03:22 PM. Reason: content

Tt would have originally come with Everbest petcocks. They are awful. Most bikes have been retrofitted with Karcoma taps.

I called them Everleaks ... the ones on my '73 R75/5 died early on. I replaced them with Karcomas; the straight-through version (still available from Bing, Hucky's, etc.) vs. the later 90?? type.

For the most part, you won't encounter any problems with getting replacement parts for the rest of the machine.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Thanks for the replies. I was also wondering how do you know if it's a SWB or LWB?
    Robert Cantrell
    Spring Hill, Fl
    92 BMW K75S 73 BMW R60/5

1973 was the transition year from Short to Long. They accomplished the transition the first year by welding in a tubular extension between the Final Drive mating flange and the swing arm tube. Late the drive shaft was manufactured to the longer one-piece configuration.

Short Wheel Base swing arm

Later Long Wheel Base swing arm

[
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lew Morris

Thanks for the pics! Really hope this turns out good. Going to check out the bike on Wen morning. Will post back on if the deals works out. Thanks again for all the help.
    Robert Cantrell
    Spring Hill, Fl
    92 BMW K75S 73 BMW R60/5

You can ask me but here's what's come up with my R60/5 - bought it with 80k - bought it at a very fair price - bike runs and was somewhat maintained.

Over the winter, I put her on my Harbor Freight lift, removed the swing arm, removed the swingarm bearings to clean & regrease and re-install new bearing keepers; removed the transmission - guessed correctly that splines were bone dry. Removed clutch and replaced with brand new oem unit - original was kaput. While in that far, removed flywheel and replaced main seal & oil pump O ring and re-painted timing & TDC marks on flywheel.

Speedo / Tach bounced like crazy - sent it to a fellow Airhead who works on speedos and had it serviced - he did a wonderful job.

Bought new rubber foot pegs, new throttle cam & grips (gears were also kaput).

Getting the tank re-painted (if the painter ever calls to tell me its done). Will need a new battery.

Tires are very new, shocks seem solid, and brakes are also very good.

Just general maintenance & lots of cleaning up grease on frame & engine. Exhaust in general good shape but am fabricating a new crossover pipe from True Value (BMW wants $80 for a crossover pipe - nuts).

I rode her before making an offer and she's a solid ride - looking forward to this one - she also came with Krausers in very good shape.

Just takes a lot of love & detail, vision & patience to bring these bikes into proper service!

Good luck.
    Ken Tuvman
    Excelsior, MN
    K75s, R65LS, R60/5

Bought it

Worked out a deal and I am now the owner of a 73 R60/5 Toaster! Here are a few pics.

Robert Cantrell
    Spring Hill, Fl
    92 BMW K75S 73 BMW R60/5

Sweet! Those mufflers I've never seen before... .

Lew Morris

73 R60/5 Question

Quote Originally Posted by 67972 View Post
    Worked out a deal and I am now the owner of a 73 R60/5 Toaster! Here are a few pics.

Looks to be in nice shape! Very jealous

Nice color, too. Congrats on the purchase!

Thanks guys. I am really happy so far. It will take about a month or so to get her road worthy. See needs tires, tubes a good tune up an oil change etc. About the mufflers they are really loud, not sure if I will leave them or not. it just depends on cafe racer or stock, leaning toward stock only shows 6400 miles.
    Robert Cantrell
    Spring Hill, Fl
    92 BMW K75S 73 BMW R60/5

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by 67972 View Post
    Thanks guys. I am really happy so far. It will take about a month or so to get her road worthy. See needs tires, tubes a good tune up an oil change etc. About the mufflers they are really loud, not sure if I will leave them or not. it just depends on cafe racer or stock, leaning toward stock only shows 6400 miles.
    She's a beauty!
    I'll second your thought about stock. That white and chrome combo is classic and classy.
    Enjoy!!

Headlight question

I need a favor if someone has the time. I would like to see a picture of the headlight as if you were going to replace the bulb. My reflector was damaged so I ordered a new one (found it in the microfish) but it is not like the one inside my headlight bucket. My goal is to make her as stock as possible. Thanks in advance for any help.
    Robert Cantrell
    Spring Hill, Fl
    92 BMW K75S 73 BMW R60/5